Windows 10: Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files?

Discus and support Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there an app that will display fortune cookies using data files from the UNIX fortune program? I am looking for something elegant and unobtrusive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ricecrispies, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files?

Is there an app that will display fortune cookies using data files from the UNIX fortune program? I am looking for something elegant and unobtrusive that can display cards from the Brian Eno/Peter Schmidt Oblique Strategies, for which a fortune data file exists. For those who are not familiar with them, the Oblique Strategies are a set of odd suggestions to help creative people when they are stuck.

Alternatively, a native Windows implementation of the Oblique Strategies would be great, but I don't believe one exists, except for a rather ugly and dated version for Windows 95. Perhaps it should be no surprise that Mac users are better served in this regard.

:)

ricecrispies, Feb 4, 2019

2. Unix Commands in Windows Power Shell

Dear Microsoft,

I would like to thank you for emulating the Unix commands in the Windows 10 PowerShell. I have been migrating my development environment from Unix to Windows and being able to use my Unix muscle memory to list, copy, remove, and execute files has been a
    hugely helpful!

jessethepro, Feb 4, 2019
  3. Wheel of Fortune app not connecting to internet anymore -- please help!

Hi Grizzy,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

Let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Follow the below steps.

Step 1.

I would recommend you to run app troubleshooter and check if it helps. Follow the below link to run app troubleshooter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

If the issue still persist try the below steps.

Step 2.

I suggest you to reset the Windows store and check if it helps.

• Type "Run" on the search bar and hit enter.

• Now type: "WSReset.exe" and hit enter to reset the Windows apps store.
    Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files?

Which Unix Do You Use?

An embedded Linux on my NAS *Smile Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files? :)

Also, since this is about Unix based OSes, why is everyone listing their Windows version? Besides, how is Unix related to a mac vs PC discussion?

DanTheBanjoman, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files?

1. Is there an app that will read UNIX fortune data files? - Similar Threads - app read UNIX

2. How to backup apps, data and files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup apps, data and files?: Hello,I am using Windows Insider as a Dev Channel, sadly Windows wants me to do a clean install of Windows in order to unenroll from Windows Insider. My concern is I have files and apps that I have along with my personal settings how can I backup this like I can with Apple...
  3. Windows 11 reads paths as linux/unix after install of wsl 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 reads paths as linux/unix after install of wsl 2: After installing wsl 2 all the paths in any console show up as linux paths, and it's not finding stuff and causing issues with Visual StudioIs there a way to fix this?...
  4. Windows 11 reads paths as linux/unix after install of wsl 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 reads paths as linux/unix after install of wsl 2: After installing wsl 2 all the paths in any console show up as linux paths, and it's not finding stuff and causing issues with Visual StudioIs there a way to fix this?...
  5. Windows 10 App data files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 App data files: I have an Excel file that got saved in the Appdata/roaming space. Now it will not load formula data from other files that are on my C: drive. How can I restore the file to the C: drive? I have two computers on my home network, both running Windows 10 and on the same router....
  6. Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 with Bitlocker: Data recovery unable to read files: I am trying to backup some data out of a bootlooping/non starting Windows 10 system. The drives are encrypted with BitLocker and unlocking with the recovery key worked. I can browse e.g. the C: drive just fine and see all folders and file names. Opening of files within the...
  7. fortune island DLC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fortune island DLC: i recently purchased the fortune island DLC from microsoft /xbox for my windows 10 pc. it says i own it, but will not install. i bought forza horizon 4 when it first came out, now i ordered the update and it will not install. any ideas????? please help with any advice...
  8. Reading Apps

Reading Apps: I have made Notepad my default app for opening documents. How do I undo this? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/reading-apps/67dbaa37-6a7e-4f9d-a75a-49a158722f4e
  9. People App's Data File Location

People App's Data File Location: Where does the People App keep its data? I make frequent changes and updates and would like to make a copy after each change. I lost all the names after a KBCI error and had to restore Windows from a day old Macrium backup. I sure would have been easier to just drag and drop...
  10. Poor performance reading large data files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Poor performance reading large data files: I have a program that I usually run on a Win7 PC but occasionally run on a Win10 PC. The program reads about 2.1GB of data into storage from an SSD drive. On my Win7 system this read takes about 26 seconds. On the Win10 system it takes 4 minutes. The two PCs have...