Windows 10: Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups?

Discus and support Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This might be a stupid question, but I really have no experience in handling large amounts of files like this. I've been burned once where I thought I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lesbiab, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups?

This might be a stupid question, but I really have no experience in handling large amounts of files like this. I've been burned once where I thought I properly combined 2 backups, then later realized I'd lost an important chunk of my documents. Now I'm at a point where I have a 1TB external HDD full of backups from 3 different computers. My ultimate goal is to consolidate all of those files into one "master backup" to be stored on an external SSD, then start using the 1TB HDD for periodic backups once more. I know the easy answer is to just buy another drive, but I'm on a serious budget and I'd like for those files to be in proper order regardless.

My latest attempt involved having a million different Explorer windows open, trying to dump everything into the appropriate folders on a drive borrowed from a friend. However it quickly became overwhelming and tedious. I'm asking if there's either an easier way to do this within Explorer, OR if there's a separate piece of software built for this sort of thing. Any help is much appreciated!!

submitted by /u/lesbiab
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lesbiab, Nov 22, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Nov 22, 2020
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Mathragh Win User

Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups?

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups?

1. Is there an easier/more efficient way to combine years of hard drive backups? - Similar Threads - easier more efficient

2. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  3. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  4. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one: I have been copying and saving my hard drive data for many years from different computers all window machines about 30 major hard drive backups. What I would like to do is combine all of these into one folder without copies of identical files so that I can find all of the...
  5. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one: I have been copying and saving my hard drive data for many years from different computers all window machines about 30 major hard drive backups. What I would like to do is combine all of these into one folder without copies of identical files so that I can find all of the...
  6. combining all of my Hard Drive backups into one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  8. Hard drive crash with no backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive crash with no backup: Hard drive crash on PC with no backup. Do I need to buy a new license key for Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crash-with-no-backup/a8309843-ad58-4a8a-8580-9641a8fe07fa
  9. Please let the users customize Windows in a more easier way.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Please let the users customize Windows in a more easier way.: I like the Windows 10 design, it's beautiful for me. But I think that this system could be more customizable. I'll talk first about icons: the user could change icons of main system folders, start menu and the taskbar more easier; also, let them create themes with those...
  10. Combine Hard Drive Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Combine Hard Drive Partitions: I am trying to combine my C: with D:. There are 3 other partitions on the drive and I'm not sure which partitions it is safe to delete or combine. 1st Partition: 1.36 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) 2nd Partition: 518 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) 3rd Partition:...