Windows 10: Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on...

Discus and support Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on this file history drive is missing". I have all my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GBLFC, Oct 25, 2020.

1. GBLFC Win User

Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on...

Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on this file history drive is missing".

I have all my files from my old pc but cannot get the option to restore the files from the old back up as I made the mistake of turning on file history backup first.

I can see the backup I need when I stop file history but I get the "errors detected in your file history" message when I select the required old backup.

:)

GBLFC, Oct 25, 2020
  2. Rrhain Win User

Get File History to recognize previous backup

The problem isn't the folder structure. I included that simply to point out that I can see all the files. They just have the time/datestamp attached to the end.

The problem is that File History does not recognize the existence of this structure. As I said, when I go to File History, click on Select Drive, select the network drive, and then tell it I want to use a previous
    backup on this File History drive, it cannot find it. It has a completely different User name and Computer name. That is, I'm looking for something like:

User name: Original user name from original computer

Computer name: Original computer name from original computer

But instead, the only thing that appears is:

User name: Name on new computer

Computer name: Name on new computer

I've seen the instructions you've mentioned, but they are incomplete. They say:

As I mentioned, if you have already fallen prey to the one of the first two stumbling blocks, you won't get an opportunity to restore your existing backup
    because the I Want To Use A Previous Backup On This File History Drive check box will never appear again once File History has made a new backup. The workaround to this problem involves deleting the File History backup you inadvertently made and re-creating
    your user account on your new system. Then you'll be able to use File History the correct way. In next week's follow-up article, I'll explain these steps in detail.

And that seems to be precisely the problem I have. I cannot find "next week's follow-up article."

So how do I do this? How do I convince File History to see this other backup from a previous computer with different names?

Rrhain, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Meghana C Win User
    issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Oct 25, 2020
  4. Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on...

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on...

1. Is there an easy way to resurrect the option in file history "use a previous backup up on... - Similar Threads - easy resurrect option

2. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  3. Previous backup not appearing in File History

Previous backup not appearing in File History: My PC laptop is having a keyboard issue, and it was recommended that I back up my files and reset my computer + clear files to see if the issue resolved itself. After resetting my computer, I am trying to restore my files to the backup I made on an external hard drive using...
  4. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  5. Get File History to recognize previous backup

Get File History to recognize previous backup: I had my files stored in File History on a network drive. I have verified that they're all there. But when I go to restore them, File History can't seem to find them. They're in a folder name/computer name/Data/C/Users/username/everything... However, when I go to File...
  6. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  7. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  8. Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History

Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History: This article shows you how restore a Backup using File History. Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions regarding basic tasks in Windows 10. Guides are a single info-graphic that you can follow from beginning to end. Note: File History,...
  9. Backup using File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035
  10. File History Backup Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Options: Hi, I have a two part question. First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports that the last backup was on 5/9/2016, about a week after I set it up, and viewing the data seems to support that, nothing dated...