Windows 10: Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

Discus and support Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi I ran a hyper-v vm this morning and I tried to add a physical drive which I do regularly as I need to access the data on it. Up until today, that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mpooley, May 28, 2020.

1. mpooley Win User

Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

Hi
    I ran a hyper-v vm this morning and I tried to add a physical drive which I do regularly as I need to access the data on it.
    Up until today, that data has always been on an SSD but I recently moved all that data onto a new NVMe drive.

The first time I tried, I added it while the VM was running and that blue screened the VM. when I tried to run that VM again it was trashed.
    I had a backup so tried adding the drive before starting the VM. This did seem to work but I could not see the drive in explorer.
    I could see it in disk management though. I tried a few times but none would give me access to the NVMe drive and I had one more crash.
    I'm adding the drive as a SCSI drive as that's the only option.
    Has anyone ever encountered this?

Thanks

Mike

:)

mpooley, May 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, May 28, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ? [​IMG]

Jerry8A, May 28, 2020
  4. Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

little cat, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

1. Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ? - Similar Threads - Issue NVMe drives

2. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  3. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  4. Weird NVME Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird NVME Issue: Hi Everyone, I'm having a strange NVME issue and cannot figure it out. I recently purchased a WD SN850 1TB as a second drive for my PC, but I cannot get it to be recognised in Windows at all. Not in Device Manager or Disk Management. It is shown in the BIOS and as a drive and...
  5. New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement: I just replaced my SSD boot drive a few days ago with an Nvme drive and have since blue screened twice while playing Skyrim SE. I haven't yet updated the Nvidia graphics drivers since a recent restore, as the latest drivers seem to have issues loading tbmalloc.dll and...
  6. Issue installing windows on nvme drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue installing windows on nvme drive: submitted by /u/sessinnek [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/km8hlz/issue_installing_windows_on_nvme_drive/
  7. Nvme drive disappered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nvme drive disappered: Hi everyone thanks for reading my endeavors. So a few days ago I was overclocking my ram and had a crash on start up and got error code0xc000000f. I did some research and just decided to reinstall windows using an ISO. Ever since I reinstalled windows my NVMe drive...
  8. Transfer to NVME drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer to NVME drive?: I just got a new Western Digital NVME drive. Never had one before. Figure it good time to get one since new consoles have them. It's the SN750 which is a pretty good one. Currently have a normal Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD and a HDD. OS and games are on the SSD. Random shit on...
  9. NVME 1.3 Drive Bug

NVME 1.3 Drive Bug: Not sure which update exactly caused this issue to appear but my Adata SX 8200NP appears to have its write speeds capped at SATA speeds of 550MBps despite being an NVME 1.3 SSD managing NVME level sequential read speeds of 2.8GBps....
  10. Problems with 2nd NVME drive

Problems with 2nd NVME drive: I am building a new system to dual boot, I have installed both operating systems on different drives, Linux on one of the NVME drives and Windows ver 1909 on a SATA SSD. IN BIOS/UEFI I always see both NVME drives but when logging into Windows it sometimes sees both drives...