Windows 10: Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files?

Discus and support Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a MyCloud device which hasn’t worked seamlessly since the day that I purchased it a few years ago. So I bought a Seagate EHD and have been using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lbeck, Sep 27, 2019.

1. lbeck Win User

Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files?

I have a MyCloud device which hasn’t worked seamlessly since the day that I purchased it a few years ago. So I bought a Seagate EHD and have been using their Toolkit until their hardware EHD failed. I tried using Toolkit with my WD devices and found that it’s only good with Seagate.

So I purchased a WD EasyStore EHD and am trying to use the WD Discovery software. The installation protocol asks if I have a MyCloud device. Great! now I’ve found a WD program to couple MyCloud with EasyStore. On progressing with the installation, I get the message that my MyCloud is no longer supported.

So what software do I need to backup/restore my computer?? I have Macrium free but it apparently doesn't support individual file sync/restore with the free version.

Are there other free (or nominally expensive) programs to protect my data?

I’ll be happy to supply screenshots or other information as needed.

:)

lbeck, Sep 27, 2019
  2. suraswami Win User

Deleted file restore software.

Shute I never thought about system restore. But its been more than a week now, don't know if I can go back that far. But even then will it put back user files?

suraswami, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Pinchy Win User

Oh.

So your running the backup software from the server and not the computer.

Yep I see whats happened. Just for the future (althought I am sure you wont make the same mistake again) make sure you select and option that says "if it cant find the file, DONT delete". If it doesnt have that option...switch to SynbackSE.

An FYI: difference between incremental and differential is that differential copies all new / changed files since the last full backup......incremental copies all new / changed files since the last backup no matter what it was (incremental/full/differential).

Now to get your files back:

Tried a system restore on the server?

Pinchy, Sep 27, 2019
  4. suraswami Win User

I want a good File or HDD recovery software. Free would be ideal but cheap good ones would be fine.

I used Cobian backup to backup all my virtual servers and test files. I wanted to build raid, so I copied 2 x 160GB drives (total 80GB) to my server which has 1TB using the software. After copying the files I built raid on those 2 drives moving to another machine. Now when I go back to my server all the files are gone. Probably my mistake, didn't quiet understand the software and hit the wrong settings.

Now my question is can I get back all those files? I haven't formatted the drives on my server.

I tried couple of trial software, but they need huge amount to activate and restore those files.

Anyone know of free or under $30 please let me know.

suraswami, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files? - Similar Threads - free software backup

2. Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?: I'm looking for something similar to time machine on mac that backs everything up and restores everything to a new computer in the exact location as the last one. I performed a back up on windows 10 but it really only backed up my files and I still had to manually reinstall...
  3. Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?: I've tried Easeus, AOMEI, and a few others, but can't figure out how to do an incremental backup. Basically I'd like to either backup my Disk or just the files and folders on my C:/ drive, and have the ability to do an incremental backup every week or so. Easeus says free...
  4. Is there any way to backup just the Windows OS and not any files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there any way to backup just the Windows OS and not any files?: I recently ran into a problem when I reset Windows causing me to spend 80 dollars to install a completely new version of Windows from a repair shop. I don’t have any important files, so is there a way to just backup Windows 10 OS to a hard drive without any files? I don’t...
  5. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  6. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  7. Possible to backup software and restore?

Possible to backup software and restore?: Okay, so, it looks like I'm going to have to refresh or reset Windows 10 at this point (I'm having an issue with it but I have tried all possible solutions). Is it possible to backup the program files, and/or registry settings for those programs and then restore afterwards?...
  8. Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK

Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK: Hi there Those using things like NAS boxes / other servers with LINUX type OS's Macrium Reflect (current version - Free one I'm using) DOES backup Linux system Image (you don't need to CLONE) if file system is EXT4 - including Boot partition etc. It restores fine as...
  9. In search of free backup software

In search of free backup software: Few months back I lost all my favorites in Microsoft Edge. Some great folks here recommended I try a program called Recuva from the same folks that make Malwarebytes. Although I tried the program I was never able to recover my favorites file. So, I've learned my lesson and...
  10. Free file backup software

Free file backup software: Hi, Can anyone suggest a good free third party software for file backup.....? I googled it, but it seems that some free tools do not work well with W10. I have Macrium and use it for Imaging/Cloning, but the free version does not offer file backup. I would like to...