Windows 10: Is there any MozBackup alternative?

Discus and support Is there any MozBackup alternative? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have scoured the web and can't seem to find a reliable backup/restore tool for Firefox/Thunderbird Any suggestions? 166373 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Spartan, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Spartan Win User

Is there any MozBackup alternative?

I have scoured the web and can't seem to find a reliable backup/restore tool for Firefox/Thunderbird

Any suggestions?

:)

Spartan, Oct 14, 2020

2. Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

I have used MozBackup for years to restore Thunderbird after a new laptop or a reinstall of Windows, but this time it has failed, over and over.

First, it couldn't find the pcv but it could when I went into Browse and re-selected the file. Also, I don't remember seeing this "default-release" option before.

Is there any MozBackup alternative? [​IMG]

Eventually it went thru the process successfully but when I open Thunderbird this is what I see - I'm sure that in the past Thunderbird opens as it was when I backed it up, not as a new blank program that needs the email a/c setting up :-/

Is there any MozBackup alternative? [​IMG]

I've gone round in circles - I saw (paraphrasing) "after you've installed Thunderbird open it once to make sure profiles.ini is created" but there's no profiles.ini to be found in the x86 folder. Somewhere else it said the same thing, almost, but it was registry.dat that should have been created and that's not there either.

Then I read that MozBackup 1.5.1 has problems and that 1.5.2 beta is preferable - I've always used 1.5.1. Could I install 1.5.2 beta on top of 1.5.1, or uninstall the latter and install the former? The backed up files are on D-drive, completely separate from program files, and this has always been the case.

I also found a suggested fix - the pcv file should be changed to zip and unzipped, which I've done after copying the pcv into a separate folder... but what then? I can't understand how to go about it.

I started using Thunderbird to replace Outlook Express, so you can imagine there's a heckuva lot of history to be lost *Sick

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough - am so frazzled and just can't keep stopping all ongoing "work" to install/uninstall/reboot this 'n that. I do hope someone can recommend a step-by-step.

(And to make matters worse, I'm getting the same problem that made me reinstall Win10 in the first place, that's going to be another question to TenForums!)

clemenzina, Oct 14, 2020
  3. amcgall Win User
    mozbackup failing in batch file

I know that the author is no longer supporting mozbackup. But I'm experiencing a problem that I thought perhaps someone has found a fix for.

I run mozbackup from a batch file with a single line of code: MozBackup.exe default.mozprofile

default.mozprofile contains instructions telling mozbackup where to store the backup file and other settings.

The problem I'm having is that after a Windows 10 update a few months ago mozbackup ignores the instructions file. Prior to the update it was working fine under Windows 10.

I tried running it in compatibility mode but it's still ignoring the instructions file (default.mozprofile).

amcgall, Oct 14, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

mozbackup failing in batch file

As you know there's no guarantee it can or will work, and FF and Win 10 continue to evolve.

From its site:
    Does that help at all?

dalchina, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Is there any MozBackup alternative? - Similar Threads - MozBackup alternative

2. Win11 Now Has an Alternative to MCT for OS Repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Now Has an Alternative to MCT for OS Repair: IF, for whatever reason, it is necessary to repair the Win11 OS MCT Media Creation Tool can, certainly, be used. But, since the Moment 5 update, KB5034765, back in mid-February, this can be done from within the OS... without fetching or using MCT.> Settings > System >...
  3. Win11 Now Has an Alternative to MCT for OS Repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Now Has an Alternative to MCT for OS Repair: IF, for whatever reason, it is necessary to repair the Win11 OS MCT Media Creation Tool can, certainly, be used. But, since the Moment 5 update, KB5034765, back in mid-February, this can be done from within the OS... without fetching or using MCT.> Settings > System >...
  4. Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?: Linux is an amazing open source operating system and with more people migrating from microsoft to linux the linux apps and softwares will grow and we can leave microsofts **** **** behind....
  5. Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?

Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?: Linux is an amazing open source operating system and with more people migrating from microsoft to linux the linux apps and softwares will grow and we can leave microsofts **** **** behind....
  6. Need alternative wireless adapter options for my old laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need alternative wireless adapter options for my old laptop: I'm trying to find out if there is an alternative wireless adapter that can successfully replace my Qualcomm Atheros wireless adapter in my old Acer laptop. They stopped making updates for this driver in 2016. I've been to the Qualcomm website and they have removed the old...
  7. Need alternative wireless adapter options for my old laptop

Need alternative wireless adapter options for my old laptop: I'm trying to find out if there is an alternative wireless adapter that can successfully replace my Qualcomm Atheros wireless adapter in my old Acer laptop. They stopped making updates for this driver in 2016. I've been to the Qualcomm website and they have removed the old...
  8. Need alternative wireless adapter options for my old laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird/MozBackup failure, am in desperate straits!: I have used MozBackup for years to restore Thunderbird after a new laptop or a reinstall of Windows, but this time it has failed, over and over. First, it couldn't find the pcv but it could when I went into Browse and re-selected the file. Also, I don't remember seeing this...
  10. mozbackup failing in batch file

in Browsers and Email
    mozbackup failing in batch file: I know that the author is no longer supporting mozbackup. But I'm experiencing a problem that I thought perhaps someone has found a fix for. I run mozbackup from a batch file with a single line of code: MozBackup.exe default.mozprofile default.mozprofile contains...