Windows 10: Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

Discus and support Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am participating in a software development. The original code used PowerModeChangedEventArgs to determine the power mode modification. This is valid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lilongliang, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

I am participating in a software development. The original code used PowerModeChangedEventArgs to determine the power mode modification. This is valid in S3 mode, but we tried to work under S0 and found that it does not trigger this event It seems that Power mode will not be modified under modern standby?, so I would like to ask if there is any way to judge in the code that it has entered modern standby?

Thanks.

:)

lilongliang, Feb 21, 2020
  2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. MarcusO7 Win User
    System enters Modern standby when screen shuts off

I've recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I'm confused by Modern standby.

I have set my screen to turn off after 10 minutes, my system to go to sleep after 60 minutes and to hibernate after 4 hours.

But when the screen is turned off the system goes into sleep immediately, and that is true also if I initiate the screen off event manually (e.g. using nircmd).

This is highly annoying. It means I cannot play music or download large files with the screen turned off. I need to leave the screen on, thereby wasting energy and lighting up my room.

From what I've seen on this forum and elsewhere, this behavior is by design. But if it is, why then are there two separate timers for screen off and go to sleep and how am I supposed to play music, download large files or have the computer do anything at
    all without having to leave the screen on?

I am aware that some apps keep working also when the system is in Modern standby but most programs I am using do not, including Google Music or Spotify.

I am also aware that I can solve this by turning of Modern standby in the registry, but then I loose the option to put the system to sleep. I am left only with hibernate.

How can I make my machine run also while the screen is off, yet have the option to put it to sleep when I need to?

MarcusO7, Feb 21, 2020
  4. das10 Win User

Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

Can't enable Modern Standby

I don't if this is relevant, but the page on "Modern Standy" says "You cannot switch between S3 and Modern Standby by changing a setting in the BIOS. Switching the power model is not supported in Windows without a complete OS re-install"

Modern Standby | Microsoft Docs

das10, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

1. Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby? - Similar Threads - function let check

2. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  3. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  4. Windows 11 can't enter Modern standby if be pinged by another device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't enter Modern standby if be pinged by another device: DUT:Notebooksupport modern standbyDUT OS: Windows 11CPU:Intel-Raptor lakeLAN device: KILLER-E2600Test scenario: DUT Turns off firewall and enters sleep mode.S0ixUse another Notebook to "ping" this DUT's IP addressuse command "ping" in windowsI found that if DUT uses LAN...
  5. Windows 11 can't enter Modern standby if be pinged by another device

Windows 11 can't enter Modern standby if be pinged by another device: DUT:Notebooksupport modern standbyDUT OS: Windows 11CPU:Intel-Raptor lakeLAN device: KILLER-E2600Test scenario: DUT Turns off firewall and enters sleep mode.S0ixUse another Notebook to "ping" this DUT's IP addressuse command "ping" in windowsI found that if DUT uses LAN...
  6. Event viewer displays as entering modern standby during sleep, then crashes

Event viewer displays as entering modern standby during sleep, then crashes: Hi,I have a Lenovo ideapad 5 pro 16ARH7, and frequently I will return to my computer which had the lid closed to find it has crashed and I am back on a clean slate login screen. With event viewer, the most recent event before me reopening the computer is it entering modern...
  7. Win10: The system is entering connected standby

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10: The system is entering connected standby: If I leave my laptop locked for like 10 minutes, when I get back, all network connections are gone except for my Cisco VPN. Cisco VPN stays up. Outlook and all other chat apps are disconnected. It will take a while to recover, maybe a minute before I can use it. I really...
  8. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios ahci option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...
  9. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios acpi option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...
  10. modern standby problems entering to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...