Windows 10: Is there any way to copy files to a Win10 computer over a local network?

Discus and support Is there any way to copy files to a Win10 computer over a local network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would have thought this would be a simple and obvious function for Windows, but it seems that Win10 has made this simple obvious function... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by N4AOF, Dec 26, 2019.

1. N4AOF Win User

Is there any way to copy files to a Win10 computer over a local network?

I would have thought this would be a simple and obvious function for Windows, but it seems that Win10 has made this simple obvious function ridiculously difficult -- or perhaps impossible -- if the existing network consists of Win7 computers.

I have an existing network of three Win7 computers -- which all work perfectly other than the incessant dire warnings from Microsoft that they are all about to turn into pumpkins at the stroke of midnight.

I now have two Win10 computers that need to join the network. These two computers both see the network. These two computers both see the existing computers on the network. The other computers on the network can see that these computers exist on the network.

Using a Win 10 computer I can copy files from shared folders on any of the Win7 computers however large transfers seem to die because Win10 keeps stopping transferring the files if it takes too long -- also it is a major pain to find and drag each file from the Win7 computer simply because the Win10 laptop is a pain in the butt with its weird interface.

It would be much more convenient if I could use the Win7 computer to simply tag and drag the files to the Win10 computer, but the process seems to be entirely one way. Any time I try to access the Win10 laptop from one of the Win7 computers, it wants an ID and password -- but of course there is no such User ID and password.

I have only been using computers every day of my life since CP/M on an 8-bit system that I built from scratch, so obviously I have not yet learned how to use a computer or a network yet. I've used CP/M, DOS, Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, 7 and probably a version or two that I have forgotten, but I have to admit that Windows 10 is just plain weird to me. I am used to Microsoft moving stuff around and changing the names of functions and settings, but I cannot find anything in this nightmare.

Short of installing Windows 7 on both the new laptops, is there any way to get these computers to actually work? The two largest frustrations are that open windows want to magically disappear sometimes to be found hiding on the task bar, sometimes not and the problems with Win10's aforementioned refusal to play nicely with others allowing other computers to pass files to the Win10 computers.

I'm sure that I must be missing something because I cannot believe that anything that works as badly as Win10 seems to could have survived but I cannot find any meaningful instructions for using Win10 beyond the idea that the user is irrelevant and should just let Windows run the show.

:)

N4AOF, Dec 26, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Sync folder between Air and PC locally

I'm looking for a software which will keep folders on my Mac Air and PC synced via the local wireless network.

I usually take my Mac with me everywhere and as such have tons of large downloaded files that I have to manually copy over to the PC. I'm looking for something that'll transfer the files over the local wireless network in my home.

Any suggestions?

aayman_farzand, Dec 26, 2019
  4. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Is there any way to copy files to a Win10 computer over a local network? - Similar Threads - copy files Win10

2. Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy - Is there any way to verify the copied file matches the source?: It doesn't appear there is anyway for Robocopy to verify/confirm the copied file matches the source, is that the case? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy-is-there-any-way-to-verify-the-copied/f577d35f-fa2c-4c8d-ab97-93852d8e1bcb
  3. Files get corrupted while copying over Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files get corrupted while copying over Network: Hi,When I copy Files over my Office network from my laptop to the Office desktop, they frequently get corrupted.Steps to recreate the problem:1. Open a Local Folder on my Laptop in Windows Explorer2. Open a Shared Folder on the Office desktop in Windows Explorer3. Copy a pdf...
  4. Files get corrupted while copying over Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files get corrupted while copying over Network: Hi,When I copy Files over my Office network from my laptop to the Office desktop, they frequently get corrupted.Steps to recreate the problem:1. Open a Local Folder on my Laptop in Windows Explorer2. Open a Shared Folder on the Office desktop in Windows Explorer3. Copy a pdf...
  5. File Sharing Over a local network

File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  6. Any way to connect to Local Area Computers?

Any way to connect to Local Area Computers?: any alternatives to Remote Desktop? 165924
  7. Safest Way to Share Folders & Files oVer Local Network

Safest Way to Share Folders & Files oVer Local Network: I have 4 Win 10 PCs on my local network and want to be able to share folders & files over my local network allow full control to all users on the network, and all of the users are administrators. In looking into it I have several choices. I can choose Everyone,...
  8. Fastest way to transfer files in local network (cabled)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fastest way to transfer files in local network (cabled): If I have two PC connected to the same router , what would be the fastest way to transfer files? SMB, FTP or should I simple use a cable to connect the two PC? submitted by /u/Skodd [link] [comments]...
  9. Any way to copy a full network path on Windows 10?

Any way to copy a full network path on Windows 10?: I have a folder on the network on my locally mapped drive, I need to copy/paste the "full network path" so colleagues on the network can access it But whilst the full network path is displayed in the address bar, what is pasted back is my local mapped drive path which is no...
  10. windows 10 transfer files over local network not working

windows 10 transfer files over local network not working: Hi, I've been using this for some time and most of the time it worked fine. lately when I'm trying to transfer files from one shared folder to another on my local network the files won't get transfered and it stucks on 0% forever. Any idea?...