Windows 10: Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer?

Discus and support Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to disable the "contextual tabs" in file explorer - the ones that turn pink/green/yellow when clicking on an item and changing to things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ThriftyLemon72, May 17, 2019.

1. Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer?

I would like to disable the "contextual tabs" in file explorer - the ones that turn pink/green/yellow when clicking on an item and changing to things like "Picture tools", "Video tools", "Compressed Folder Tools", "Drive Tools", etc. I find these tabs very distracting and I don't much care for the colors - plus, I (personally) have no use for them as I have 3rd party software to handle all of my needs.

In previous versions of Windows 10 I was able to use a 3rd party tool to disable these, but with the latest insider build (1903) the tabs are back and I would really like the option to natively disable them rather than relying on 3rd party applications.

These tabs are especially annoying when using the dark theme file explorer - so much so that on my 3 monitor desktop computer, the pink/yellow tabs draw my attention from my far left monitor to my far right monitor whenever I leave an item selected in File Explorer on a different screen. These tabs are a hindrance to my productivity because I need to take an extra second to deselect whichever item I have selected in file explorer, or to close file explorer altogether in order to get rid of them.

Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer? f9325a95-f29a-49d7-be77-015ea9437c79?upload=true.jpg

:)

ThriftyLemon72, May 17, 2019

2. How to disable tabs in Explorer 10?

I think there is no way to disable it like in older versions. Tabbed browsing is the standard nowadays.

But you can use just 1 tab and open everything in new window if you like it better.

Blue-Knight, May 17, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    why won't column headings in File Explorer (Windows 10) stay the way I set them??

Hello,

To resolve the issue with column heading on File Explorer, we suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click on the View Tab.
    • Click Folder Options.

• Click Apply to all folders.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, May 17, 2019
  4. Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer?

How to Disable Preview Pane in File Explorer

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View Tab.
    • Click on Preview Pane to view\hide it.

Refer:

How to work with files and folders

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Sahil Bali, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer?

1. Is there any way to disable the "contextual tabs" in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - disable contextual tabs

2. Any way to disable the "grouping" option in file explorer permanently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to disable the "grouping" option in file explorer permanently?: I really dislike that it automatically activated the grouping by date after this last update, in everything, and it is kind of annoying to have to right clikc and select the "group by none" every single time, I move something from one folder to another and next time I open...
  3. Any way to disable the "grouping" option in file explorer permanently?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any way to disable the "grouping" option in file explorer permanently?: I really dislike that it automatically activated the grouping by date after this last update, in everything, and it is kind of annoying to have to right clikc and select the "group by none" every single time, I move something from one folder to another and next time I open...
  4. How to disable tabs in File Explorer on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable tabs in File Explorer on Windows 11?: [ATTACH]Today, we will be discussing how you can disable tabs from File Explorer on Windows 11. Windows 11 2022 is a small overhaul and brought to Windows PCs a new File Explorer. The new File Explorer allows you to view folders and drive locations as Tabs, the same way we...
  5. No Tab on File Explorer

No Tab on File Explorer: I still have no tab on my File Explorer, I tried Vivetool yet, didn't work. I appreciate anyone who can help.OS Version: 2H22OS Build: 22621.674 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-tab-on-file-explorer/0f6d7e30-6bd3-4b59-bce0-93d8f38debbc
  6. Any way to enable tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to enable tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?: any methods related to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-enable-tabs-in-file-explorer-in-windows/050ebff5-2f97-4a2b-96e0-929a2d92432f
  7. Any way to enable tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?

Any way to enable tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?: any methods related to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-enable-tabs-in-file-explorer-in-windows/050ebff5-2f97-4a2b-96e0-929a2d92432f
  8. Any way to enble tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?

Any way to enble tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?: any methods related to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-enble-tabs-in-file-explorer-in-windows/050ebff5-2f97-4a2b-96e0-929a2d92432f
  9. Any way to enble tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to enble tabs in file explorer in windows 11 insider build 25120?: any methods related to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-enble-tabs-in-file-explorer-in-windows/050ebff5-2f97-4a2b-96e0-929a2d92432f
  10. Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable / Hide Quick Access in File explorer: Hi folks I find the quick access displays in File explorer mega annoying -- any way to hide it or better disable it altogether. Cheers jimbo 108605

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove File Explorers Contextual tabs

2. windows 10 explorer how to stop the colored tabs

3. how to change contextual tabs in file explorer in windows 10

4. Drive Tools contextual tab in windows explorer