Windows 10: Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?

Discus and support Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 3TB hard disk that was my archive drive for all the video and audio media files on my Media-Centre PC which is a Win7 OS When I installed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Technoweary, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?

I have a 3TB hard disk that was my archive drive for all the video and audio media files on my Media-Centre PC which is a Win7 OS

When I installed it as an internal drive on my current machine it is connected in the BIOS but Win10 OS it does not show in File Explorer, Disk Management or Device Manager?

On my Win10 OS I confirmed that auto-mount is enabled, and to double check I installed it back into the Win7 OS, and it is OK. Also double checked via a USB dock with no problems

Stumped now so I am wondering if anyone out there may know any way to get Win10 to see a Win7 drive?

Any suggestions most appreciated

Best wishes for 2021 to all. Regards TW

:)

Technoweary, Jan 1, 2021
  2. Tim B285 Win User

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10

Hello. I am a victim of an apparently rare bug.

I wanted to try out Win10 as a partition for a dual boot option (Since some games run better on Win10 than Win7).

I heard rumors of Win10 being incredibly agressive but I had no idea how much. Win10 tried to eat and destroy my Win7 partition by messing with, I'm not sure, system files ? Apparently everyone on the web are saying that it's impossible to have a dual boot
    of Win7 and Win10 because Win10.

Then I realized that out of 2 SSDs and 3 hard drive, 1SSD and 2 hard drive could not be accessed anymore. No matter what. I tried to boot with win10, I tried to boot with Win7, it didn't work.

I bought an USB > SATA adapter to try and see if it would work that way, it doesn't.

This is what Disk Management shows me for one of my hard drive when linked through the USB > SATA adapter.

Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7? 09764e9b-d836-4d9e-ac83-d2d98386a7fe?upload=true.png

At first I thought it could have been a virus, one of those locking trojan that makes you pay to unlock your hard drive, but it really doesn't look like it. No prompt, no infection, Malware Bytes, Rogue Killer, Avast... No information whatsoever.

What is going on ?

I have several friends that have had troubles with Win10 and had to go back to Win7 because of a lot of problem with programs, drivers for hardware, but I never heard of problems for hard drives.

I have now deleted the Win10 partition but am left with 3 crippled drives.

Can someone please help me ?

Thank you.

Schneider47, Jan 1, 2021
  4. tonistein Win User

Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?

Sharing drives with Win7 & Win10

I uncheck the Fast Startup. Then I shutdown the system & connect an empty hard disk & start up again. Then I format the disk & transferred a few Gb of data to the new hard disk & shut down. After that I swap over to Win7 & startup. Now I can access everything
    in the hard disk. Then I transferred 50Gb of pictures & videos to this disk & shutdown. I switch over to Win10 & I could only see the previous data created in Win10 but not the 50Gb of pictures & video from Win7. Back to square one.

In Win7 the new hard disk register at 20% usage but in Win10 it's only 2%

There's something different between Win10 & the rest of the older OS

Then I did a restart & this time there's a boot scanning of the new hard disk. After that I can access all the new data from Win7 & can play all the videos too. I shutdown & switch to Win7 & there's a boot scanning again. Now able to access everything. Why
    do the hard disk need to scan at bootup in order to be accessed?

If I share my 2pcs of 2TB hard disks with Win10 a lot of time will be spent on boot scanning. Is there any way to go around this? Until then Win7 is still my primary working system

tonistein, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?

1. Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7? - Similar Threads - Win10 hard drive

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  3. Any Way to Download Win7 Antivirus for Win10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Any Way to Download Win7 Antivirus for Win10?: I know it's outdated and crappy, i don't care. With that out of the way, any site that hosts Windows 7's pre installed antivirus that I could install for Windows 10? Thanks. 173199
  4. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  5. Any way to get Windows 10 passwords from the hard drive on a dead PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to get Windows 10 passwords from the hard drive on a dead PC?: Hi there, I'd like to know if there's a way to retrieve different kind of passwords from a Windows 10 system drive (such as on PC with a dead motherboard), so I can install Windows and back up and restore the passwords on the new drive. I'm thinking of passwords for all...
  6. Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key: Trying to reload Windows 10 Pro on machine with new hard drive but same MOBO. Win10 originally loaded via free upgrade from valid Win7 product key. Using MediaCreationTool1909.exe to download/load reload but I get an 'invalid' response after entering original Win7...
  7. Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10

Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10: Hello. I am a victim of an apparently rare bug. I wanted to try out Win10 as a partition for a dual boot option (Since some games run better on Win10 than Win7). I heard rumors of Win10 being incredibly agressive but I had no idea how much. Win10 tried to eat and destroy...
  8. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...
  9. Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10: I have Win10 and a 2 Terabyte external drive. I want to hang small old drives off the machine and copy their contents (200G, 100G, stuff like that) to that 2 Tera drive so's I can then wipe them and perhaps use them for other purposes. Windows copy seems uncertain. I...
  10. win10 cannot see a hard drive added in.

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 cannot see a hard drive added in.: had a hard drive problem so took it out of that machine and added it into mine so's i could run seatools on it. but it doesn't appear in the list. how can i get win10 to see it? i had a thing like this once before but i've forgotten the procedure... 81421