Windows 10: Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN?

Discus and support Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new laptop for myself and need to make some decisions regarding how to log in to the laptop. There are clearly a lot of upsides to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/win_linx, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN?

I'm setting up a new laptop for myself and need to make some decisions regarding how to log in to the laptop. There are clearly a lot of upsides to PINs. Recently I read online that

A password is transmitted to the server -- it can be intercepted in transmission or stolen from a server. A PIN is local to the device -- it isn't transmitted anywhere and it isn't stored on the server. When the PIN is created, it establishes a trusted relationship with the identity provider and creates an asymmetric key pair that is used for authentication. When you enter your PIN, it unlocks the authentication key and uses the key to sign the request that is sent to the authenticating server.

I also read that

One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up. That PIN is useless to anyone without that specific hardware. Someone who steals your password can sign in to your account from anywhere, but if they steal your PIN, they'd have to steal your physical device too! Even you can't use that PIN anywhere except on that specific device. If you want to sign in on multiple devices, you have to set up Hello on each device.

Which doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for me, since I'm trying to decide between signing in with a local account password instead of a PIN, not my Microsoft account password instead of a PIN.

I've always used a local account to sign in instead of my Microsoft account, and I think I'm going to keep it that way. I really, really don't want to sign in with a Microsoft account for other reasons (I'm not signed in to anything except OneDrive on my current machine). I wish PINs were an option with local accounts, but it doesn't seem like they are. That being said, is there any way to make local account passwords more secure? Like preventing them from being intercepted in transmission or stolen from the server where they're stored in (I assume) plaintext, as described in the blurb above?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys have to give.

submitted by /u/win_linx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/win_linx, Aug 24, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Aug 24, 2020
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Aug 24, 2020
  4. Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN?

Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN?

1. Is there any way to make a local account password as secure as a PIN? - Similar Threads - local account password

2. Password VS PIN for a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password VS PIN for a local account: Hi everyone,On my PC, I have recently switched my Windows account to a local account for security reason. Then I created also a local account password, of course, so now I can access on my Windows system by both my local account password OR my old Windows PIN.Having two...
  3. Password VS PIN for a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password VS PIN for a local account: Hi everyone,On my PC, I have recently switched my Windows account to a local account for security reason. Then I created also a local account password, of course, so now I can access on my Windows system by both my local account password OR my old Windows PIN.Having two...
  4. I forgot my local account password and it's security questions. Any help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot my local account password and it's security questions. Any help?: I recently asked for a solution to changing my local account password, but every question is the same. I can access this PC with my PIN, but my local password and my security questions are lost in my brain. I am considering using a bootable USB to reset it, but I want to see...
  5. I forgot my local account password and it's security questions. Any help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I forgot my local account password and it's security questions. Any help?: I recently asked for a solution to changing my local account password, but every question is the same. I can access this PC with my PIN, but my local password and my security questions are lost in my brain. I am considering using a bootable USB to reset it, but I want to see...
  6. Password problem(is there any way for there to be no password)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Password problem(is there any way for there to be no password)?: Or at least to be able to put something simple as 0000 because i have a simple computer and i don't care honestly that someone is gonna in my computer =)Heard that People don't wanna move from windows 7.Well,maybe this is one of the reasons?How can i remove the pin without...
  7. Is there a way to make an account an admin account without having access to the password of...

Is there a way to make an account an admin account without having access to the password of...: I am unable to login to my local admin account due to a password change gone wrong and have been operating from a secondary account since then, however, not being able to install new programs is starting to be a hindrance and I would like to know if there’s a way I can make...
  8. local account pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    local account pin: I've forgotten the pin/password for my local account, how do I recover it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-account-pin/194f8588-4c2e-4862-ba43-444e3b45b199
  9. Forgot password to admin account, is there any way to reset it?

Forgot password to admin account, is there any way to reset it?: So I haven't used my laptop in a while and have 2 accounts on it - one as administrator and the other is a general account. I forgot the password to the admin account and I'm not able to download any apps (from the general account) or anything without the admin's permission....
  10. Unable to remove PIN on LOCAL ACCOUNT - Incorrect password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to remove PIN on LOCAL ACCOUNT - Incorrect password: Hi, For privacy reason, when I travel with my PC, I set a PIN password using a LOCAL ACCOUNT password and remove it when I am home for convenience purposes. Since I have come back from my last trip, I can start my PC using my local account PIN password but I can't no more...