Windows 10: Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards?

Discus and support Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there any patch about this? I've tried Acrylic DNS Service is up and running but strange it doesnt work (yes ive changed my static DNS to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GoldenApple_, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards?

Is there any patch about this?

I've tried Acrylic DNS

Service is up and running but strange it doesnt work

(yes ive changed my static DNS to 127.0.0.1 and ::1 on IPv4 and IPv6)
    So probably AcrylicDNS is not an option for me

is there any other way to solve this?

Custom program / repos that modify hosts file to support wildcards?

Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, Version 1809

:)

GoldenApple_, Jan 11, 2019

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Why use an ADBANNER BLOCKING HOSTS file? Here is why:

APK.

A BIG THANK YOU for sharing your hosts file. I can see there is a lot of work gone into it.

Q. Is there not a wildcard feature for hosts?(Or banning IP addresses?) Since there are a lot of ad47.*.com type addresses in your list.

Q. Your file is a manual build... so will get out of date quickly... and requires a lot of intervention to keep it up to date. Have you any success with free or "cheap" commerical software? (I use http://www.admuncher.com/ which works very very well IMO)

Q. Dear Mr. C++ guru. How about a TPU exclusive utilitity? A small blocker, hosted on TPU incl. a monthly ban list updated by you? If popular... I'm sure we would all contribute a bit via paypal. Could be the start of something bigger.

Completely Bonkers, Jan 11, 2019
  4. OldW7Guy Win User

Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards?

File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

The indexing trouble shooter did not find any problem.
    System File Check result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 found No component store corruption detected.

I do not believe that my system has any problem as the wildcard partial numeric name search issue occurs on all Windows 10 systems of family and friends.
    I believe the priority of this issue should be raised because the Search Results vary depending on the number of files involved creating confusion and incorrect results. With less than 40 files the wildcard partial numeric name search returns the correct
    results. With more than 50 files the wildcard search becomes a whole number search only listing files that have the exact number. With *2345 in the search box and more than 50 files in focus, Search will Not list 123456.txt but will only list 2345.txt.
    With less than 40 files in focus All files with any numeric string containing 2345 will be listed.

OldW7Guy, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards?

1. Is there any way to make hosts file to support wildcards? - Similar Threads - hosts file support

2. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  3. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  4. Kubernetes - any way of making it work on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kubernetes - any way of making it work on Windows: Hi there I'm looking at Kubernetes as an ongoing increasingly used Cloud service. It can be tested individually on a Local machine via a few basic tutorials Getting started | Kubernetes Anybody got any experience with this -- Does it really do what it says on the Tin and is...
  5. File explorer - any way to make more readable

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer - any way to make more readable: Hi folks Is there any way to make file explorer more readable with better fonts etc -- just compare Windows XP and current W10 virtual machines -- IMO the XP one is a zillion times more readable etc. [img] Cheers jimbo 173857
  6. Any Way to Make WB Compatible with OS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any Way to Make WB Compatible with OS?: WB = WindowsBlinds, OS = Open Shell (I'm asking this mainly because my taskbar texture is a little bit messed up since I had previously used Open Shell to change my taskbar texture look but after I got WB, some of the things look really off about it.) 173567
  7. Any way to make a batch script to rename the most recent file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to make a batch script to rename the most recent file?: found scripts to locate a the most recent file, and scripts to rename files, but no combination. basically id need a script to rename, the most recent .pdf file added to "W:\Declarations", to 'decs365.pdf' any help is greatly appreciated 170467
  8. Any way to make 'face' the default here?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to make 'face' the default here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/1Michael23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8pn8r/any_way_to_make_face_the_default_here/
  9. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  10. Any way to make/add custom tiles?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to make/add custom tiles?: Is there anyway to make tiles for Win10? Pinning apps to the start menu looks horrible.. 10525

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hosts file wildcard