Windows 10: Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?

Discus and support Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Currently our developers are using Docker with Hyper-V and they have a folder with the code where its shared to hyper-v, so they can navigate to that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DankerOfMemes, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?

Currently our developers are using Docker with Hyper-V and they have a folder with the code where its shared to hyper-v, so they can navigate to that folder and do whatever they want with explorer but on WSL2 the only way to interact to that folder is to either rely on VSCode console/file explorer or going in through bash. Is there any way to permanently mount the WSL2 folder that holds the code for docker?

By mounting i mean Drive Z: in "My Computer" goes to /home/[folder] in WSL2.

submitted by /u/DankerOfMemes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DankerOfMemes, Dec 27, 2020

2. WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows? [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

mesajflaviu, Dec 27, 2020
  3. _Egoist Win User
    Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2

One of the features that was released on the 2019 and May 2020 updates was having easy access to WSL system folders from the file explorer.

After having a fresh install, the "Linux" folder on the navigation panel is no longer available for me (even though it was listed on the features of the new update). Of course it's possible to create a shortcut to the location of the WSL folder, but having
    an organized Linux folder for the different subsystems pinned is more ideal.

Is there any possible way to enable that feature again? I have tried adding the registry key, but it seems like WSL2 have a different value.

_Egoist, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?

How to mount Drive and Folder in Windows 10.

Hi Thom,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. We recommend you to refer
    Assign a mount point folder path to a drive
    for mounting a drive in Windows 10 and please follow the steps mentioned below to mount folder as virtual drive in Windows 10.

1. Search for cmd in search bar.

2. Right click on Command Prompt in the list and choose
    Run as administrator

3. In the text box behind Browser, type the following command
    subst X: "Location of your folder" (Replace X with the drive letter you would like to name as, and
    "Location of your folder" with the location of the folder you wish to mount as drive with the double codes. For example
    subst G: "D:\<Username>\My videos").

4. Restart the computer and you will see a new drive next to all your other physical drive.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?

1. Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows? - Similar Threads - mount WSL2 folder

2. Is there a way to configure VBS in Windows 11 through wsl2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to configure VBS in Windows 11 through wsl2?: I'm looking for a way to configure virtualization-based security on windows 11. I'm running a laptop with 16 GB of memory, and I see through msinfo32 that I only have 6.59 GB of physical memory available, and I suspect that VBS is the culprit since it is running, and I know...
  3. Is there a way to configure VBS in Windows 11 through wsl2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to configure VBS in Windows 11 through wsl2?: I'm looking for a way to configure virtualization-based security on windows 11. I'm running a laptop with 16 GB of memory, and I see through msinfo32 that I only have 6.59 GB of physical memory available, and I suspect that VBS is the culprit since it is running, and I know...
  4. Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/hu-hu/windows/wsl/wsl2-mount-disk tells me that I can figure out the device names for my WSL2-based Linux filesystems by > wmic diskdrive list brief but this showed me only my physical disks. How can I get the name for my Linux rootfs to...
  5. Is there a way to activate WSL2 on 2019

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to activate WSL2 on 2019: I'm trying to enable Wsl2 on my Home Server to load my containers onto instead of relying on Hyper-V containers. Is there a workaround to upgrading to Wsl2 on the following build without resorting to re-imaging to a Windows Insider Preview channel. Microsoft Windows Server...
  6. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  7. Is there any way to rename a user folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to rename a user folder?: I got a new laptop recently and was wondering if there was any not-super-complex way I could rename my user folder to my full name instead of the first 5 letters of my name without losing data. The old laptop I used (also windows 10) had a User folder with my full name so I'm...
  8. Any way to rename the "File folder" type?

Any way to rename the "File folder" type?: I want to organize files by type but have shortcuts and folders on top. I was able to rename the Shortcut file type to .shortcut with the help of the Types app, which puts it on top, but I'm unable to rename the "File folder" type. Any way to change this type too? Or any...
  9. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10: How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive to have the drive appear as a normal folder located where you want. With you mount an internal or external drive to an...
  10. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...