Windows 10: Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

Discus and support Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am using MS Paint not Paint3D on Windows 10 and as I was done drawing an image I mindlessly cropped one third of the art and edited it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kye11, May 24, 2023.

1. kye11 Win User

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

Hello, I am using MS Paint not Paint3D on Windows 10 and as I was done drawing an image I mindlessly cropped one third of the art and edited it, and accidentally went overboard in the details and went over the undo limit. I have not saved the image yet, nor have I closed the application or turned off my computer, so the memory should still be there somewhere. I'm wondering if there's a way for me to go past the undo limit, go in previous versions of the project, or find a previous version in a file somewhere. I have tried increasing the undo limit in the Registry Editor program in Windows/Cu

:)

kye11, May 24, 2023
  2. Ghot Win User

Undo in MS Paint

@ArthurDent

Please... do yourself a favor. Try.... Paint Shop Pro.
    Version 4.12 is the easiest, and most like MS Paint. Only difference is that it can do way more.

The learning curve is fast and intuitive. And it has a huge (infinite?)... Undo. *Smile

Paint Shop Pro 4.12 and 7.04 and 8.1 and 9.01

This pic is from PSP 7.04, but it's the same as 4.12 if I recall.
    The top dot UNdoes the last thing you did.
    The bottom dot, list ALL the things you did in a list. You can just click on any item on the list and UNdo that item and everything above that item...

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373190d1660481454t-undo-ms-paint-image2.png

For example... here are the things I did to this picture. The... "Command History"
    They are numbered as well. #1 being the "first" thing I did.

What ever number I highlight, it will UNdo that number and every thing above that number.

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373191d1660481935t-undo-ms-paint-image3.png

In one afternoon, you would be able to do everything MS Paint can do, and a whole lot more.
    Just take a screen shot, open Paint Shop Pro, choose: Edit > Paste
    Then start playing around with the options. I HATE overly complex programs.

Paint Shop Pro, CAN do everything, but you really only have to "learn" the things you want to do.
    You won't get "sucked down a rabbit hole" if all you want to do is say... crop an image.

You just use the Select tool and drag a box around what you want to keep, then click: Image > Crop to selection.

Paint Shop Pro is sort of like a carpenter's tool box. All the tools are separate.
    You don't need to learn how to use a plane, just to hammer a nail.

This took about 10 minutes to make with PSP 7.04...

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373196d1660482739t-undo-ms-paint-deep-thought.jpg

Six minutes... and it's on a transparent background. So the background will be whatever color it is... where I post it.

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373197d1660483313t-undo-ms-paint-image8.png

Again... this is PSP 7.04
    But 4.12 can do all of this, just as easily.

All I really had to do, was "select" each frame in the original pic. "Copy" the selection, and "paste" it into the...
    transparent background pic. ONLY using the mouse. *Smile

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373201d1660483537t-undo-ms-paint-image9.png

3. Undo in MS Paint

Hello folks!

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

When editing in MS Paint I often have the requirement to 'undo' the last few steps.

Currently, Paint only seems to undo the last four - I'd like it to do more, say 10 or 15.

I'm assuming this can be done as a Registry hack as there isn't a 'Tools' or 'Settings' menu in Paint that allows you to change the number of 'back-steps'.

For example, I believe Excel keeps the last 16 changes in RAM, which can be changed in the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Ver.\Excel\Options
    (where Ver. is the version number of Excel - for example 12.0 for Excel 2003).

Create a new DWORD value, select New Value #1, type 'UndoHistory' press Enter.

On the Edit menu, click 'Modify'.

In the DWORD value dialog, click 'Decimal' under base, then a value between 1 and 100, then OK.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-modify-the-number-of-undo-levels-in-excel

I'm guessing you can do a similar thing in Paint?

There doesn't seem to be a similar key for Paint in KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft, nor, indeed, is there a registry key for 'UndoHistory' at all.

Thanks in advance,

Art

ArthurDent, May 24, 2023
  4. Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

Undo in MS Paint

Thanks Denis. Will give it a go.

There is the issue that I prefer the original Paint and not the 'N&I' version of course which may complicate matters!

Regarding the Excel versions - this was from the M$oft website (link in the original post)!

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373193d1660482145t-undo-ms-paint-excel-version-numbers.jpg

Art

UPDATE:

After Denis' post (below) I had another look at the M$oft website reffered to above.

It seems that a copywriter has put the carriage returns in the wrong place, and the list should look like this!

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? 373198d1660483331t-undo-ms-paint-excel-version-numbers-amended-.jpg

That's what happens when you check your own copy. Always get someone else to double-check!

Art

ArthurDent, May 24, 2023
Thema:

Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

1. Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint? - Similar Threads - recover undo history

2. Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?: Hello, I am using MS Paint not Paint3D on Windows 10 and as I was done drawing an image I mindlessly cropped one third of the art and edited it, and accidentally went overboard in the details and went over the undo limit. I have not saved the image yet, nor have I closed the...
  3. Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to recover an undo history in Microsoft Paint?: Hello, I am using MS Paint not Paint3D on Windows 10 and as I was done drawing an image I mindlessly cropped one third of the art and edited it, and accidentally went overboard in the details and went over the undo limit. I have not saved the image yet, nor have I closed the...
  4. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  5. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  6. Paint 3D crashed after saving, is there any way to recover the file?

Paint 3D crashed after saving, is there any way to recover the file?: As the title says I was halfway through creating a request on Paint 3D for someone, I went to save it and it immediately crashed. There was a recovery file when I reopened it but it said an error had occurred or something when I opened it....
  7. Paint 3D crashed after saving, is there any way to recover the file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Paint 3D crashed after saving, is there any way to recover the file?: As the title says I was halfway through creating a request on Paint 3D for someone, I went to save it and it immediately crashed. There was a recovery file when I reopened it but it said an error had occurred or something when I opened it....
  8. Paint 3D crashed after saving, is there any way to recover the file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Any way to recover my documents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to recover my documents?: I did something stupid and now I hope there's a chance to undo it. I had 5 Microsoft Word documents on my computer called "Tasks" "Tasks 1" etc. that were running to-do lists of things for my job. I recently copied and pasted all the remaining task/to-do list items into...
  10. Any way to review Notifications History?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to review Notifications History?: Not for the first time in W10 I noticed a notification slide off the screen before I had a chance to read it.. I need to access those notifications, after all, I'm in charge of the West's nuclear arsenal and could have missed something damned important! Anyone help...