Windows 10: Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?

Discus and support Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I strive for a clean desktop setup, but that annoying dotted icon border messes me up. Is there any way to get rid of it permanently? I've looked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cryborg2000, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?

I strive for a clean desktop setup, but that annoying dotted icon border messes me up. Is there any way to get rid of it permanently? I've looked online and all the "solutions" are just one-time quick fixes. I know the outline is there for keyboard control, but I never use my keyboard to navigate my desktop, so to me it is just an aesthetic bug.

submitted by /u/cryborg2000
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cryborg2000, Jul 30, 2020
  2. RichardC Win User

Dotted Border Around Desktop Icon

Every now and then I notice a dotted box around an icon on my desktop. When I reboot it goes away. It's not all that important, but my curiosity gets the better of me. Does anyone know what causes this and can it be prevented from happening again?
    Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently? [​IMG]

RichardC, Jul 31, 2020
  3. coz321 Win User

Hello,
    Very interesting thoughts and fantasies about this "BUG"
    I am running windows 10 most current version as of December 23, 2017, on this laptop, the first release of windows ten on a production computer,offline, Windows 10 on another system version 1609 I believe, and version, 1709 on a fourth system. Only this laptop gets updates. None of the fixes work because the icon is NOT focused and you could hit enter all day long and the only thing that will happen is a worn enter key. The "tab solution works momentarily, as soon as the cursor touches the desktop again, the icon is again, boxed.
    This dotted border only shows up on the laptop and only after the current updates.
    There are only 2 explanations; either windows 10 has a irritating bug, or there are hardware issues on a laptop, with touch screen, at least in my experience. It has NOT occurred on any of the other 3 systems. It is also NOT normal for windows to behave this way, as suggested, and it is NOT a focus issue. in terms of how it was explained by others here.
    It is a dotted box around an "unfocused" icon. I have not found a solution as of yet, however if I do I will certainly share it, without trying to bloat my knowledge.

coz321, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Tony K Win User

Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?

Hello, coz321. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Thanks for your insight, but I'm baffled as to why you would go to lengths to join just for two posts thus far. "At least in my experience" pretty much says it all.

Tony K, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently?

1. Is there any way to remove the dotted border around desktop icons permanently? - Similar Threads - remove dotted border

2. Dotted lines around desktop icons Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dotted lines around desktop icons Windows 11: Every time I click on a desktop icon it gets a dotted white line and when I click on the taskbar or refresh my desktop the icons disappear but when I click somewhere else the border reappears. I like my desktop clean and this annoying me. Is there some way to permanently...
  3. Dotted lines around desktop icons Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dotted lines around desktop icons Windows 11: Every time I click on a desktop icon it gets a dotted white line and when I click on the taskbar or refresh my desktop the icons disappear but when I click somewhere else the border reappears. I like my desktop clean and this annoying me. Is there some way to permanently...
  4. White Border Around Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    White Border Around Desktop Icon: Whenever I resize my desktop Icons a white border appears around it. Whenever I refresh , it disappears, but when I singe click an icon it reappears again. I need to restart Windows Explorer to get rid of it but in doing so, my system tray icons disappear and will appear...
  5. Extra Lines and Dots Around Window Borders

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra Lines and Dots Around Window Borders: My Windows Version is 1909 (OS Build 18363.752). I recently noticed some strange lines and dots around some windows as shown in the attached. It only appeared on some windows (file explorer, Chrome), but not on others (Microsoft Word, Excel). It only happened on the second...
  6. Border around Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Border around Desktop: Hello all! I recently bought a GDP P2 Max mini laptop and am pretty surprised at how performant it is. My only problem however is that the Desktop has a border around the edges. It's dark grey and had a tiny rectangle in the upper right corner of the screen. Does anyone...
  7. Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"?: Any way to *permanently* remove "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps"? I uninstall it, and every few days, she's back. submitted by /u/telrod11 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3q9nr/any_way_to_permanently_remove_microsoft_office/
  8. How to remove borders around tray icons in a Windows theme?

How to remove borders around tray icons in a Windows theme?: Specifically, this is what I'm talking about: [ATTACH] There are boxes/borders around tray icons (and the start button, too). It's the only thing that I don't like with this High Contrast #2 theme, but I find it midly irrtating. Thank you....
  9. Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?

Any Way To Make Permanent Folder Icons on Desktop?: I'm hoping you guys have some cool freeway apps or tricks around to help me out. I'm looking for a way to put specific shortcuts on the desktop, mainly to folders, but make them permanent, so I can't move them or delete them. I still want to be able to select, move and...
  10. Dotted Border Around Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Dotted Border Around Desktop Icon: Every now and then I notice a dotted box around an icon on my desktop. When I reboot it goes away. It's not all that important, but my curiosity gets the better of me. Does anyone know what causes this and can it be prevented from happening again? [img] 99371