Windows 10: Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

Discus and support Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have successfully used file history on my Windows 10 pc for a long time. Lately, the pc says that it does not recognize the drive. I understand that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rikke T., Oct 11, 2018.

1. Rikke T. Win User

Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

I have successfully used file history on my Windows 10 pc for a long time. Lately, the pc says that it does not recognize the drive.

I understand that I can switch file history off and then on again, but that creates a new copy of my entire backup, which is not very practical as the size is too large. Thus, I do not wish to do that.

If I try to choose the drive again, the pc still tells me, it does not recognize it.

Is there any way of getting my drive recognized again? That is, without creating a new backup.

The external drive is not permanently attached to the pc.

:)

Rikke T., Oct 11, 2018
  2. PTF1 Win User

File History does not recognise external hard drive in Windows 10

I have attached an external hard drive and it has backed up my files I cannot access File History as It cannot detect the external hard drive.

I'm using Windows 10

3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

Reusing an external drive

Hello,

To use your external hard drive for your Windows 10 PC again, you need to format your device to a file format your Windows 10 PC will recognize. Refer to the steps below to format your hard drive:

To format an existing partition (volume):

• Open Disk Management by pressing the Windows key + X key and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then select Format.
    • To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, select OK, and then select OK again.

Disclaimer: Formatting the hard drive will remove or erase all the data in that drive.

Hope it helps!

Jennifer Bri, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

1. Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - reuse external hard

2. Is there any way to install windows on an external hard drive through a Android phone. not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to install windows on an external hard drive through a Android phone. not...: My PC's hdd just got dead and i have a external useless hdd liying around. i want to install windows through my phone to that hdd.not making it to a useless boot drive. I want to install actual windows into that hdd.so later when i will fix it.this would be an portable...
  3. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  4. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  5. File History can't see external hard drive

File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  6. File History not detecting my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History not detecting my external hard drive: I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the drives to back it up to, it only shows my HDD. submitted by /u/throaway9001 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive: My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions. How do I copy the file history files from this older 1TB external hard drive to a new 6TB external hard drive? I'd then like to use the new...
  8. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  9. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  10. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d