Windows 10: Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?

Discus and support Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my issue is that some of my apps (e.g. Audacity) looks blurry on my 14-inch laptop. I tried a few tutorials of changing the DPI but that just makes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FP_96, Feb 17, 2020.

1. /u/FP_96 Win User

Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?

So my issue is that some of my apps (e.g. Audacity) looks blurry on my 14-inch laptop. I tried a few tutorials of changing the DPI but that just makes everything look smaller. Does anyone have the solution to fix this blurry issue without making everything look small? Especially on a 14-inch laptop

submitted by /u/FP_96
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FP_96, Feb 17, 2020

2. My computer resets the scaling EVERY time I turn my computer on. BLURRY PICTURES/OFF RESOLUTION/DPI SCALING ISSUE

Hi Rudy,

An outdated or incompatible driver can be one of the possible causes why you're experiencing blurry pictures, off resolution or DPI scaling. To resolve this issue, we suggest that you follow the methods below:

Method 1: Check for software updates

Improvements are continuously being added to Windows 10 and Office 2016 applications. If you are experiencing a specific issue, first check whether it has been resolved in the latest Windows release or cumulative update. To check Windows 10 updates,
    see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: See Windows 10 Update History

Method 2: Check for known issues

See the following articles for more information about known issues in these specific products.

Office 2016

Office apps appear the wrong size or blurry
    on external monitors

Note: Office 2016 applications started being released starting in September 2016. Additional updates are scheduled to follow.

Internet Explorer

3165808 Internet Explorer 11 Window display changes between built-in device monitor and an external monitor.

Additionally, to work around scaling issues, you ,may also try the following steps:

Step 1: Log out and in

Log out and log back in to the system. This improves how applications and elements are displayed when the monitor configuration changes.

Step 2: Adjust display settings

Select Display > Change the size of text, apps, and other items, and then adjust the slider for each monitor.

Step 3: Change application properties

In Explorer or on the Start menu, right-click the application name, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and then select the Disable
    display scaling on high DPI settings
    check box.

Step 4: Check whether applications are DPI-aware

To determine an application's support of DPI Scaling, follow these steps:

• Download and run Sysinternals Process Explorer.
    • In Process Explorer, click the columns, and then add the DPI Awareness column to the view.
    • Start the application that you want to check.
    • In Process Explorer, locate the application, and then examine the DPI Awareness column.
    DPI Awareness status definitions

Per-Monitor Aware: Per-monitor DPI-aware. These applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.

System Aware: System DPI-aware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They query for the DPI one time, and then use that value for the lifetime of the application. If the DPI changes, the application does not adjust
    to the new DPI value. It will be automatically scaled up or down by the system when the DPI changes from the system value.

Unaware: DPI-unaware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings.

For more information, see the following MSDN topic: PROCESS_DPI_AWARENESS enumeration

For more information about how Windows scales applications, see the following Core Team Blog articles: Display Scaling
    in Windows 10

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Apps still blurry after DPI change on Fall Creators Update

So I've updated my Surface Pro 4 to Fall Creators and the much touted fix for high DPI screen doesn't seem to be there.

When I change screen from high dpi to low dpi or back, there's no longer red warning in display settings that you need to sign out to fix some applications. When I restart legacy apps they come back as blurry as ever though. There's no improvement. If anything
    the scaling seems even worse than it worse (more blurry).

Is anyone else seeing this too?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / General

Marcin Wiśnicki, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Apps that are out of focus appear blurry

Hello,

This is a known issue for old applications that doesn't support the new DPI scaling changes on Windows 10. You can define these applications as a DPI-unaware process by following the steps below:

1. Launch the application that you are having issues with scaling.
    2. Right-click the application in the task bar.
    3. Right-click the name of the application and then select Properties.
    4. Click the Compatibility tab.
    5. Under Settings, check the Override high DPI scaling behavior
      option.
    6. Under Scaling performed by drop-down menu, select System (Enhanced).
    7. Click Apply.
    8. Click Ok.

Afer performing these steps, Windows 10 will handle the scaling behaviour and will fix issues with the interface and text being blurry for that application.

Let me know how it goes.

Ferdz Amp, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling? - Similar Threads - anyway fixing blurry

2. DPI scaling fixed and cannot be altered

in Windows 10 Customization
    DPI scaling fixed and cannot be altered: Hi I am getting this when I try to change the DPI, I am curious cause originally it wasn't like this ( the scale and layout is fixed and cant be changed) but it happened after I played a game at fullscreen, namely epic battle fantasy 5. Could this be caused by a virus and can...
  3. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  4. High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High DPI scaling issue - even "properties" occurs blurry: I recently purchased a laptop running windows 10. It has the latest updates, and both scaling and resolution are set to windows recommended (150% and 1920x1080), but still even windows' inherent popups are blurry (images are attached). Please guide me as to how to fix this...
  5. disable DPI scaling by default for all apps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disable DPI scaling by default for all apps: I have Windows 10 DPI set to 150% and many apps are blurry. As you know, this is fixed by disabling DPI scaling per app, but I would like to do that for all apps by default. I am already using the "XPE Windows 10 DPI Fix", but this does not fix it for me. I have researched it...
  6. Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry - How to fix it ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry - How to fix it ?: Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry as well as the control panel - How to fix it ? I have tried also the new option from advance scaling settings, the "Let Windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry" but i get the same thing. I have looked all over the...
  7. Blurry 2nd Monitor when using different DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Blurry 2nd Monitor when using different DPI scaling: My main monitor is 2560x1440 and my 2nd monitor is 1920x1080. When I set both to 100% or 125% scaling they both look fine. If I set my main monitor to 125% and my 2nd monitor to 100% the 2nd monitor is blurry. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to fix it?...
  8. How can i change Font Size without changing DPI Scaling Settings?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How can i change Font Size without changing DPI Scaling Settings?: My screen has 3 options in the DPI settings, 100,125 and 150% and the recommended one is 125% but the taskbar is huge with huge icons too and i don't like that plus there is an issue with blurred text in some windows like Device manager etc. So i don't really know why 125%...
  9. Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 Starting with sign in to Windows to have these apps render properly. You can now instead turn on the Fix scaling for apps...
  10. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...