Windows 10: Is there anyway to have the screen blank while updating

Discus and support Is there anyway to have the screen blank while updating in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My screen button refuses to turn off the screen during updates so I get the sometime long annoying screen to be hidden. 173331 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cloa513, Jan 31, 2021.

1. cloa513 Win User

Is there anyway to have the screen blank while updating

My screen button refuses to turn off the screen during updates so I get the sometime long annoying screen to be hidden.

:)

cloa513, Jan 31, 2021

2. Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

FIX SCREEN SO IT DOESN'T GO BLANK

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the computer screen goes blank after sometime, I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you see any error message on the screen when the computer screen goes blank?
    • When you say “I need to fix it so that doesn't happen” how are you fixing the screen?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, you may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

If you are using a Desktop, then the first thing I would suggest you to do is check if the cables are connected properly.

Method 1: Refresh Graphics driver

I suggest you to try refreshing the graphics driver by using the key sequence
    Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B and see if that helps.

Method 2: Update graphics driver

I suggest you to try updating the graphics card driver and see if that helps. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the display driver and select
      Update Driver
    4. Restart the computer.

Article for reference: Update drivers in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Is there anyway to have the screen blank while updating - Similar Threads - anyway screen blank

2. Blank Screen while trying to Reset Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen while trying to Reset Windows: Hi,I had dramas when building a new PC, I had completely new everything about from my m.2 which I booted from but then had Thread Exception errors. I then started to re install windows but after the preparing section my monitor is stuck on standby while all devices have power...
  3. Blank Screen while trying to Reset Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Screen while trying to Reset Windows: Hi,I had dramas when building a new PC, I had completely new everything about from my m.2 which I booted from but then had Thread Exception errors. I then started to re install windows but after the preparing section my monitor is stuck on standby while all devices have power...
  4. Blank Screen issues while Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen issues while Gaming: Hello there.Recently I bought AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Nitro+ graphic card. And started to have some issues while playing Games. When I play Call Of Duty Warzone, after some time my monitor just goes blank, I can see it’s working but it’s nothing on the screen and I have a weird...
  5. Blank Screen issues while Gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Screen issues while Gaming: Hello there.Recently I bought AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Nitro+ graphic card. And started to have some issues while playing Games. When I play Call Of Duty Warzone, after some time my monitor just goes blank, I can see it’s working but it’s nothing on the screen and I have a weird...
  6. Laptop screen goes blank while using it

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop screen goes blank while using it: This happens on a new HP Pavilion x360. Even while actively using the laptop, the screen would go blank and is reactivated when the mouse is moved. What could the cause?...
  7. Getting a blank dark screen while updating to Windows 20H2.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting a blank dark screen while updating to Windows 20H2.: Hey guys. So I've been trying to update my Windows to the latest version. The problem I received was that somewhere around 40%, the screen just goes complete blank. Even after waiting, everything's still blank. Now I was stressing out a little since I'm a student and I need...
  8. Update screen is blank.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update screen is blank.: I have two PCs. One custom build desktop and one Asus’s laptop. Today I decided to do optional cumulative update. And so I updated my laptop. My laptop showed downloading update, installing and then rebooted successfully. After that, I updated my custom build desktop, it...
  9. BLANK SCREEN WHILE ON

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BLANK SCREEN WHILE ON: i wanted to shutdown my laptop but it gave an option to update and shutdown which i did. however it didn't take long to update and shutdown. The next time i wanted to switch it on it would only show the beam light on but with blank screen so how can deal with this issue?...
  10. Screen goes Blank or colored while Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes Blank or colored while Gaming: This has been bugging me like crazy. I'll be playing a game and a good chance it'll either cause the computer to reboot or the monitor will shut off (sometimes it'll give a colored screen). Heavy games like GTA5 seem to cause it faster. Dead by Daylight I was able to play,...