Windows 10: Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when...

Discus and support Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] As you can see, when Windows chooses a darker title bar it sometimes pairs it with black text which makes it really hard for me to read. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JackofAllMasteroNone, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when...

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... ap-xh5v75RTmAUf_zAEzP_KZg4Yn4vV5mm2UZpxhLnY.jpg

As you can see, when Windows chooses a darker title bar it sometimes pairs it with black text which makes it really hard for me to read. To add insult to injury this only applies to certain windows like file explorer but not task manager which looks more appropriate to me. Is this a bug or does this happen for anyone else? I pretty much can't used titled color bars because of it, I'm forced to use the default white (or dark) title bars.

https://preview.redd.it/j4x6hsaj922...bp&s=1de47b39c7a69cdcc4a9230127c832b58b3eb299

submitted by /u/JackofAllMasteroNone
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JackofAllMasteroNone, Dec 1, 2019
  2. tomseys Win User

Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually

I made a related thread about this earlier asking about how to set the title bar color in the registry manually. I decided to make another thread on this to better describe the issue and also to give it a better thread title since I believe what I'm really asking is how to deal with a bug in 1809.

The bug is that unlike in versions 1803 and earlier, when you let windows 10 choose an accent color to color title bars (and start, action center and taskbar) in 1809, it colors title bars a much darker color than before. The color is much darker than what it shows in the example provided. See here:

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... [​IMG]

Much darker:

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... [​IMG]

So here is the problem/bug/change in more detail:

Ok, so, in Windows 10 version 1803 and earlier versions of Windows 10, if you choose a background (in this case the Windows 10 blue background) like this:

And select automatically pick an accent color from background:

The color of the title bars of folders, file explorer and Firefox (the menubar and tab bar) looks like this:

Firefox

The color is a light blue I believe #26A6F2

The menu bar text on Firefox is black as is the text on tabs and the minimize close buttons etc.

The taskbar and and start etc have a darker blue and that is fine:

So this is the way it has always been as far back as I can recall.

But now, starting with version 1809, using the same settings above, the title bar color is no longer that shade of blue... it is much darker. See below for example:

Firefox

Notice the much darker shade of blue (color #06476F) and the white text of the menu bar etc for example in Firefox.

The task bar, start etc appear to have the same or similar color in 1809 as in 1803, it is only the title bar coloring that has changed from a relatively light blue to a dark blue.

If i "customize" the accent color in an attempt to make the title bar color lighter like the way it is naturally in 1803, this throws the colors of the taskbar and start, action center off... it makes them lighter as well and it doesn't look good to me... poor contrast, especially the start area.

I could just use a theme for firefox but this still leaves other title bars dark blue and I'd rather not use a theme if possible since it changes loading behavior of FF slightly. I could also use a userchrome file to control colors on FF but I had issues with getting the menu bar text black like in 1803 and it again it does nothing for other title bars.

So I was looking at this SMACC tool but I'm having difficulties getting it to do what I want it to do ... which is to make title bars of Firefox and file explorer etc look like they do in 1803... that same lighter blue. I'm not concerned about task bar, start, action center etc because there are both as far as I can see colored the same/similarly in 1803 and 1809.

So I started by turning off accent color on title bars:

And then tried to set the blue color using the smacc tool but nothing I do sticks... I save to registry and log out and then in and nothing. The dark blue color remains. i think it may be because I just don't know what I'm doing so maybe someone who is familiar with this can makes suggestions on exactly how to use this tool to do what I want.. if it is possible.

Thanks for reading and any help. I may not answer for a bit... holiday stuff.

tomseys, Dec 1, 2019
  3. tomseys Win User
    Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually

Thanks Edwin. That initially works (run as administrator etc)... it actually also adjusts the signing off/shut down screen color to close to the accent color instead of the new darker mystery accent color.. but on signing in it is all lost.. windows has taken it back over to the very dark color on title bars (and apparently the signout/shutdown screen). It's like accent color means very dark version of accent color in terms of title bars. It doesn't do this in 1803 or any earlier version of Windows 10 I can recall.

Works

After signing back in

tomseys, Dec 1, 2019
  4. HenkMS Win User

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when...

Explorer title bar text color too bright grey

Hi Loraine, thanks for your answer.

The High contrast settings are changing all colours in a direction that I do not like at all.

It's for business and I try to stay more or less close to the Windows 7 settings.

The result with the original too bright title bars is:

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... b056ee74-209f-49de-b837-c7ae99c3feac.jpg

After setting the AccentColorInactive to b8b4b0 (BGR), the result is:

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... 4ccf92f8-7e22-4c14-af6a-ab23c8aea1b6.jpg

Now you can now see 2 problems that I have:

• The File Explorer title bar gets a poor text contrast, while the Notepad title bar is OK. This is related to the presence of buttons in the File Explorer title bar.

The text colour in the File Explorer title bar is the same as without the grey background.

In the Notepad window the text colour gets darker than the original color.

The addition of colors seems to happen in a different way.
    • The Windows 10 Settings window has a blue title bar when active and a still a white title bar when inactive.

The AccentColorInactive parameter does not set that color.
    It would be nice if Microsoft could improve the colour experience.

Just an additional button "Show color on inactive title bar".

HenkMS, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when...

1. Is this a bug? I'm baffled by how Windows pairs dark text with darker title bar colors when... - Similar Threads - bug I'm baffled

2. Title Bar Bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Title Bar Bug: I had just upgraded to Windows 11 not 30 minutes ago, and I am already having this visual issue with my title bar. This only appears to be happening in Windows Explorer. I have tried restarting Explorer with task manager, restarting my computer, to no avail. My computer is a...
  3. Title Bar Bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Title Bar Bug: I had just upgraded to Windows 11 not 30 minutes ago, and I am already having this visual issue with my title bar. This only appears to be happening in Windows Explorer. I have tried restarting Explorer with task manager, restarting my computer, to no avail. My computer is a...
  4. I'm baffled at this

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I'm baffled at this: I have a problem that I don't have a clue what is causing it. What it is, is the bottom 1/3 of my monitor screen is shaded and divided into squares. They will be there when I turn the computer on and throughout the use, they will go away for a couple of seconds, then...
  5. I'm Baffled

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I'm Baffled: I have a problem ! I am the only user on my pc and use a local admiistrator account so i do not have to sign in everytime. Today i tried to create a task in scheduler,i went through all the usual stuff has i have done in the past but cannot create it as it keeps showing a...
  6. Title bar and task bar color

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Title bar and task bar color: [ATTACH] why is the title bar and the task bar not the exactly same color when set? the top bar always appears a little brighter than the start and action center it's the same with transparency effect, the button is always a little darker is it supposed to be this way?...
  7. Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually: I made a related thread about this earlier asking about how to set the title bar color in the registry manually. I decided to make another thread on this to better describe the issue and also to give it a better thread title since I believe what I'm really asking is how to...
  8. Is it possible to change the title bar *TEXT* color?

Is it possible to change the title bar *TEXT* color?: Today, Windows 10 Home version 1511, 10586 was forced on me and now my title bar text is an ugly white. It used to be black and I have no clue how to get it back that way. I searched and found this tutorial that tells you to modify a value in the registry, but that didn't do...
  9. Colored Windows Title Bars

Colored Windows Title Bars: No Colored Windows Title Bars. I had this problem with my other computer. That computer had myriad of problems including the white title bar problem. To fix it I, (on the advise of someone on this forum), download a file. That fixed the problem. For all the...
  10. Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10 Title bar text of open windows will have a separate color for active and inactive windows. An active window is the current open window you have selected. It's title...