Windows 10: Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed?

Discus and support Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I found the following number online, listed as Microsoft support : 0800 026 0330. I was ringing in regards to my office product key which I am... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TomCav1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TomCav1 Win User

Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed?

I found the following number online, listed as Microsoft support : 0800 026 0330.

I was ringing in regards to my office product key which I am unable to read.

Anyway, it first sounded like genuine call centre ( phones ringing in the background, others talking) but then the person I was speaking to sounded a bit strange...

She first asked for my phone number and email. She then sent a verification code to my email, from the following address: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. I confirmed this code, where they then asked me to send over the documents/ receipt of where I bought the code/ image of product key.

It all seemed a little odd so i ended the call, however I am now worried I may have been scammed.

I have searched this number online again, where I have seen it listed as a microsoft number, but it's nowhere on the official Microsoft website?

Please help. Not sure what to do.

:)

TomCav1, Nov 22, 2018

2. Microsoft lock out ..scam or real?

All these kind of pop-ups/alerts are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:

Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams

See screenshots of similar scams:

Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed? bbebdd91-761d-447b-99a0-f85e2c958591.png

You click on OK.

Then you'll see this:

Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed? 56bacb8b-8290-4ff2-b9ca-d0d64168c120.png

Then you check-mark Don't let this page create more messages + click on
    Leave this page.

Source of the pictures above as well as more info in the Answer-marked post of GreginMich
    in
    this
    thread.

In case you're using Edge and the above doesn't work, see also
    this
    post of Scott_Ki.

Or you just use the Task Manager to close your browser.

See:
    PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Some more articles to read:

You might want to report this to Microsoft (but you don't have to):
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

and you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Scam?

No, that's not a Microsoft phone number.

All these kind of pop-ups/alerts are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

You might want to report this to Microsoft (but you don't have to):
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

and you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Sharief K Win User

Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2014/09/18/how-to-report-the-microsoft-phone-scam/

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

Sharief K, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Is this a real Microsoft number?! Or have I been scammed? - Similar Threads - real Microsoft number

2. Have I been scammed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have I been scammed: Last month my desktop computer was blocked and I had to call this number to get help, +1 425-310-5434. A man called Thomas Maier said that I had no Firewall and no security on my computer, he used Ultraviewer to get access to my computer. I knew that my protection had run out...
  3. Have I been scammed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have I been scammed: Last month my desktop computer was blocked and I had to call this number to get help, +1 425-310-5434. A man called Thomas Maier said that I had no Firewall and no security on my computer, he used Ultraviewer to get access to my computer. I knew that my protection had run out...
  4. Scam or real

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scam or real: I received a credit an email from support @worldbtctrade.com,but it Shows that this email was sent on behalf of another *** Email address is removed for privacy *** dont know if it fake or true....
  5. I have been scammed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have been scammed: if you are in the crypto coin world do not us <Removed> they are a scam site they are in the Microsoft 2 factor authentication site its a scam don't use it!!!! [Original Title: scammed]...
  6. is this a Microsoft number?scam

is this a Microsoft number?scam: dont microsoft always make sure they get payment before they do work and do they use westernunion transfer and is it any where in delware for billing is 18003430872 a real number it is a tol free number or 302-223-3702 is this billing for microsfts number so ip...
  7. have i been scammed

have i been scammed: Error code-0x8024402c with a phone number that obviously was not microsoft however i am now worried that the phone number i did think was microsoft was not & concerned as i let her share my screen. can someone please give me some advice as im not very good with technology....
  8. have i been scammed

have i been scammed: error code 0x8024402c asking me to call 01215120016 it obviously was not microsoft BUT i did ring this number 03448002400 & shared my screen can anyone please tell me if this is a microsoft phone number as im not sure what to do...
  9. Have I been scammed?

Have I been scammed?: Have I been scammed? My computer was running very slow and I kept getting a pop up window saying it has 5 drivers outdated with a help number, The advisor was very helpful and said I could update the 5 drivers for $39.99. As we got into downloading the drivers, he often...
  10. MICROSOFT refund...REAL OR SCAM??

MICROSOFT refund...REAL OR SCAM??: Security...I received seceral phone calls (finally answered today) from a caller with a distinct accent that said i was due a refund from microsoft of about $300. I am skeptical because he needed a verification code which i have not yet requested and then he supposed;ly...