Windows 10: Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification

Discus and support Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft Forum, Today in my inbox, I saw the following email -- it came four times -- from Microsoft, and I suspect it's a fraud, particularly... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaffyDuckKangaroo, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification

Hello Microsoft Forum,

Today in my inbox, I saw the following email -- it came four times -- from Microsoft, and I suspect it's a fraud, particularly because I don't remember trying to sign in anywhere. Can someone please tell me if my suspicions are correct? Thanks, Daffy D.

The sender's email address is the following: Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification 39d69f6a-62dd-4fa1-a887-f9489e680f5f?upload=true.png

And the body of the email said the following:

Microsoft account
    You need an app password
    We noticed that you tried to sign in with the password for your Microsoft account on one of these apps or devices. Since you've turned on two-step verification for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, you need to use an app password instead for any of the following to work with two-step verification. We've sent this reminder to all the security info you've provided. If you haven't already done this, we'll help you set up these apps and devices with app passwords:
    Outlook desktop app for your PC or Mac
    Email apps on an iOS, Android or BlackBerry device
    Office 2010, Office for Mac 2011, or earlier
    Windows Essentials Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Mail
    Zune desktop app
    Xbox 360
    Windows Phone 8 or earlier
    Set up my apps and devices
    Thanks,
    The Microsoft account team

:)

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Jan 31, 2020

2. email account hacked. please help

Then I suggest you use it.

TheMailMan78, Jan 31, 2020
  3. How to setup the two step verification for my Microsoft Account.

Show me screenshots of where I turn on the two step verification for my Microsoft Account and how I turn on the Two Step Verification using a different email address to receive all of the codes I would need to reset my password. I am not using Outlook to
    access my Local, Microsoft Account

Thank you,

ruthie 801, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification

New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Source: G Suite Updates Blog: New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Brink, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification

1. Is This a Scam? Received email Supposedly from Microsoft Asking for Two-Step Verification - Similar Threads - Scam Received email

2. I received an email Action required for two-step verification from *** Email address is...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I received an email Action required for two-step verification from *** Email address is...: I received an email Action required for two-step verification from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** directed to another email cc'ing my email address asking "Now that you've turned on two-step verification for ro***** Email address is removed for privacy ***, not...
  3. two step verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  4. two step verification

two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  5. two step verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Two-Step Verification Process

Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  7. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  8. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  9. Not receiving two-step verification code via text

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not receiving two-step verification code via text: I've forgotten my password to my windows account which is the only admin account. I've received the code via backup email and I've tried to get the second via text. I've clicked it so many times that it gave me an error message saying "You've requested too many codes today....
  10. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...