Windows 10: Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me?

Discus and support Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So, I'm studying for the CompTIA A+ Core 2 exam and I get this explanation about how NTFS Permissions work. Here it is: "Both NTFS and share... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ObiWanKenobi, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me?

So, I'm studying for the CompTIA A+ Core 2 exam and I get this explanation about how NTFS Permissions work. Here it is:

"Both NTFS and share permissions can be assigned to users and groups."

It sounds a little bit backwards to me. Does one actually assign NTFS and share permissions to users and groups? Or is it more accurate to say that users and groups can be assigned to NTFS and Share permissions?

The users and the groups get added to ACL lists. NTFS permissions do not get added to users or groups.

I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi here. I understand what they're trying to teach. But having taken logic in the past I know that you can't just swap word positions interchangeably in every circumstance and not affect the meaning of the sentence.

Am I right or wrong here?

Windows local security policies work in much the same way. I used to think that users and groups had local security policies attached to the users or the groups. But it's the other way around. Users and Groups are assigned to security policy rules.

:)

ObiWanKenobi, Jan 2, 2020

2. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Backwards Compatibility

Hi Zachary,

Some games are already backwards compatible on Xbox One from Xbox 360. To check the list of the backwards compatible games, you can visit this

link

If you have comments or suggestions, you are free to post them on our
    Xbox Feedback page
    . You can recommend and vote for the games and features that you want to be available on Xbox.

If you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Loraine Mon, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me?

Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

Mark and ShandyCarson, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me?

1. Is this comment regarding NTFS Permissions backwards or is it just me? - Similar Threads - comment regarding NTFS

2. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS Permission Confuse me: Full control: ModifyRead & execute: List folder contents:Read: Write: The write and read permission within the NFTS permission confuses me can you explain or simplify these permission in regards to a file and and folder please...
  3. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permission Confuse me: Full control: ModifyRead & execute: List folder contents:Read: Write: The write and read permission within the NFTS permission confuses me can you explain or simplify these permission in regards to a file and and folder please...
  4. NTFS Permission Confuse me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  6. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  7. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. NTFS permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS permissions: Windows 10, Windows 7 - probably all Window versions. I work in a highly regulated area and want to just save data to a Windows folder/directory that does not allow (for data integrity purposes) users to delete or modify data stored within the directory. Windows saving...
  9. NTFS Permissions...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS Permissions...: I am unable to change the permission of a folder. I have never come across this problem until now and it's irritating because I am unable to download steam games due to the fact my folder is stuck in read-only and every time I un-check the box and click apply, the folder...
  10. NTFS Permissions Confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS Permissions Confusion: I clearly do not understand NTFS permissions. Can someone please help eliminate my confusion. When I am signed in to RAVEN\Clayton (local, standard account) and I check Properties->Security on D:\Users\Clayton\Utilities, I find: [img] To me this indicates that...