Windows 10: Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates

Discus and support Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't believe I've noticed this before, but on my laptop, that does not have a metered connection or any other WU restrictions other that "Notify to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TV2, Feb 13, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates

I don't believe I've noticed this before, but on my laptop, that does not have a metered connection or any other WU restrictions other that "Notify to Schedule Restart" I got an option asking if I wanted to install the updates downloaded or reschedule.
    Is this new?
    Windows 10 Home
    _

Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates [​IMG]

:)

2. PeterLast Win User

Why is this **** rebooting in the middle of a movie? Doing updates?

I was just watching a movie on a Windows 10 computer. It restarted itself in the middle of a movie, and is installing updates right now. No warning, no option to postpone. Thanks Microsoft. I am installing 7 tomorrow and fck you.

PeterLast, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Is this phone out yet??

Just read a post this morning.....it said an 02 representative said that the release date seems to be postponed for a month...

Dont know how true it is ???????????

Good luck

Sagar

sagarjadhav---01, Feb 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

I don't know if it is new or not. I don't pay this kind of attention since I don't have a choice with my Win 10 home.
    I just let the system do the install.
    I do know I saw that message too.

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Hey,
    In my other laptop running Win 10 Pro Insider Preview, I just got this....................

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Do you only get this if set to automatically install updates. I have never seen it, and my pcs are set to notify.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Mine are set to Notify too, and I get that same screen....have for a long time, on both my computers.

OldMike65, Feb 13, 2016
  8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

On the subject machine the updates were downloading and then installing automatically, the option was not offered.
    _

_
    This is the first time I noticed I had this choice. I could have been dense, yes. But I usually notice these things.

I do not find an option for "Automatically Install Updates" anywhere, it seems to be the default, unchangeable setting.

9. davidhk Win User
    .................I do not find an option for "Automatically Install Updates" anywhere......................

On Windows 10 Home, Windows updates, by default, are to be installed automatically.
    You don't have a choice, hence no such option is available nor needed.
    The only "option" is either "Automatic (recommended)" or "Notify to schedule restart" under Advanced settings. Either case, updates will be installed automatically anyway. The only difference is, the former will begin restart once updates are installed while the latter will give you a choice of when to run the restart.

Of course, there is a tutorial to hide updates. But that's another topic.

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Exactly.

That is why I was surprised to be offered the choice to install updates later, and why I posted.

I like it, mind you, it is a welcome change if it is one. Just as I said, I never saw this option before on this W10 Home machine.

11. Yes I get that and when I note the date and time that is when I have entered the password to log in.
    As it is loading the rest of the programs or even when idle windows 10 update will run for me to make sure I have no updates pending ready for me to do a install.
    All I do if there are any is click install then it informs me I have to do a restart then or later
    Once restarted it flashes up latest updates have been installed
    That is how I know my systems have all the latest windows updates

Also it has been there from when I first upgraded from 8.1 which was beginning of August

hTconeM9user, Feb 13, 2016
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Interesting.
    It seems this (the first screenshot in post #1) is normal for most people.
    I wonder why this is the first time I have seen it?
    (And I may not see it again, as I have already delivered the laptop to the user)

There was no log-in or password set/required on that laptop.

13. TV2
    TV2 Win User

An update:

I just ran updates on a second desktop here.
    Both desktops are Windows 10 Home
    Both have the same Windows Updates options offered
    Both have the same option settings.

On the second desktop WU found the new updates (this weeks: MRT, Adobe, Cumulative), downloaded them automatically, and installed them immediately. No options.

On the first desktop I got the same 3 updates but after downloading automatically I was offered the option shown in Post#1.

So I'm not crazy! (much) It is odd and inconsistent behavior.
    I wonder why?

14. damocles Win User
    it's not new....I've this on older version

damocles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates - Similar Threads - Postpone Installing Updates

2. How to know if Security Update can be postponed ? I routinely allowed KB5022282 install but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to know if Security Update can be postponed ? I routinely allowed KB5022282 install but...: Is it possible to find out if a Security Update can be avoided under certain conditions?As an example, I need to perform a critical task which only involves followingreceive email with PowerPoint attachment from known trusted internal co-workeruse PowerPoint to view above...
  3. How to know if Security Update can be postponed ? I routinely allowed KB5022282 install but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to know if Security Update can be postponed ? I routinely allowed KB5022282 install but...: Is it possible to find out if a Security Update can be avoided under certain conditions?As an example, I need to perform a critical task which only involves followingreceive email with PowerPoint attachment from known trusted internal co-workeruse PowerPoint to view above...
  4. How to know if Security Update can be postponed ? I routinely allowed KB5022282 install but...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Postpone e-mails

Postpone e-mails: Hello, I'd like to send various emails to my employees when it's their birthday. Sometimes this is a Sunday or a Holiday. I know how to postpone my e-mail, but then it online wants to send the email when I'm online. Is it possible to plan/programme/send emails when I'm...
  6. How Long can a Feature Update be Postponed?

How Long can a Feature Update be Postponed?: I've had 1809 running well for a while now and have been putting off 1903 as I don't need any surprises! It says of course 1903 is waiting for download and install. Well I've just chosen to not bother with it, but when will it force itself upon me? Is there any rule of thumb...
  7. Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

in Windows 10 Customization
    Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily: I'm assuming this has been asked, but I can't find it., so I'm posting a question with answer here. If you want to postpone Windows 10 updates temporarily (e.g., I'm running an analysis in Python that takes ~14 days, but Windows thinks it's OK to download updates and reboot...
  8. How to postpone automatic Windows 10 update?

How to postpone automatic Windows 10 update?: I need my computer tonight without interruption and Windows wants to update. How can I tell it to wait til tomorrow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-postpone-automatic-windows-10-update/d2aa33ea-3627-443e-a466-b82a0c918b80
  9. Samsung to Postpone the Launch of the Galaxy Fold

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung to Postpone the Launch of the Galaxy Fold: We recently unveiled a completely new mobile category: a smartphone using multiple new technologies and materials to create a display that is flexible enough to fold. We are encouraged by the excitement around the Galaxy Fold. While many reviewers shared with us the vast...
  10. Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps: Since the updated Windows 10 invariably needs a restart after the power-on startup, is there a way to postpone certain apps like my backup programs, until after that restart? 33682