Windows 10: Is this spec enough to run W10

Discus and support Is this spec enough to run W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do you think this spec laptop will perform with Windows 10 - or would it be better to stick with W7. [img] Thanks 22954 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pewe, Sep 16, 2015.

1. pewe Win User

Is this spec enough to run W10

How do you think this spec laptop will perform with Windows 10 - or would it be better to stick with W7.

Is this spec enough to run W10 [​IMG]

Thanks

:)

2. "This app cant run on your PC"

Hi All - im trying to download and install a version of Sage Accounts onto a PC.

Running windows 10 and have more than enough spec to run it...

Just getting very frustrated by the fact it wont let me run the programme/app.

Its worked perfectly well on another laptop (W7) and another PC (W10).

Advice/Help is more than welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

BenStanford, Sep 16, 2015
  3. Anniversary Update fail 0xc1900200

Thanks for replying but the update itself says that the specs are good - then it still fails! Also already running W10

ainsley001, Sep 16, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Does your system meet the MS specified requirements?

Windows 10 System Requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    Display: 800x600

Please list the full technical specs of the specific device in order to receive better guidance *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  5. pewe Win User
    I'm not sure of the full spec - it's not for me, it's a laptop that belongs to a relative.

It meets the min specs from MS, but then so did another relatives laptop but they found that W10 was so slow they reverted to Win8 - so I was just wondering if others had had experiences with a PC of similar 'power'.*Nerd

6. bdorman Win User
    It should run Windows 10 similar to how it's running Windows 8. It certainly won't perform 'better'. It will work, but it might not be usable in the sense of speed.

bdorman, Sep 16, 2015
  7. azasadny Win User
    In my experience (18 PC's converted to Win10, so far), if the PC runs Win7, it will run Win10 "better". That may akso be because I clean up the PC and update drivers, BIOS, defrag drive, etc... when I upgrade them to Win10... Nobody has complained to me after upgrading to Win10...

azasadny, Sep 16, 2015
  8. pewe Win User

Thanks.

It may be worth trying then - I guess it could always be reverted if its not satisfactory.

9. WhyMe Win User
    I recommend making an image first, just in case the upgrade breaks Windows

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    I used to know a Village Idiot but his name was Jeber*Smile

11. bobkn Win User
    It may be worthwhile to check whether the laptop has Windows 10 drivers available, especially for its display adapter. There may be a work-around, but it would complicate the upgrade. If there are no 10 drivers posted, 8.1 drivers often can be used.

Let me add my vote: the owner really should image the hard drive before attempting anything as major as an OS upgrade. It will greatly simplify life if the upgrade fails badly.

In my limited experience, if a PC runs Windows 7, it will run 10 about the same. I don't think that 10 requires more resources than 7.

bobkn, Sep 16, 2015
  12. WhyMe Win User
    It's just a coincidence that I'm known as 'Jeber - The Pantyhose Kid'. The Jeber your talking about lives in the next village down.

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Is this spec enough to run W10 [​IMG]

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  14. pewe Win User
    Thanks guys - will do an image first then *Cool

15. spapakons Win User
    Let's confirm your PC meets the minimum hardware requirements to Install Windows 8 or 10...

CPU: At least 1GHz, yours is 2.30GHz, so YES.
    RAM: At least 1GB, yours is 2GB, so YES.
    CPU & m/b with NX & PAE support, your CPU is Pentium Dual Core, so YES
    Graphics card with WDDM drivers, I can see from the screenshot you have Aero enabled, so YES.

So go for it! Backup your data, just in case something goes wrong, and go for the inplace upgrade. This means that you start Setup (32-bit version) from Windows 7 and select to upgrade. This will keep all your data and programs and you won't need to reinstall. I recommend disabling the antivirus though in case it blocks something and screws the process.

Things missing in Windows 10 and how to get them back:

1) If you want Windows 7 like Start menu, then try Classic Shell. You can even download the SevenG skin and make the Start button identical to Windows 7.

2) Legacy Microsoft Games (Solitaire etc) are not available in Windows 8 and 10. Yes, there are modern versions in Windows Store, but if you like the same old ones as in Windows 7, then keep a copy of the folder "Microsoft Games" in Program Files before you upgrade. After the upgrade you can copy the folder back in Program Files and then patch it to make it work in Windows 8 or 10. Google it for details, I'm sure there must be a relevant article in eightforums.

3) Windows Gadgets are not available in Windows 8 and 10. Yes, there are alternatives in Windows Store, but if you like the same old ones as in Windows 7, then download and install latest 8gadgetpack After installation you can even double click and install any third party gadgets you have from Windows 7.

4) Windows Media Center is an optional paid upgrade in Windows 8 while officially is not supported in Windows 10. Search this forum for installing and enabling it in Windows 10.

5) The new default Windows 10 theme indicates the active Window with only a very thin outline in the chosen color. If this happens to be black, then you can hardy tell which Window is active and which is inactive. You can download and install the Aerolite theme (search this forum) which gives back the full color in the active window as in Windows 8.

So you can see that with some tweaks you can have it all. The old familiar Windows 7 interface, legacy games, gadgets etc, plus the new Windows 10 apps. I wouldn't wait any longer, I would upgrade now!

I hope that helps.

Almost forgot! Don't worry about drivers, if you cannot find Windows 10 32-bit, use Windows 8 32-bit or Windows 7 32-bit. In worst case (very old device) use Windows Vista 32-bit if available. Some (network cards etc) even work with Windows XP drivers, but I wouldn't bet on that. I recommend to find and download all drivers in advance before upgrading.

I recently tried to install Windows 10 32-bit in an old laptop. I borrowed a RAM module from another laptop to make RAM just over 1GB, everything was OK. Not too fast (laptop was from Vista era) but acceptable. I then removed the RAM and left it with the original 512MB. Windows 10 loads but everything is too slow, RAM usage is constantly over 85%. So yes, it works with less specs than the recommended minimum, but you better have at least 1GB RAM and 1GHz CPU.

Also a warning for old computers or notebooks: Windows 8 and 10 do not support Windows XP graphics drivers (XPDM). Make sure there are WDDM drivers (at least Vista) available, or you will be stuck with Windows Basic Display Adapter and this is VERY slow. If anyone has an old graphics card without WDDM driver, he better stick with Windows 7 and install latest Windows XP graphics drivers. He won't have Aero, but there will at least be some 3D acceleration, way better!

spapakons, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Is this spec enough to run W10 - Similar Threads - spec enough run

2. "There is not enough memory to run this program" error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "There is not enough memory to run this program" error: I am in an enterprise environment and have a several computers that are generating this error. There is no common program or actions that is causing this between my customers. It seems to be random and it is not leaving any errors in the logs. The error comes up when the...
  3. "There is not enough memory to run this program" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "There is not enough memory to run this program" error: I am in an enterprise environment and have a several computers that are generating this error. There is no common program or actions that is causing this between my customers. It seems to be random and it is not leaving any errors in the logs. The error comes up when the...
  4. These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?: Would it benefit me or would it slow the computer down if I upgraded to windows 10, as it runs okay on windows 7 Processor ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) II X2 B24 ProcessorManufacturer AMD Speed 3 GHz Number of Cores 2 CPU ID 178BFBFF00100F62 MemoryRAM 8.0 GB Storage: 512gb...
  5. Can I run FS2020 on these specs?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can I run FS2020 on these specs?: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB of memory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-run-fs2020-on-these-specs/e899d4b2-8c46-48b5-9e5a-216ac366425b
  6. Is W10 1903 stable enough to replace 1809?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is W10 1903 stable enough to replace 1809?: Intel support advised me that I may have to (re)install Windows because of a problem between Windows and Intel's latest Intel video drivers for my chipset. I am using now 1809 and it was very stable for me, so I am asking if there are any issues with 1903. With either version...
  7. My specs 'good' enough for video editing?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My specs 'good' enough for video editing?: Hello, For my study I bought the HP Pavilion Power 15 laptop with the specs: Intel Core i5 7300HQ (4 cores) 2,5 GHz (max. 3,5 GHz) 16 GB ram 756 gb SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2048 MB Simple question, what is your opinion if you see this specs for basic video editing (most...
  8. What games can I run with these specs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What games can I run with these specs?: What games can I run with these specs? Playable games and I don't worry if I play at the lowest settings in game. Thanks!! [img] [img] PS : I know the driver date is old of the graphics lol , I will upgrade to version 15.33.36.64.4226 or to the latest version...
  9. Running Windows 10 on low spec systems

Running Windows 10 on low spec systems: Anyone running 10 on a low spec machine? ( eg. Core 2 processors, and pre Windows 7 compliant) I'm keen to know how the performance keeps up after a few days, weeks etc. 11038
  10. How fast should a PC run at these specs?

How fast should a PC run at these specs?: Specs: Computer: ACPI x64 based PC Main Hard Drive: HTS721010G9S SCSI (Switching to a better one soon) Display adapter: AMD XFX RADEON HD 6870 1GB Processor(s): AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor 3.20 Ghz 50749