Windows 10: Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?

Discus and support Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello; I found that a 32GB LEXAR USB 3.0 thrumb drive was not being fully recognized by my PC. When using File Manager and clicking on Removable disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VinceB, Nov 4, 2018.

1. VinceB Win User

Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?

Hello;

I found that a 32GB LEXAR USB 3.0 thrumb drive was not being fully recognized by my PC. When using File Manager and clicking on Removable disk (IIs this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? :) under This PC, I am getting a prompt: Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk (IIs this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? :). [The volume name used to be shown as EXAR (IIs this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? :), IIRC.] When I show the hidden icons and attempt to safely eject drive I:, it is not included in the list of removable drives. Physically pulling the USB thumb drive from the USB port, however, does result in an audible system sound being played.

Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Devices and Printers shows the device as: USB Flash Drive .

When this suspect USB thumb drive is attached to the PC, I experience flashing icons in the task bar and on the desktop (previous thread in the Performance and Maintenance forum) . So, the system apparently was continuously searching for a drive at the USB port.

Is this suspect EXAR USB thumb drive toasted ?

I also wonder if the USB port is damaged?, because another USB (EXAR) thumb drive (one with win10 install files) , when inserted into the same USB port, its internal LED is continuously lit; and when attempting to eject it, I am told that it is continuously in use; so I shutdown the PC before removing that win10 install USB drive . I do have other USB thumb drives available here, and will do further testing with them.

I believe that both the suspect and the win10 install thumb drives are from a package of three EXAR thumb drives. However, the suspect EXAR USB drive does not show any lit up LED, which supports the theory that the device is indeed toasted.

I had the suspect EXAR USB thumb drive physically inserted into the USB port 24/7, and used it as a storage location for manually copying a few important files. I found that it was difficult to slide the movable part in and out; had to work it a few times until it became easier to slide in/out.

Device Manager under Disk Drives Properties and also under Portable Devices (IIs this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? :) Properties reports: This device is working normally.

Any thoughts/comments on this issue will be appreciated.

Regards,

:)

VinceB, Nov 4, 2018
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Win7 System Image on USB Thumb Drive = NO?

USB drive was literally hours off the shelf, and I did a FULL format (not quick) back to exFAT after trying that, no errors or problems. It appeared that windows image backup didn't like a thumb drive... ergo the question.

Sasqui, Nov 4, 2018
  4. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port? - Similar Threads - USB Thumb drive

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working: Copy of log from Event Viewer:Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 1/15/2022 9:00:00 AM Event ID: 430 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-CVMQ4QC Description: Device...
  6. Fast little USB thumb drive.

Fast little USB thumb drive.: Just got one of these. It arrived today. Macrium Reflect accepts it as a place to save a backup. My backups are about 16GB, so I tested it's speed at defaults and for 16GB sized files. Pretty fast. I had it in a USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A, port. 177574
  7. usb thumb drive ejection problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb thumb drive ejection problem.: Just two or three days ago I started having a problem when I try to eject a Sandisk 32GB usb thumb and get the nasty li'l "device is currently in use" window. I've been using this thumb for over a year now with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the computer or to...
  8. USB thumb drives

USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  9. Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters: Greetings all, Can anyone tell me why I would be seeing duplicate drive letters for any USB drive i.e. thumb, ssd, etc., in the MS Explorer navigation pane. Also, when I click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar to remove the USB drive, it's always...
  10. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...