Windows 10: Is unformated primary partition necessary

Discus and support Is unformated primary partition necessary in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Noticed this #2 partition, (128MB), on my lappy, is it serving any purpose? Best way to include it in the C: partition, Tx 39608 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meebers, Feb 2, 2016.

1. meebers Win User

Is unformated primary partition necessary

Noticed this #2 partition, (128MB), on my lappy, is it serving any purpose? Best way to include it in the C: partition, Tx

:)

meebers, Feb 2, 2016
  2. D_Blade Win User

Dual Boot Linux Manjaro Issues in Windows 10

I am just wondering if it is really necessary to have an extended partition at all ?

I mean you can also install it on a primary partition (or any other kind of partition). In fact, I got my Manjaro installed on a primary partition (together dual boot with Win 7 on a different primary partition though).

D_Blade, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Disk partition

Hi Audreyries,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What do you mean by “Boot page file crash dump primary”?
    • Are you trying to partition the drive from the primary partition?
    Please be informed when you upgrade to Windows 10 a recovery partition will be created.

Reply with necessary information and we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Some say it's needed (including Microsoft), some say it isn't (including myself and MiniTool). See this post:
    Solved Partitions on laptop - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

It's your choice Is unformated primary partition necessary :) If you choose to delete it and add it to your C: drive system partition, then follow the MiniTool instructions and just add it to the C: drive instead of the system reserved partition.

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    It's probably necessary because it has a Windows System logo on it, but it's quite small, that seems strange!

Edwin, Feb 2, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's the pesky MSR partition that causes so much hate and discontent....

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    *Thumbs

Edwin, Feb 2, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

I'd leave it. MS say it is required (although they are a bit vague what it is required for) so even if they don't use it now they might in future.

You could delete it, move C to the left and then extend C. If it turns out its presence is required for some future upgrade though you'd have to shrink C and shuffle it to the right and then recreate it... Seems a lot of effort for such a tiny gain.

Its only 128MB (strangely they seem to have reduced the size lately - mine is only 16MB).

lx07, Feb 2, 2016
  9. meebers Win User
    I just can't get a grip on it being #1, unformated and #2, does not appear to have used any of it, 128/128. On my small drive, was trying to utilize all the space it has.

On my W10RTM desktop version it shows this.

meebers, Feb 2, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is space reserved for future use by Microsoft on GPT type disks. Is your desktop a GPT disk or MBR disk?

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2016
  11. meebers Win User
    MBR, have never been asked to choose GPT or MBR on a new disk. Have always let windows install choose type. GPT is blank *chuckle

meebers, Feb 2, 2016
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    As it is only 128 MB which is about .3% of the disk size there seems little point in trying to use it. I would leave it alone.

LMiller7, Feb 2, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

It is one of those games they can now play = now that they have GPT and no restrictions on the number of partitions. GPT is the anti baby pill of disk management and allows all kinds of uncontrolled activities.

14. Spike999 Win User
    Not sure I'd risk removing it, considering how little you'll gain.

Spike999, Feb 2, 2016
  15. meebers Win User
    Although for me, I don't like to experiment that much on HDD/SDD's I just might do so. With Macrium, will try a "test" image and uncheck that partition, load it on a spare drive and see what happens. *Eek In the mean time, will let things as they are!

Tx for all the comments!

meebers, Feb 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Is unformated primary partition necessary - Similar Threads - unformated primary partition

2. Can't able to make an unallocated partition into a primary partition!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't able to make an unallocated partition into a primary partition!: I was making another partition to free some space but so when I right-clicked on it and clicked on New simple volume. When I clicked on finish at the end of the wizard I got when creating, a message came saying: I clicked on yes but the it shows this message saying this:So...
  3. Can't able to make an unallocated partition into a primary partition!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't able to make an unallocated partition into a primary partition!: I was making another partition to free some space but so when I right-clicked on it and clicked on New simple volume. When I clicked on finish at the end of the wizard I got when creating, a message came saying: I clicked on yes but the it shows this message saying this:So...
  4. deleting primary partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleting primary partition: is it okay if i delete the healthy primary partition?931gb i need more space but im scared my pc wont boot if i delete it help pls thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-primary-partition/fadbe3b4-8c55-4c12-8bad-32a7db253aa8
  5. deleting primary partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleting primary partition: is it okay if i delete the healthy primary partition?931gb i need more space but im scared my pc wont boot if i delete it help pls thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-primary-partition/fadbe3b4-8c55-4c12-8bad-32a7db253aa8
  6. Extending Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extending Primary Partition: Hi. I noticed my recovery partition was eating up a good 24 GB of my SSD, so I deleted it in Disk Management. However, the Extend Volume option on the primary partition is greyed out, so I am still unable to access the unallocated 24 GB. What must I do to as these 24 GB to my...
  7. Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition: Hi... I noticed that my Recovery Partition is in the same Disk with my Primary Partition. is it gonna cause me a problem if i try to reset my laptop? I think it was supposed to be in a different Disk Partition. . [ATTACH]...
  8. Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?

Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?: Hello, I have my HDD now in MBR format and I tried to convert it to GPT but mbr2gpt didn't work, I get fail to validate disk every time and hence can't convert to GPT. It's OK, but now I divided my HDD into 5 partitions just for more sense to category of files, each in a...
  9. merge primary partitions

merge primary partitions: I have three partitions on this device. I want to merge two of them into one. The partitions are the system restore partition, a Windows 7 boot partition, and a Windows 10 boot partition. [ATTACH] If I select the Windows 7 boot partition ('OS') and try to delete it so...
  10. How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

in Windows 10 Support
    How to convert primary partitions to logical partition: I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which will hold C, D & E as logical partition. How can I do it without loosing data (i don't have a spare hard disk where I can...