Windows 10: Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe?

Discus and support Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I got a laptop that I got my parents for passing my scholarship exam. It's not a lot old, came with default Windows 10 Home of version 1809, with 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CodebreakerSW, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe?

Hi, I got a laptop that I got my parents for passing my scholarship exam. It's not a lot old, came with default Windows 10 Home of version 1809, with 4 GB RAM and a Pentium Gold processor.

I kept it updating, running smoothly and fast, even though it had a ULV processor. It worked fine until,recently, I updated it to the latest feature update, Windows 10 20H2 feature update. It caused a heavy lag on my Laptop, even though it had more than 2 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor, which is the minimum requirement for Windows 10. This lag caused me to wait for 10 minutes to boot the Windows and even more time for the icons on the desktop to load.

I immediately roll back my update, back into 20H1, but actually, even before the 20H2 update, 20H1 is also a bit laggy. So I decided to reinstall the entire Windows 10, version 1903, which seems to be stable on my Laptop. So,what I want to know is whether it is unsafe to run on older Windows 10 versions, and why my Laptop is lagging while it is above the minimum requirements?

I am providing my laptop specifications down below.

Intel Pentium Gold 4415U - 2.30 GHz 2 core, 4 threads

4 GB 2666 MHz RAM

500 GB HDD

Default OS: Windows 10 Home 1809

Stable Update : Windows 10 1903 / 1909

Intel HD 610 Graphics - with 2 GB shared system memory

*I checked it for virus and Malware, there is no presence of Malware or virus Tested by Windows Defender and Eset Internet Security

:)

CodebreakerSW, Jan 10, 2021
  2. aronchick Win User

Stuck in Windows 10 Upgrade

My computer seems to be stuck in a Windows 10 failed upgrade loop. I was running fine on a beta version of Windows 10, and then I came downstairs one morning to see it repeatedly booting, attempting to repair, then rebooting. The steps I've taken to diagnose are:

• Attempting to boot off a USB drive (with all drives disabled in BIOS) - this fails at the point of the blue windows screen
    • Attempting to boot the machine itself and getting into "repair/safe mode" using F7
    • Looking at the BIOS for obvious failures (e.g. RAM that should be there is missing) - nothing obvious is wrong.

I am fairly certain the build version was 9926. For many months, the system would attempt to upgrade, and then say "it failed" for some reason and roll back.

Suggestions for next steps?

aronchick, Jan 10, 2021
  3. New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe?

Upgrade windows 10 version 1803

Hello,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

Suggest you to upgrade directly to latest version i.e. Windows 10 V1809 via ISO file.

Please refer this step-by-step guide:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-upgrade-to-win...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya [Directly], Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe?

1. Is upgrading Windows to the latest version is safe? - Similar Threads - upgrading latest version

2. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10: I have inherited a computer that is about four years old. I have had it switched on for a week doing updates and the OS info page says it is still on version 1803 17134.1304 but the updates it installs are called feature updates to Windows 10 version 22H2. 1. Isn't version...
  3. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10: I have inherited a computer that is about four years old. I have had it switched on for a week doing updates and the OS info page says it is still on version 1803 17134.1304 but the updates it installs are called feature updates to Windows 10 version 22H2. 1. Isn't version...
  4. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to upgrade to the latest version of Windows

Unable to upgrade to the latest version of Windows: My PC is currently running Windows 10, version 1909, which has reached the end of service.When I press "Check for updates" it says "You are up to date".Basically I can't update to the latest version of Windows.I have tried to Troubleshoot> Windows Update. Fixed a couple of...
  6. Unable to Upgrade to latest version

Unable to Upgrade to latest version: Hi,I have been unable to upgrade to the latest Windows Version. My current version is 1803 and OS build 17134.1304The upgrade has frozen at 89% for 3 days. I have tried upgrading through Download Windows 10 microsoft.com but have not had any lucky....
  7. Unable to upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

Unable to upgrade to latest version of Windows 10: I have tried repeatedly to upgrade, without success. I keep getting a message about not having enough storage space despite the fact that I have installed a brand new 124GB SD card to help with the temporary storage needs during the upgrade. I have also deleted all...
  8. Windows 10 upgrading to the latest version

Windows 10 upgrading to the latest version: Today I got a upgrade reminder from Microsoft upgrade center that it was time to upgrade to the latest version of windows 10, OK I was running the upgrade and the next thing I got was a black screen with flashing cursors, no messages about faulty hard drives or anything, I...
  9. Information to upgrade Windows 10 to latest version

Information to upgrade Windows 10 to latest version: I'm using HP Elitebook 8470p. I have 1507 version of windows 10. I want to know that can I upgrade my my windows to 1809 directly using ISO image? Specificaion of my system. Processor: Core i5 3210 RAM: 4gb...
  10. Windows upgrade latest version

Windows upgrade latest version: Windows upgrade will not install. The error messages ask me to remove Avira antivirus. I do not have Avira installed and registry clear shows nothing...