Windows 10: Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation?

Discus and support Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I done a manual upgrade to the Creators Update a few days ago but appear to have a corrupted user profile/s and possibly even a corrupted upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kol12, May 7, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation?

So I done a manual upgrade to the Creators Update a few days ago but appear to have a corrupted user profile/s and possibly even a corrupted upgrade installation.

I'm not sure what to do, I could transfer user files to a new user profile but it may be more trouble than it's worth and I suspect the Windows installation may be corrupted also so could be pointless.

I could clean install version 1703, but is it deemed stable enough? I could also roll the update back or restore the 1603 system image I took before hand. Recommendations? These issues really give me a headache! *Mad

:)

Kol12, May 7, 2017
  2. TonyBwin Win User

win 10 1703 and 1709 updates cause computer to become unusable

I have clean-installed Win 10 v1511, then let 1703 install; PC freezes at 10 minutes. Installed 1709 from MCT ISO; same result.

At this point, v1511 (which reached end of life in Oct 2017) is the only stable Win 10 version for my hardware. I have deferred upgrades in group policy to hopefully postpone changes long enough (8 months) until a version that is stable for my computer
    is released.

Thanks to everyone for their input and guidance.

TonyBwin, May 7, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    It was a mistake to remove direct access to specific Windows 10 ISO versions.

Sorry to disagree with you. I'm a very serious user, and 1703 is very stable for me.

I'll guess that the reason Microsoft doesn't offer standalone ISOs for individual builds is the same reason it makes updates mandatory: so everyone has the most up-to-date version of Windows.

BulldogXX, May 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Since the outcome may depend on your system's configuration, here's an option:

1. Use Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for disk images to image your present system.

2. Try a clean install and see what happens.

3. If you don't like it, restore whichever of your images you prefer.

Otherwise, simply restore 1607, and if you have Pro, defer upgrades, and wait a few months for the dust to settle, and try upgrading again with whatever updates have appeared by then.

dalchina, May 7, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    If you are backed up consider a clean install. I had upgrade problems that were related to inadequate free space in the FAT32 partition. After this was fixed there were corruption problems. These were improved with chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow. A clean install was performed and so far everything is back to normal. There are naturally bugs with upgrades and these require windows updates over time for fixes. Currently dism restore health has a bug and is not working for 1703 but is working for 1607. If you choose 1607 it is unclear when you will receive an unexpected upgrade to 1703. Many people have asked how to prevent upgrades. I came across one link that indicates you can allow downloads and then not allow installation. So you have blocked the upgrade. Currently I am using 1703 in two computers, one had a clean install and then had a problem with net framework that was fixed and the other was upgraded from 1607 to 1703 and has had no problems.

zbook, May 7, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    *Ditto Clean install the AU and Defer feature updates.

If you need to download the Iso file to create an Installer, get it from here.

Choose the Home/Pro edition right below Redstone 1

Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

AddRAM, May 7, 2017
  7. Kol12 Win User
    So right now I'm thinking it might not be a user corruption issue as some of these issues seem to persist over new user profiles as well. Perhaps it was an issue with the upgrade process over my particular configuration. As it doesn't seem to be profile related I guess my options are to roll back and defer updates or clean install 1703. Even if you defer the updates 1703 is going to be inevitable anyway, so maybe clean installing 1703 and baring the issues (if they're still even present with a clean install) might be the better option, then I'm sure what ever issues remain will be fixed with updates. ..

We seem to have conflicts about sticking with 1607 for now or baring with 1703 issues. The way I see it is 1703 will be inevitable anyway, and if issues were that bad Microsoft wouldn't be releasing the update...

I'm a little concerned for the less tech savy out there who may have issues with the upgrade already or are still awaiting it. Surely if issues were this bad Microsoft wouldn't be releasing the upgrade? It would be frustrating for the less tech savy to have to find they need to clean install the latest version after the upgrade behaves strangely...

Kol12, May 7, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

No issues at all with the Creator's Update on the dozen computers on my home network.

NavyLCDR, May 7, 2017
  9. Mystere Win User
    What conflicts? I don't see anyone saying to stay on 1607. I'm not saying there aren't people, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a large number of them.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your issues are being experienced by everyone else, or even a large majority. The vast majority of people simply don't have any issues with upgrades, but there will always be some percentage who have systems that cause issues. I find that many times this is because the user has tried to customize their system in a way that the upgrade wasn't tested with.

Mystere, May 7, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - you rarely see problem posts from somebody running a bog standard laptop. More often self built PCs with fancy nvidea graphics, and people have done regedits etc.

Recently, a person complained that there was a bug in Windows 10 because it would not read both partitions on a 3TB mbr drive (2+1) but claimed Windows 7 did!

Of course, it was possible to read over 2.2TB on an MBR derive in Windows 7 but you had to install special drivers to cheat OS (basically 2 mbrs). Guy was adamant Windows 10 should have handled these drivers failing to understand the world has moved on with UEFI and GPT being the norm now.

cereberus, May 8, 2017
  11. Kol12 Win User
    Upgrades or clean installs?

Kol12, May 8, 2017
  12. Kol12 Win User
    I tend to customize Windows a lot so possibly that's where the issues lie.

The missing icons seem to be common in the CU and probably the most noticeable one, but I think I'm going to clean install which may be easier and more likely to set things straight...

Kol12, May 8, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

There`s no reason to go crazy customizing the CU, not with any 3rd party software anyway.

It`s not a permanent OS, like W7 for example, W10 will forever be evolving.

I would just install your programs and use it, there will be another update sooner or later.

Doing a clean install is always the best option, make sure your data is backed up and give it a try.

Clean Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Download Windows 10

AddRAM, May 8, 2017
  14. Edward Win User
    I didn't make a clean install and I updated Anniversary update and the Creators update, my PC still works fine and fast *Smile

Edward, May 8, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    A clean install should be even more "stable" than update/upgrade would be.

CountMike, May 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation? - Similar Threads - version 1703 stable

2. Is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?: I've a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 13ACN5 and I need to do a clean install to get Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision working again.I want to install Windows 11 but I want to know if it's stable enough for daily use.So is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?...
  3. Is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?: I've a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 13ACN5 and I need to do a clean install to get Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision working again.I want to install Windows 11 but I want to know if it's stable enough for daily use.So is Windows 11 stable enough for daily usage?...
  4. I need a clean installation of the most stable version of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need a clean installation of the most stable version of Windows 10.: I need a clean installation of the most stable version of Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-clean-installation-of-the-most-stable/5da5b07c-d41a-434c-8675-2d14a3c79999
  5. Is windows 10 version 1909 stable enough to allow the update

in Windows 10 Support
    Is windows 10 version 1909 stable enough to allow the update: I have a Dell Latitude E7440 with the i5 processor and 256gb ssd drive with 8gb of ram, it is running windows 10 pro version 1903 just fine and is very fast. my question is, is windows 10 pro version 1909 stable enough to allow the update yet? I really do not want to have to...
  6. Is W10 1903 stable enough to replace 1809?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is W10 1903 stable enough to replace 1809?: Intel support advised me that I may have to (re)install Windows because of a problem between Windows and Intel's latest Intel video drivers for my chipset. I am using now 1809 and it was very stable for me, so I am asking if there are any issues with 1903. With either version...
  7. [W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt: ...and most items from the taskbar context menu (from programs) mainly File Explorer. I'm also having the DISM issue like most 1703-ers. Initially I updated to 1703 from 16xx and programs I was previously using began to fail so I rolled back, and was met with a...
  8. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...
  9. Stuck on version 1703

Stuck on version 1703: Hello! I am new here and thank you for any support. Well, my Windows 10 is stucked on version 1703 build 15063.138 and as an Insider I've receiving the updates but it always fail. Right now it tried to install Windows 10 Insider Preview 16179.1000 (rs_prerelease) but...
  10. Is Windows 10 stable enough for main desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 10 stable enough for main desktop?: Windows 10 Preview has been out for a couple of weeks now and I'm sure its had a few updates since release. Would you guys think its stable enough to be used on main desktop without too many issues? What about drivers, are companies beginning to release them? I am...