Windows 10: IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW...

Discus and support IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently I just updated my laptop with Windows 10 1909 clean installation on C:\ while I have 3 partition on my HDD; i.e C:windowOS , D: , E: but 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AkshayMAc, May 7, 2020.

1. AkshayMAc Win User

IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW...

Recently I just updated my laptop with Windows 10 1909 clean installation on C:\

while I have 3 partition on my HDD; i.e C:windowOS , D: , E:

but 2 days ago while I was doing my daily work it suddenly crashed to BSoD

[ BSoD error was

>>critcal_process_failed

>>incorrect_sysconfig

ps : these error code are not accurate but are what I remember].

and later system booted to Dell Support Assist and displayed the errorHard Disk not installed

OS was not bootable as it keep starting up to Automatic Diagnostic and keep crashing to BSoD.

After troubleshooting the problem myself I found that:

1. All other partition i.e D: and E: drive wereconverted to RAW FileSystem

2. C:\ was only accessible till C:\windows\ no further access.

3. D: and E: are inaccessible no properties information and anything

4. I am not sure but its like only read-only file system on all drive.

[ toubleshoting I did was chkdsk in command prompt in advance startup]

Conclusion: I think this happened because of FAST-STARTUP in advanced power-option or some paging fault on other partition

not sure tho.

I used Linux live boot and somehow, I was able to access theE: partition and its files

but as I proceeded to mount the D: partition the mounted E: became inaccessible ; no luck with C: too

TL;DR I think windows update crashed my HDD to RAW filesystem.

:)

AkshayMAc, May 7, 2020
  2. tf2029 Win User

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, May 7, 2020
  3. How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Please try the below steps to convert the RAW partition to NTFS partition.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• At the command prompt, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter. For example,
      convert E: /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS format.

• Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes in the
      Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives
    Notes: After you convert a partition to NTFS, you cannot convert it back. If you want to use the FAT file system on the partition again, you will need to reformat the partition, which erases all data on it.

Although the chance of corruption or data loss during a conversion is minimal, you should back up all data on the partition before you begin.

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 7, 2020
  4. IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW...

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, May 7, 2020
Thema:

IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW...

1. IS windows 10 1909 latest update making HDD partitions unusable converts FS to RAW... - Similar Threads - 1909 latest update

2. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  3. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  4. Latest update makes keyboard and mouse unusable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latest update makes keyboard and mouse unusable.: After the latest update to Windows, my keyboard and mouse do not work on the log-in screen and I have no access to my computer. The only thing that worked was a fresh reinstall, but it updated again and the same problem arose. What is causing this and how am I supposed to...
  5. Latest update To FS 2020

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Latest update To FS 2020: After starting FS, I was prompted to update, so I start the process get an error message and that's it. Had the same problem with the first update and I finished having to redownload all of the sim again! When i go to the store now it says the sim is installed and that's...
  6. The latest update for Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The latest update for Windows 10 1909: I updated my laptop from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and after the update after 2 years ran the update last night now I'm having this problem.. When I go to Activate Windows I'm getting an Error Code: 0X803F7001 That they can't reactivate my device because they can't find my...
  7. After the latest 1909 update my PC mouse is unusable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After the latest 1909 update my PC mouse is unusable.: I did a clean install to get 1909 too. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? submitted by /u/freedom2244 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eoz587/after_the_latest_1909_update_my_pc_mouse_is/
  8. OEM partition got converted to RAW file system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM partition got converted to RAW file system: Hello everybody, I have a problem with my OEM partition and another one because they converted to RAW file system. As we can see in the photo below I have 2 RAW partitions, the second one is the important one because it is an OEM partition. How can I fix this? Or I should...
  9. Windows C partition got converted to RAW issue

Windows C partition got converted to RAW issue: Hi All May be somebody can help me recover my bootable drive. I don't know if this M.2 SSD gong bad or not. All tests from Dell ran fine with no hardware issues. I have Dell M6800 with M.2 SSD and secondary 1tb regular drive. The system is using uefi in the BIOS. This...
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update system partition raw