Windows 10: Is Windows 10 a perpetual beta?

Discus and support Is Windows 10 a perpetual beta? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is Windows 10 a perpetual beta? Source 1 MICROSOFT WILL RELEASE the RTM edition of Windows 10 to its partners later this week, according to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Jul 8, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Is Windows 10 a perpetual beta?

Source 1

Source 2

If windows 10 is perpetual beta for the General Release, would financial transaction be safer or riskier then windows 8.1 or 7? I do some online shopping not much though but I do pay some of my bills online.

:)

groze, Jul 8, 2015

2. Is the new win 10 upgrade a perpetual beta or is it a full upgrade?

* Original Title: Win 10 Upgrade

I know this question has been beaten to death, but I need to know. Is the new win 10 upgrade a perpetual beta or is it a full upgrade. I've heard it's a forever beta.

FrankMaximchuk, Jul 8, 2015
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Is the new win 10 upgrade a perpetual beta or is it a full upgrade?

If you're in the Insider program running the preview version at the time the RTM version is released, you will remain in the Insider program and it will be, as you put it, a perpetual beta. On the other hand, if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1, it will be
    a full version, no strings attached.

JimWynne, Jul 8, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

Your financial info will likely be fine. It's stuff like system stability/bugs that those articles refer to.

bromanbro, Jul 8, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Yes and no. If you're a Windows Insider, then yes. If you're just using the released version, then no.

The general public will only get "release quality" builds from time to time, while Insiders will get regular beta builds every so often. They only get to the general public after they have been vetted by the insiders.

Mystere, Jul 8, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    So, is being an insider on the slow ring like being a general public user on steroids?
    For instance, which of the recent flurry of releases - 10158, 10159, and 10162 - got to be released to the slow trackers, if any?

Fafhrd, Jul 8, 2015
  7. Chuck38 Win User
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe only build 10162 has made it to the slow ring.

Well, I know for a fact that build 10162 made it. I'm just not sure about the other builds.

Chuck38, Jul 8, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Android which Billions of people use every day on their phones is a "Perpetual Beta" being updated and re-released continuously. People don't have problems running financial transactions on that platform.

Windows 10 will probably operate like that - new builds appearing rather than "Service packs". The advantage with new builds is that people will be able to start / update from KNOWN sources. The problem with the "Classical" way of discrete updates and service packs is that very machine could have a different set of updates and base system on it.

An interesting point though --if you opt to continue to receive Insider builds - does that mean so long as you are prepared to regularly update will Windows 10 be FREE to these users.

The current build expires on Oct 02 2015 so I'd imagine the next set of insider builds will last beyond that. Ms I'm sure wont make you STOP testing before releasing a new build.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 8, 2015
  9. bromanbro Win User
    There's no guarantee that MS won't suddenly halt the Insider Program. Thus it's better to have a "stable" Windows on another partition, whether it be 7/8/10.

bromanbro, Jul 8, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    When the GA comes out on the 29th you will be just as safe using it for financial transaction as Win7/WIn8.1.

BunnyJ, Jul 8, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    Or as unsafe, it's mostly up to user how safe he/she/it may be, do an unsafe thing and you'll be just as bad off as on the street, bank or wherever. No OS or anybody can save you from your own stupidity or anybody hell bent to do you harm.

CountMike, Jul 8, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    SO true.. poor passwords etc will get you every time.

BunnyJ, Jul 8, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

I's not only passwords, many do not think twice about posting let's say pictures of the place they live and when going for a vacation. Using some pictures there are services that can match them with location and/or exacts address and that's just one thing. On FB I have seen pictures of passports and other personal documents !!!
    There are many "surveys" online that ask innocent looking questions but in mean time pick up more information than you could remember yourself. Got to remember one thing, what ever gets on internet, stays there.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Windows 10 a perpetual beta? - Similar Threads - perpetual beta

2. PC stuck on perpetual loading screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC stuck on perpetual loading screen: PC stuck on loading screen helpHi, I've had my computer for the past 7 months. I had never encountered such issues before. I am currently stuck on the loading screen, the only option I have is to enter UEFI and BIOS, even then, it will put me on a perpetual "preparing...
  3. PC stuck on perpetual loading screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC stuck on perpetual loading screen: PC stuck on loading screen helpHi, I've had my computer for the past 7 months. I had never encountered such issues before. I am currently stuck on the loading screen, the only option I have is to enter UEFI and BIOS, even then, it will put me on a perpetual "preparing...
  4. Hello, does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hello, does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license?: Hello,Does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-does-windows-1011-enterprise-for-commercial/63ba1a79-ab9d-4e54-8472-968b8a51c811
  5. Hello, does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license?: Hello,Does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-does-windows-1011-enterprise-for-commercial/63ba1a79-ab9d-4e54-8472-968b8a51c811
  6. Hello, does windows 10/11 enterprise for commercial have perpetual license?

7. In a recent update my perpetual licenses are gone and my sticky notes are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In a recent update my perpetual licenses are gone and my sticky notes are gone: In a recent Microsoft update my perpetual licenses of Word and Excel are gone. I understand these were being phased out, but ALL of my vital STICKY notes are gone. Help how can I get then back....
  8. In a recent update my perpetual licenses are gone and my sticky notes are gone

In a recent update my perpetual licenses are gone and my sticky notes are gone: In a recent Microsoft update my perpetual licenses of Word and Excel are gone. I understand these were being phased out, but ALL of my vital STICKY notes are gone. Help how can I get then back....
  9. In a recent update my perpetual licenses are gone and my sticky notes are gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Windows 10 in perpetual Beta testing mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 in perpetual Beta testing mode: I think Windows 10 and Edge should not have been released to the public. With constant new builds being put out, it makes me feel like I am still in the Insider Program going through each new build. It is as though Windows 10 is in a perpetual beta testing mode. The update...