Windows 10: Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk?

Discus and support Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am about to buy a used pc with installed Windows. Is it a security risk to just do a factory reset from the windows 10 settings or should I rather... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/steht, Nov 12, 2019.

1. /u/steht Win User

Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk?

I am about to buy a used pc with installed Windows. Is it a security risk to just do a factory reset from the windows 10 settings or should I rather format the ssd and reinstall Windows from a usb drive or something? Is it possible for a malicious seller to tamper the previous installation so that malware stays intact even after the factory reset or does factory reset essentially do the same thing as just installing a fresh copy from a usb drive?

submitted by /u/steht
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/steht, Nov 12, 2019
  2. AndreePin Win User

Windows 10 factory reset

Hi Charlie,

We can see here that you are having issues with doing a factory reset on your Windows 10. There are several factors
    why you get the said error and that's what we are going to figure out. To isolate this concern, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to perform a factory reset?
    • Did you experience any issues on the computer before you tried performing a factory reset?

AndreePin, Nov 12, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Is windsows 7 a security risk?

There is 2 security risks. No one can stop security holes even more so with MS software as it would be more targeted although Linux has got to be going up on that list to now.

1. Your comp being online
    2. The user

AsRock, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk?

Reset to factory settings

No I love Windows 10.....but my computer was acting strange so I thought I would do a factory reset and put Windows 10 back onto my computer.

If I do create a bootable Windows 10 would I lose the recover drive information that comes with the computer?

Could you give me the steps to create a bootable of Windows 10.....I asked HP if there was anyway I could get Windows 10 put on it while they had it and they said no.

Thank you.

jeanniespc, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk?

1. Is Windows 10 factory reset after buying a computer a security risk? - Similar Threads - factory reset buying

2. Windows 10 password security risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 password security risk: Is there truth to the 9/18/2021 story in FORBES in which Davey Winder the writer recommends Windows 10 users "delete their [Windows 10] passwords" due to a security risk?...
  3. Computer running differently after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer running differently after Factory Reset: Recently I was forced to preform a factory reset on my laptop after a blue screen error involving a Windows 10 update. Fortunately I was able to salvage all of my personal files but now my laptop doesn't run as smoothly as it did prior to the reset. Applications I've had to...
  4. Can't use computer after factory reset

Can't use computer after factory reset: After my mom corrupted the hard drive of my computer I had to factory reset(I've done both limited and full multiple times to try and fix the issues) my laptop. Since then I can't use it. I can't open apps(including edge, the store, and almost all other settings and Microsoft...
  5. Computer stuck in a loop after factory reset

Computer stuck in a loop after factory reset: So I factory reset my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 because I want to give it as a gift to my younger brother. Now its stuck on a loop of restarting. It starts when i get to this screen [IMG]after I click next it goes to this[IMG]which causes it to go to a loadin page that says just...
  6. Factory Reset Windows 10 Computer after selling.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset Windows 10 Computer after selling.: I have sold my computer, but have forgotten to fully reset it as I was rushing. Is there any way to do this as you would a phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-windows-10-computer-after-selling/14776421-7532-4578-9bdf-bd5b01dbd486
  7. Windows 10 WiFi security risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 WiFi security risk: When my laptop is powered on, before I enter my password to login, there is a WiFi icon displayed on the login screen. Can I can connect to a router without logging into my computer? Doesn't this present a security risk? If someone steals my laptop and logs into their...
  8. Computer will not boot after performing a factory reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer will not boot after performing a factory reset.: Hello: Just recently I performed a factory reset to a family member's computer. After it shut down to boot back once on the computer would give message more or less like: "Your computer shut down unexpectedly, press ok to restart your computer". -pressed ok- the story...
  9. Resetting computer to factory defaults with Windows 10

Resetting computer to factory defaults with Windows 10: My computer came with no disks. It is so slow and wont let me do what I need to do and I want to reset it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/resetting-computer-to-factory-defaults-with/97b156be-ae08-4bf4-a744-a3cd0ec43e93
  10. Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10: How to: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 How to Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a...