Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison

Discus and support Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows 10 free upgrade: five questions answered | Technology | The Guardian "I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheBlackRussian, Jul 29, 2015.

1. TheBlackRussian Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 free upgrade: five questions answered | Technology | The Guardian

"I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? AlasdairNo, that’s completely wrong. Once you have installed Windows 10 and made a note of your product key, it’s yours forever. Well, you can use it until Microsoftstops supporting it, which is usually 10 years."

:)

TheBlackRussian, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa Win User

Is Windows 10 only free for the first year.

Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users.

[​IMG]

Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10.
    Once you upgrade, its yours forever at no additional cost. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    at no additional charge.

Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Andre Da Costa, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Dilligaf6582 Win User
    Is Windows 10 only free for the first year.

Original Title: Any Hidden Fees?

I read that windows 10 is only free for the first year. is this true?

Dilligaf6582, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Atomic77 Win User

Yeah once you get windows 10 it is yours for the life of the product. The only time its not free is if you want to upgrade after the year is up if you have not upgraded before hand.

Atomic77, Nov 14, 2015
  5. Porthos Win User
    It is for the "life of the device". You do not get a reusable key it is tied to the device on Microsoft's servers and is no longer valid when your device (motherboard) dies.

Porthos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison - Similar Threads - free free upgrade

1. New to these Forums, some issues with recent free Win 10 Pro upgrade

in Browsers and Email
    New to these Forums, some issues with recent free Win 10 Pro upgrade: Win 10 Pro 64bit free upgrade. On New years eve, after many, many months of resisting, I finally upgraded my home build PC Win 7, Ultimate OS, ( retail ), using the free Win 10 OS ISO. After two failed long attempts to keep all my files and apps from the old OS during...
  2. Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 8 Dell with free upgrade to 10. BSOD and drive errors: I have a Dell that was originally a Win 8 and did the free upgrade to 10. Computer has been lagging and hanging for past couple of weeks. Now I get the BSOD intermittently. In the Win notices I am getting notice for drive errors and also requests to run drive scan and fix...
  3. Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued?: A while back I upgraded from Home to Pro via a selection on the Update (or thereabouts) screen on my wife's PC. If I sign in to her MS account, the details on her screen show Pro installed. However, if I check her System screen on the PC it shows Home as being installed. I...
  4. Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free?

Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free?: Hello, I am new to this forum and a novice user of computers. I recently purchased a new PC. My old PC was running Windows 10 Pro, which I got from Microsoft when they were giving it away for free. My new PC came with Windows 10 home edition installed on it. I want to...
  5. Dec 31, 2017 Deadline free win 7 to Win 10 upgrade approaching

Dec 31, 2017 Deadline free win 7 to Win 10 upgrade approaching: For all those that were not aware the deadline is soon approaching (December 31, 2017) for the last free upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users Microsoft: Final Free Windows 10 Upgrade Offer Ends Dec. 31 | News & Opinion...
  6. Free W10 upgrade

Free W10 upgrade: Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and I'm not talking out of my @$$. I didn't like how much slower it was when it was appified so I ripped it out by the roots and...
  7. Free Windows 10 Upgrade for assistive technologies ends Jan. 16, 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Upgrade for assistive technologies ends Jan. 16, 2018: If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies. Please take advantage of this offer before it expires on January 16, 2018. (extended...