Windows 10: Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered?

Discus and support Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've recently configured my Apple Mac Pro to dual-boot with Windows 10. I'd done this a couple of times before (with a Mac Mini + Win7) and in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by johne53, Apr 27, 2019.

1. johne53 Win User

Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered?

I've recently configured my Apple Mac Pro to dual-boot with Windows 10. I'd done this a couple of times before (with a Mac Mini + Win7) and in the past it all went pretty smoothly. The Mac Pro is a much more powerful machine and offers AMD FirePro D300 GPUs (Display Adapters). And the D300 is pretty powerful too (or so I thought...) Its 'Properties' window shows me a wide range of display modes and refresh rates - all of which apparently support 32-bit colour.

Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered? e0c64ea3-4216-4d26-aa1d-18ef94e2dfb8?upload=true.png

BUT... no matter which setting I choose in the Properties dialog, Windows itself invariably reports only 8-bit colours - and to my eyes, the colour palette definitely does look a bit limited. Is this a bug in Windows 10 or is it something to do with the fact that Win10 isn't registered yet on my system? It's genuine Microsoft - but the poor colour performance is the main reason I haven't registered yet.

Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered? a037ca23-ac53-42b9-bba7-eefc6540f96b?upload=true.png

:)

johne53, Apr 27, 2019

2. 256 colour

I have a CD-ROM that requires 256 colour that I very much want to keep usable, is there any way I can change to/use/get 256 in Windows 10 to enable me to run this program?

PhilipHyne, Apr 27, 2019
  3. 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Guys, does the 256 character limit still exist on Windows 10?

I love organizing my folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and organizing everything deeply, and I always had the 256 character limit as a major pain in the ass, forcing me to shorten folder names and stuff and waste time.

Does that limitation still exist in Windows 10?

Thanks

RealJustMe, Apr 27, 2019
  4. V.R.Rao Win User

256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

Hi friends,

I love organizing my folder and sub-folder but when I am trying to do it shows this 256 Character Limit.

Its irritating.

I was earlier told that it doesn't exist now. But now I am facing it and the news was negative.

Kindly suggest me how to resolve it?

V.R.Rao, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Is Windows 10 limited to 256 colours while unregistered? - Similar Threads - limited 256 colours

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Max path of 256 characters.: I have tried again today to lift this restriction on Windows, but to no avail. None of the two methods posted here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation seems to be working. neither the method through the gpedit tool. Is...
  5. Windows 10 2004, SHA-256 list

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 2004, SHA-256 list: Downloaded the Windows 10 2004.iso but would like to check the SHA256 with a Microsoft published list. Does anyone know where I can find it? At this point I don't know the build number. Haven't installed yet on an USB, and my desktop didn't qualify for an update yet in the...
  6. Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?: It might sound like a silly question, but clearly I'm not getting something. I've enabled 256-bit encryption in group policy settings and encrypted a drive.manage-bde -status says Encryption Method: XTS-AES 256. But the recovery key is still 48 digits long. Since every sixth...
  7. Colour Calibrator Reverting While Performing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Colour Calibrator Reverting While Performing: Hello, I have a dual monitor setup, with mismatched monitors. Last time I calibrated my displays was a year ago, and I still have the same hardware. Now when I try to use the Display Color Calibration it only previews the present set of changes for a flash before...
  8. WINDOWS 10 COLOUR

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 COLOUR: How do I change colour to default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/windows-10-colour/39e8c208-5804-4470-a9b2-2d6aa1f998ee
  9. Unregister Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unregister Update: OK, Windows has been bugging me for days about upgrading. I keep rolling the time for another couple days. Not quite sure that I want to upgrade right now. I want to wait for a few months to see what problems others have and see what the fixes are. I followed the tutorial:...
  10. 256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    256 Character Limit still exists on Windows 10?: Guys, does the 256 character limit still exist on Windows 10? I love organizing my folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and organizing everything deeply, and I always had the 256 character limit as a major pain in the ass, forcing me to shorten folder names and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unregistered windows 10 256 color