Windows 10: Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival?

Discus and support Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft lifted the veil on the next version of its Windows operating system this week. One of the main features of Windows 11 is support for Android... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 26, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival?

Microsoft lifted the veil on the next version of its Windows operating system this week. One of the main features of Windows 11 is support for Android applications. Microsoft did not reveal much about the support, only that the operating system would offer applications from Amazon's App Store.

A Microsoft employee revealed on Twitter that sideloading would be supported as well, but details on the process have not been revealed yet. Microsoft has not confirmed the fact officially yet.

Sideloading refers to the installation of applications directly, without using a Store to do so.

Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival? amazon-app-store-windows-11.png

Amazon's App Store offers a large collection of Android apps and games, but not as much as Google Play, the store that is installed on pretty much all Android devices outside of China.

PC Magazine believes that the Microsoft's Android App Plan is doomed, but is that really the case? The main argument for the theory is that Amazon's App Store offering is not as extensive as that of Google Play. While it does offer apps and games that are not available on the Microsoft Store, it is not offering a complete catalog of Android apps. Major games like Genshin Impact or apps such as Signal or Slack, are not available in the Amazon App Store.

Developers and publishers could push their apps to the Store as integration in Windows 11 could reach a wider audience because of that, but the author does not think that this is going to happen. Microsoft's own Store has over a billion potential users, but many publishers of major applications have not released apps for the Store.

What PC Magazine fails to take into account is that applications and games don't need to be ported to be published on the Amazon App Store. The Android app does not need to be modified, and it takes just a couple of minutes to upload the application, add images and media, and text. Since it is a straightforward process, developers might be inclined to give it a try, especially since the uploaded apps and games have the potential of reaching Amazon's and Microsoft's customer base once Windows 11 is released.

Experienced users may sideload applications. Apps and games may be downloaded from third-party sources, e.g. the project's website on GitHub, to install them directly on a device. Whether it will be possible to install Google apps on Windows 11 remains to be seen.

Closing Words

Android apps on Windows 11 open up new possibilities for Microsoft and users of the operating system. Apps and games that are popular on Android but not available on the Microsoft Store may be installed, provided that they are offered on the Amazon App Store or can be sideloaded.

Whether the integration remains a niche feature or not depends largely on how it is presented to users. Microsoft could integrate search results in Windows Search, the Microsoft Store, or its search engine Bing, to highlight the availability of apps in Amazon's App Store that can be installed on the device.

If the App store is just installed but not highlighted, it is likely that it won't become very popular. In this case, Amazon's App Store on Windows 11 could be as dead on arrival as Windows 10's Microsoft Store.

Now You: what is your take on Android apps on Windows 11?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 26, 2021
  2. farlex85 Win User

Remote app for android

I recently traded in my iphone for an android, and just realized that hippo remote is iphone only. I'm looking for a similar app for android so I can use it as a remote for my htpc. Any suggestions?

farlex85, Jun 26, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    New features arrive in the Xbox Beta app

Source:
    New features arrive in the Xbox Beta app | Windows Experience Blog

Brink, Jun 26, 2021
  4. t_ski Win User

$.10 android apps

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet, but they have $.10 (yes, 10 cents) android apps on the Android Market to celebrate 10 BILLION downloads. So far I've picked up Tetris, Need for Speed Shift, SoundHound amd ADWLauncher EX. There were several other games that were listed, including ones too good for my phone *Frown Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival? :(

t_ski, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Is Windows 11's Android Apps feature dead on arrival? - Similar Threads - 11's Android Apps

2. windows 11 app for android

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 app for android: The Microsoft 365 App for Android is pretty limited. Will Microsoft develope a windows 11 App for Android?My Samsung phone has as much capacity and capability as my Surface and with the use of DeX could this be an option?This would be useful for those on the move who use a...
  3. windows 11 app for android

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 app for android: The Microsoft 365 App for Android is pretty limited. Will Microsoft develope a windows 11 App for Android?My Samsung phone has as much capacity and capability as my Surface and with the use of DeX could this be an option?This would be useful for those on the move who use a...
  4. Android apps on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Android apps on Windows 11: I've recently updated my OS to windows 11 pro and wondered if Microsoft has presented the android support feature in the initial stable version. Couldn't find out much out of a web search either, except that the only supportable android apps will be the ones downloaded from...
  5. Android apps on Windows 11

Android apps on Windows 11: I've recently updated my OS to windows 11 pro and wondered if Microsoft has presented the android support feature in the initial stable version. Couldn't find out much out of a web search either, except that the only supportable android apps will be the ones downloaded from...
  6. New HDD possibly Dead On Arrival.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New HDD possibly Dead On Arrival.: I don't know if this is the right sub for this question, so please direct me to the right place if it's not. I bought an internal 6 TB IronWolf HDD for my family's Windows 10 computer. I ordered it from Newegg with fast processing and 2-day shipping. It arrived today and I...
  7. Hands-on with Windows 10’s Android phone calling feature

in Windows 10 News
    Hands-on with Windows 10’s Android phone calling feature: Microsoft first announced Your Phone app at its Build 2018 conference and the app is now getting a new feature for more deeply integrating Windows 10 PCs with Android phones. Your Phone app for Windows 10 currently allows you to send and receive text messages, view battery...
  8. HDMI 5.1 audio dead on arrival

HDMI 5.1 audio dead on arrival: I have a problem. I bought a 5.1 channel HDMI-to-RCA converter so I could decode HDMI and plug the channels (RCA jacks) into 3 stereo amplifiers I have kicking around. I seek joy but have not found it. Driver auto-installed when unit plugged in for the 1st time (USB that I...
  9. Windows 10's Set feature is Dead, it appears

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10's Set feature is Dead, it appears: Remember the Sets feature that Microsoft revealed back in 2018 and even included in some Insider Builds back then? That feature seems to be dead and buried even though you find conflicting reports right now on the Internet. Microsoft designed Sets as a way for Windows 10...
  10. Windows 10’s Nearby Share feature is coming to Android and iOS

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s Nearby Share feature is coming to Android and iOS: Microsoft recently announced Windows 10 April 2018 Update with a lot of new features and improvements. The Nearby Share is one of the exciting features in Windows 10 April 2018 Update which appears to be part of Microsoft’s cross-platform strategy. Nearby Share in Windows 10...