Windows 10: Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10?

Discus and support Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, First post here. I installed Windows 10 last week but just now I returned to Windows 7. There are some things I don't feel comfortable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leandro, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Leandro Win User

Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10?

Hi everyone,
    First post here.

I installed Windows 10 last week but just now I returned to Windows 7. There are some things I don't feel comfortable about Windows 10 just yet. (regarding privacy and compatibility). I'll give it some time until it 'mature' a little.

Now my question is about font rendering.
    I use a regular LCD monitor 24" + nvidia geforce card. In Windows 7 fonts are sharp and neat.
    Is only me or anybody else found font rendering in Windows 10 no as quite good as in Windows 7?

:)

Leandro, Aug 5, 2015

2. Blurry Context Menus and other features after upgrade to 10586

UPDATE 2016-08-11: the issue with font smoothing illustrated in the screenshot below was apparently fixed in

KB3176495
    . Thank you Microsoft! Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10? :)

But the issue with font rendering on multiple displays using different scaling remains. I'll update this post with a screenshot to better illustrate the problem.

===

There are a lot of things wrong with how Windows 10 renders fonts.

First of all, if I turn off cleartype and disable font smoothing, that means that I really want pixel fonts without smoothing. And this is what I get after the anniversary update:

Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10? [​IMG]

How many different font renderers can you count in this single screenshot?

To me, this is unusable.

And, since I'm already ranting: try using Windows 10 with two monitors - primary one (1920x1080, 14") set to 150% scaling, and secondary (2560x1440, 24") set to 100%. Now look at the messed up font rendering on the other monitor.

It would be really great if Microsoft would fix this.

Just so we're clear: my eyesight isn't that bad, but because I've got astigmatism, it's way easier for me to read pixel fonts.

Bruno Babic, Aug 5, 2015
  3. AliJbear Win User
    Font rendering in Windows 10

Hi All,

One of themain reasons I find Windows 10 a major step backwards is the quality of font rendering.

After doing plenty of research - and using the magnifier tool - it obvious that a different rendering process is being used compared to Windows 7, which universally used 'colour smoothing' for ClearType. However, in W10, some fonts are 'monochrome smoothed'
    while others are 'colour smoothed'. (use the magnifier to see what I mean) The mono-smoothed characters are FAR less readable than those with colour processing. Apparently this is defended for the reason that colour-smoothing cannot give consistent results
    on 'some rotated displays' because of the arrangement of the pixels in the display panel. Fine, but at least give us the option of controlling the rendering strategy for desktop/laptop use. And, if there IS a problem with colour-smoothing, then why is it still
    used in some places and not others? The areas that are mono-smoothed tend to be the content - such that it gives me fatigue and eyestrain. The better colour-smoothing seems to be reserved for menus and informational areas. Maybe this is by design to stop me
    using my PC for too long?

Is it possible to change the smoothing process that is applied to content fonts? Obviously, this processing is avaialble because it's there in other areas...

Thanks, Alibear

AliJbear, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10?

Its just you. The font rendering in Windows 10 is the same as it was in Windows 7 nothing has changed. The only thing that would affect the font rendering of Windows 10 is your settings.

logicearth, Aug 5, 2015
  5. slyphnier Win User
    when first time i boot to win10, i feel the font slight different to win7
    the font family/type still same, but the size? is bit different, it feel more thin?
    other than that i didnt find any different in term sharpness&neatness

slyphnier, Aug 6, 2015
  6. No it is not just you.
    Same experience here and I, too, got fed up with this and other bugs so I went back to win7 until microsoft gets around to fixing things.

icemankent, Aug 6, 2015
  7. mrpumpkin Win User
    There are two things going on here possibly that I am aware of, one is using an AMD apu, and there have been issues. The other is scaling on high DPI monitors and HDTV's. Here is a link that covers this.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

In settings, under System/display/ you can slide the change app text etc slider up. Windows 10 should detect what is a reasonable range and flash "recommended." 100% is the norm but on high DPI displays a higher value is needed. adjusting the scaling up helps as well. Actually, it's a dramatic difference.

mrpumpkin, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Leandro Win User

Thanks pumpkin.
    I tried these DPI font scalling before. It kind messes up with the layout. As other windows elements won't follow the scale set (borders, menus, command buttons, sizes) it then makes things out of proportion. Setting that you'll have a large text inside small elements.
    But i never tried that on w10. I'll do that on the next time I install it.

Thanks!

Leandro, Aug 6, 2015
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    Hope it works. I would also go through the "clear type text" calibration which is also under advanced display settings. It can help with the fuzzies as well. (Before and after scaling tweaks)

mrpumpkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10? - Similar Threads - font rendering better

2. 7 Is better than 10 for downloading Screen Savers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    7 Is better than 10 for downloading Screen Savers: How do I access collage of Windows screen saving pictures using Google or Wave browser? Windows 7 Home Edition is better than OS 10 right now....
  3. 7 Is better than 10 for downloading Screen Savers

in Windows 10 Customization
    7 Is better than 10 for downloading Screen Savers: How do I access collage of Windows screen saving pictures using Google or Wave browser? Windows 7 Home Edition is better than OS 10 right now....
  4. 7 Is better than 10 for downloading Screen Savers

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. is Windows 10 better than 11 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is Windows 10 better than 11 ?: I have read that the percentage of windows 10 users that have switched to 11 is very small. Why is this ? I made the switch and every time there is an update to 11 I get problems like being unable to get back on the internet. I see no benefit in 11 and much preferred the...
  6. is Windows 10 better than 11 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is Windows 10 better than 11 ?: I have read that the percentage of windows 10 users that have switched to 11 is very small. Why is this ? I made the switch and every time there is an update to 11 I get problems like being unable to get back on the internet. I see no benefit in 11 and much preferred the...
  7. Is windows 10 better and faster than windows 7 for website

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is windows 10 better and faster than windows 7 for website: I am running a website alltechnologytrend , whenever I open many tabs then my computer stop working I want to ask you this is because l load of website or should I upgrade window of my laptop....
  8. Font rendering...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Font rendering...: Hey all. I spend the day working on my retina MacBook Pro after quite some time away working on Windows. My XPS has a 4k display and the fonts look horrendous. I mean, they are so thin and they truly disappear as they lack definition. I tried something called MacType which...
  9. is windows 11 better than windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is windows 11 better than windows 10: hi, is windows 11 better than windows 10. thanks. 150094
  10. IS better windows 10 or windows 7??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    IS better windows 10 or windows 7??: is better windows 10 or windows 7 i have 4 gb but i want to know for 2gb so........ is better 10 or 7 for 2gb. Thanks.*Smile*Smile 84277

Users found this page by searching for:

1. better windows fonts render for windows 10

2. windows 10 better font rendering