Windows 10: Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

Discus and support Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I google what Windows Defender is, it's sometimes referred to as an anti-spyware program, and other times it's called an anti-virus program. Is it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Delly10, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Delly10 Win User

Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

When I google what Windows Defender is, it's sometimes referred to as an anti-spyware program, and other times it's called an anti-virus program. Is it both? And is it good enough to use it instead of also getting something like Avast as an anti-virus?
    I would hope that Defender would be best since it is made by Microsoft, which also makes Windows. They would be most likely to know their system the best and how to protect it, right?

:)

Delly10, Aug 24, 2019

2. Can't turn on Windows Defender, message that another AV program is running

I only have windows defender on my computer. It still says that another AV program is running and I cannot turn on window defender's AV.

Any suggestions??

Matt

Original title: windows defender

Matt_H_2000, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Le Boule Win User
    3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in Windows Defender

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

Windows Bit Defender will not turn on "Handled by another AV Program

Windows 10 Pro v 1606 Build 14393.693

I had Bitdefender installed and uninstalled it with their uninstall tool.

Then I ran CCleaner and fixed all registry errors AND manually deleted all left over folders/files from Bitdefender

AND I edited the registry and deleted any Bitdefender hits

I STILL get the Note (In Windows defender) Handled by another AV Program.

When I click turn on it opens up Control Panel "Apps and features".

But there does not seem to be any default AV app setting and there are no AV programs in the list of all programs

I have looked over every post on this topic I can find and nothing works for me!

CharlesAlexander, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

1. Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough? - Similar Threads - Defender program enough

2. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows defender enough: Is windows defender enough for me cuz i game and i some time install cracked softwares https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough/608c1720-42d6-49f1-a355-a6217e373108
  3. Is Windows Defender enough?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Windows Defender enough?: Just Remaining 5 days of my ESET subscription..... I am thinking of just using Microsoft Defender on my surface Pro device..... So I want to ask Is defender enough for WIN 10 as many other AV programs drains Battery....so I thought defender would be a great option and light...
  4. Windows Defender AV not disabling

Windows Defender AV not disabling: I work for a MSP, and our client has Cylance. For some reason, Windows Defender AV will not disable. Endpoints in question: Windows 10 Pro, domain joined Domain functional level: Windows Server 2012 R2 My first attempt was to configure a domain GPO: Computer...
  5. Defender AV Scan

Defender AV Scan: I know we don't have access to what a quick scan does on a consistent basis, but is there a way of retroactively seeing what was included in said scan? Log files, .cab, etc.? And were would those be located/ what is the preferred way of reading those? Thank you!...
  6. Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs

Microsoft Defender and Third Part AV Programs: I have a new pc with Windows 10. Checking out AV options. Trying to work out whether Microsoft Defender is comprehensive enough for current threats, or whether to supplement with third party AV if that’s possible without disabling Defender. A technician told me that Defender...
  7. Windows defender AV is gone..

Windows defender AV is gone..: Suddenly defender AV is gone - it doesn't appear in the security at glance menu. As if it is not installed. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-av-is-gone/125fbdb3-a6c2-48d2-a9c2-c6ce012c35e3
  8. Is Windows Defender enough?

Is Windows Defender enough?: I don't mind purchasing additional AV or malware protection if it's needed. I just bought a new Surface Laptop 3 and wanted to know if Window Defender is sufficient AV and malware protection? If not, I'll add something else, but many things I've read say to not use another...
  9. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  10. Is Windows Defender enough?

Is Windows Defender enough?: I'm fairly new to Windows 10, but so far, I like it. I have installed it on my laptop which formerly had Windows 8, then 8.1. I also have it on a Dell Inspiron netbook which formerly had had Windows 7 Starter. The netbook is doing far better than I had expected. I have been...