Windows 10: Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

Discus and support Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is windows defender a sufficient malware defense solution? How would a Microsoft representative answer that question? ie what am I missing?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ChristinaShonts, May 21, 2020.

1. Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

Is windows defender a sufficient malware defense solution?

How would a Microsoft representative answer that question?

ie what am I missing?

Considering it's resource consumption, it should be more than sufficient. Im guessing it takes an average of 25% of system resources. It will flat out halt large file transfers.

Are Microsoft's heuristics inadequate?

:)

ChristinaShonts, May 21, 2020

2. Protecting the computer (windows defender,avast, etc)?

Agreed with Firefox w/ Adblock Plus and NoScript. I suggest Antivir. Very trustworthy Antivirus and is less resource hogging the avast. Takes up about 40mb with guard enabled and 30mb with guard disabled.

spearman914, May 21, 2020
  3. theonedub Win User
    Do you use Windows Defender?

I used to use AVG but that thing seemed like a resource hog! Windows defender is only spyware protection *Frown Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus? :(

I use Microsoft Security Essentials now which does Anti Virus and Spyware protection. Its free so long as your copy of Windows passes Genuine Validation. Its quick and doesn't seem to hog up as much resources. *Toast :toast:

theonedub, May 21, 2020
  4. afornal Win User

Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

1. Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus? - Similar Threads - defender sufficient resource

2. Chrome hogging all resources

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  3. Chrome hogging all resources

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  4. Is Windows Defender sufficient?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Windows Defender sufficient?: Is Windows Defender (Windows 10) as good as the other free antivirus programs? Ist Windows Defender ausreichend?
  5. Is it recommended to purchase an antivirus like Kaspersky or is windows defender sufficient?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it recommended to purchase an antivirus like Kaspersky or is windows defender sufficient?: submitted by /u/See-bott [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fz3s9p/is_it_recommended_to_purchase_an_antivirus_like/
  6. Edge Chromium as a resource hog

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge Chromium as a resource hog: Dear team of Edge Browser and its users, Please, comment on my personal experience in using Edge Chromium stable version on my PC with Windows 10 Home with all latest updates. At the beginning the Edge browser worked as a charm but suddenly it started working slowly...
  7. Is Windows Defender Sufficient?

Is Windows Defender Sufficient?: is windows defender antivirus is enough to protect my pc ? [Original Title: security] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-windows-defender-sufficient/f5d4e65f-de4d-42a9-bba4-fc38c8551d3e
  8. Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?: I use Avast and MBAM. AdwCleaner from time time. I only have MBAM on my MacBook. Should I ditch Avast and use the inbuilt Windows Defender? Thing is, I don’t trust the inbuilt one enough to actually be effective. Will I get a performance gain doing this? 120725
  9. Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?: I use Avast and MBAM. AdwCleaner from time time. I only have MBAM on my MacBook. Should I ditch Avast and use the inbuilt Windows Defender? Thing is, I don’t trust the inbuilt one enough to actually be effective. Will I get a performance gain doing this? 120725
  10. Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer

Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer: I had thought that perhaps some malware infected my computer and I open up task manager and the resources are being hogged by Windows Defender itself, which seems to be a bit of malware itself. Specifically something called Antimalware Service Executable. I have read the...