Windows 10: Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer?

Discus and support Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Internet Explorer has been shown to be vulnerable to malware attack after opening a specially crafted .mht or .mhtml file. See (... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnStampfel, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer has been shown to be vulnerable to malware attack after opening a specially crafted .mht or .mhtml file. See ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/j )

After disabling Internet Explorer feature in Windows 10, the default program for handling .mht files became Word. (For the .mhtml filetype, the default program became "Office 2010 component", though I have Office 365 installed as well.) So now an .mht file would by default be opened in Word. (The .mht file could have been delivered, for example, in an email with a compressed web URL so the .mht was not visible.)

Is Word vulnerable to the same attack on opening the .mht malware file as was Internet Explorer?

:)

JohnStampfel, Apr 17, 2019
  2. DNDN_803 Win User

Internet Explorer 11 MHT File Problem

Unfortunately this is not the answer the question as my .mht file associations are already set to Internet Explorer.

DNDN_803, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Internet Explorer not saving all pictures within .mht file

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Internet Explorer not saving all pictures within .mht file on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to compatibility issues or incorrect Internet Explorer settings in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run the In-built Internet Explorer troubleshooters. Internet Explorer troubleshooters in Windows 8.1 Preview.

By default, Windows 8.1 has the following two Internet Explorer troubleshooters Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer? :( A) Internet Explorer Performance (B) Internet Explorer Safety.

To run Internet Explorer troubleshooters, please follow the steps mentioned below.

• Close all programs.

• Press Windows key + C.

• Type troubleshooting, under search.

• Click on troubleshooting and click view all on the task pane on the left.

• Click Internet Explorer Performance.

• Click next in the dialogue box.

• The troubleshooter will run and fix all identified issues automatically.

• Click Close.
    Note: After you run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter, start Internet Explorer to see whether the issue is fixed. If the issue still occurs, run the Internet Explorer Safety troubleshooter by
    using the same steps as mentioned earlier.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

How to runInternet Explorer without add-ons”,
    please follow the steps given below.

• Click the “Start” button.

• Click “All Programs”.

• Click “Accessories”.

• Click “System Tools”, and then click
      Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
    Note: Add-ons can sometimes cause browsers to run slowly and crash, or they might pose a security or compatibility risk. You can turn off specific add-ons to help increase
    your browsing speed, or if you suspect they are causing problems for Internet Explorer. You can also remove add-ons that you are no longer using from your PC.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer?

Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer?

1. Is Word subject to the MHT attack which affects Internet Explorer? - Similar Threads - Word subject MHT

2. Subject

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Subject: i give up. every thing i have tried dint work. now its time to give up :please do not respond to this post i really dont care anymoreSo uhh idk how this happend but like i tried Everything And i still cant open Microsoft Store and cant install appsand by Everything i mean...
  3. See document titles and subject properties in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    See document titles and subject properties in file explorer: I would like to be able to see the Title & Subject properties of the documents listed in a folder while in Window 10 file explorer. I have already tried to do this by adding those columns to the view in the explorer window, to no avail. Anyone have any other...
  4. Windows Explorer under see which apps are affecting your battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer under see which apps are affecting your battery life: hi there: I like to know one thing about see which apps are affecting your battery life. When my laptop is in battery mode, meaning it is not plugged in, I see that Windows Explorer states 35%, up from 31% even when I didn't even open Windows Explorer. How is that possible...
  5. 0x080070426 affects outlook, word, onedrive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    0x080070426 affects outlook, word, onedrive: tried restarting licence server, windows up to date, (2019/11/19) and running on 19-09 . please advise what is the best course of action other than looking for licencing service and then rebooting the machine. trying to update office at present to see if that resolves...
  6. Unable to open .mht files

Unable to open .mht files: I am running Windows 10 and I cannot open .mht files, even when I am the one who saved them to this computer and on this software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-mht-files/84d6c0a5-57c4-4f60-aa68-3955f445ff4b"
  7. A subject

in Windows 10 Customization
    A subject: why I can't shrink or delete my disk partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-subject/136392fd-74d8-4adb-b2ab-d76496286c22
  8. Word document are have internet explorer icons

Word document are have internet explorer icons: How do I change this? It happened after I did a system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-document-are-have-internet-explorer-icons/11676665-ed71-4edf-9ee8-f61e5fc10f5a"
  9. How to monitor which app in affecting Registry .

in Windows 10 Support
    How to monitor which app in affecting Registry .: So as the title says , I have this weird issue , every time I start / restart the windows the powershell gets a disallow run key in registry . Firstly I thought it's because of ExecutionPolicy but I set it to unrestricted and it doesn't change when I restart while when I...
  10. blank icon for .mht files

in Windows 10 Support
    blank icon for .mht files: Windows 10 pro, creators update, Firefox 54.0b10 & 53.0.3x64 I use the "Mozilla Archive Format" Firefox addon, which allows me to save .mht files from Firefox. The problem is the files have a "blank" where the Firefox icon should be. I remember having this problem in...