Windows 10: .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

Discus and support .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This ties partly into my other issue of not being able to mount ISO files in windows explorer. I am getting no luck on fixing that separate issue, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by forkinator, Jun 2, 2019.

1. .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

This ties partly into my other issue of not being able to mount ISO files in windows explorer. I am getting no luck on fixing that separate issue, so maybe if i tackle it at a different angle, the other problem could be solved as well. Please do not move this issue to Virtualization.

The Issue

Basically, in my "Choose default apps by file type" settings window, the .iso extension is missing. I am running Windows 10 Home Version 1809

.iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type [​IMG]

In the past, it was there, and also in the past, I was able to mount .iso files by right clicking, and selecting "mount". The option to mount is still there;

But gives me this error;

(this is part of my secondary issue being taken care of in another thread (hopefully)) so please don't move this thread to virtualization.

What I want:

I want the .iso extension back in my list of extensions in my settings --> default apps--> choose default apps by file type window.

Things I have tried;

• 1) Going to Settings - Indexing Options
      2) Advanced button
      3) File Types tab
      4) Add New Extension to List box, type in extension, (without a period) in this case "iso"
      5) Click OK and Close
    • Right clicking any .iso file, and selecting "open with", then selecting "choose another app", and then selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Right clicking any .iso file, selecting "Properties", then selecting the "Change" button under "opens with" and selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Restoring the default Windows file extension through registry fix detailed here with OPTION TWO and selecting the .iso reg file, adding it to my registry, and restarting my pc.
    • I created a "fake" extension named .isotest. It successfully appeared in the settings menu(see picture above)
    • Ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in elevated cmd prompt and then "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt. No issues were found.

In the registry, it shows that iso files are opened with Windows.IsoFile. Looking under the reg key, I cannot tell if anything is incorrect. Below are the reg keys associated with Windows.IsoFile and the .iso key in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

I'm not sure what else to do aside from formatting my pc which I really don't want to do for this issue. Help is greatly appreciated. Please read the whole post before suggesting things please.

Thanks.

:)

forkinator, Jun 2, 2019

2. How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Cant set the default app for extensions

Hi Alex,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know which app you are trying to set for
      .res extension?
    2. Could you check the app you are trying to set, if it is feasible with
      .res extension?

You may follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Setting >
      Apps.
    2. Click on Default apps.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Look for .res extension on the left pane.
    5. Across .res extension, click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Try browsing for the app.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jun 2, 2019
  4. .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type

When going to Settings / Apps / Default apps , I am unable to choose default apps by file type, ie the file type boxes ( .bmp .gif etc ) greyed out "Choose a default" missing. This means every time I click a bmp or gif file I have to select what app
    to open it with .

RonHazlehurst, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

.iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

1. .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type - Similar Threads - iso extension missing

2. "Choose default Options" is missing under "Default Apps" settings page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Choose default Options" is missing under "Default Apps" settings page: screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/hnwSDrm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choose-default-options-is-missing-under-default/12d75774-8ce7-41ca-990a-0272d9d87500
  3. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing "Default App" setting from file type: I am running Windows 10. I accidentally chose a default app to open a certain type of file and now I can't set it back to "none". I do not want ANY app associated with this file type. How do I fix this? I already tried creating a dummy .exe file to associate it with and...
  4. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing "Default App" setting from file type: I am running Windows 10. I accidentally chose a default app to open a certain type of file and now I can't set it back to "none". I do not want ANY app associated with this file type. How do I fix this? I already tried creating a dummy .exe file to associate it with and...
  5. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  7. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  8. Under settings, choose default application by file extension.

Under settings, choose default application by file extension.: Under settings, choosing the default application by file extension, is very time-consuming. It has no search feature "dumb." I'm quite familiar with editing the registry "Regedit" I have looked at I cannot find where applications by extension is filed. If anybody knows,...
  9. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...
  10. choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .iso extension missing from settings/ choose default apps by file type