Windows 10: ISO file question

Discus and support ISO file question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A few weeks ago, I created a Windows 10 recovery DVD, using the media creation tool. Since then, Microsoft has installed several Windows 10 updates. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gogreen, Sep 11, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

ISO file question

A few weeks ago, I created a Windows 10 recovery DVD, using the media creation tool. Since then, Microsoft has installed several Windows 10 updates. Is the ISO file updated with the most recent updates? If it's updated, how often is it updated? Is it wise every so often to create a fresh recovery DVD?

I ask because I needed to do a fresh install of Windows 7 some time ago. That ISO file was older, and it took quite a while to install many, many upgrades. They installed fine, but it took a while. I'm wondering if the latest Windows 10 64-bit ISO file includes the latest updates.

Thanks.

:)

gogreen, Sep 11, 2015
  2. WindowsOS Win User

Question about win 10 ISO File.

You will get the very Latest version available.

WindowsOS, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Question about win 10 ISO File.

I want to download the latest build of win 10 ISO. Does this link provide

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench latest build of ISO?

Like currently the latest version of win 10 is 10586.318. So will get this version from the above mentioned link or any previous version.

VarunBhandari, Sep 11, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

ISO file question

I do not believe the iso is always current. I have not seen anything that shows how often it is updated. I would reccomend to update it quarterly, or after any major updates.

5. gogreen Win User
    Thank you, Dude. Does anyone know how often it's actually updated?

gogreen, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    I'm not sure. Hoping someone will chime in if they know.

7. lx07 Win User
    AFAIK on 7 the only update to the ISO was SP1, on 8 there was 8.1 and then 8.1 update. At least on 10 the updates are cumulative so you'll not end up installing 500 patches like you had to before (unless you have an old version of Office).

I installed Win 10 on the 6th September. I have 5 Windows upgrade patches and 69 for Office 2010...

8. gogreen Win User

ISO file question

Hmmmm. I didn't think about Office 10, which I have. So you're saying that there will be tons of updates anyway because of Office 10?

gogreen, Sep 11, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Yes there will but for Windows 10 itself it isn't (and will not be) as annoying as 7 - as long as they stick to the cumulative update model.

I don't know what happens with more recent versions of Office - perhaps they will be cumulative too.

10. Interesting question -- I was wondering about this, too.

So, I downloaded the Win10 64-bit Pro ISO a few minutes ago and compared the file/folder dates and the install.wim files from this download, to the same ISO I had downloaded on 8/9 and on 8/15 -- and discovered that the dates are all different and the install/wim files are all different sizes and dates.

So, apparently, MS is updating their Win10 ISO files, just not telling us when or why.

Mark Phelps, Sep 11, 2015
  11. Dude Win User
  12. joebilly Win User
    So, it's ok to delete the "old" ISO file from my USB stick and download a new Windows 10 ISO file using Microsoft Media creation tool?

I have wondering about this subject lately.

joebilly, Sep 11, 2015
  13. Dude Win User

ISO file question

Yes

14. gogreen Win User
    I created a Windows 10 recovery DVD with the media creation tool. If I had created Windows 10 recovery media using a jump drive, and if I wanted to update it, can I copy an updated iso file to the jump drive, or do I need to start fresh with a reformatted jump drive? Or does the media creation tool recognize the writable jump drive and copy only updated files?

gogreen, Sep 14, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Media Creation Tool will erase the existing USB drive and install everything fresh. You can also save the ISO file to your computer, mount it, and then copy over the contents to the flash drive that has already had an image on it. If it were me, I would just let Media Creation Tool do it, if I didn't have anything else on that flash drive. There isn't any real evidence that Microsoft has updated the ISO file you get from Media Creation Tool, though.

NavyLCDR, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

ISO file question

1. ISO file question - Similar Threads - ISO file question

2. ISO from RECOVERY question.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO from RECOVERY question.: Hello to the forum. Have been given advice from this forum regarding w10p 1909 problems but having problems getting an iso. Then saw this thread How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive I am trying to download the 1909 iso from HeiDoc but not succeeding (poor...
  3. sending iso to usb question

sending iso to usb question: I will be downloading windows 10 iso using media creation tool soon. I prepared the usb drive earlier following tutorial, my question is do I right click on the Iso file when it's done and click on send to my usb drive or, do I need to put the iso on a dvd disc first? Thanks!...
  4. Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file

Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file: Yes yes indeed! I want to download the Windows 10 ISO file. Question: when I do that, does it download the full install, so when ever I need to do an In-Place repair, I don't have to download the whole thing all over again? Also, can I install this on another Drive other...
  5. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9 which says -: 9. Select where...
  6. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

in Windows 10 Support
    Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9. 9. Select where you would like...
  7. ISO Update Questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    ISO Update Questions: I have Windows 10 1803, and have not received the 1809 or the 1903 updates. I have used the update troubleshooter, checked the latest information file in the Panther directory, and used the update tool, but still haven't received the update. Many people on this forums have...
  8. Windows 10 ISO: file system question

Windows 10 ISO: file system question: Hi, I don't want and I never used the "media creation tool". I Always donwload the ISO and then I usually put it in a dvd and in some pendrives. But, I Always have some doubts that I want to clarify forever, if you can help me. We have a WINDOWS 10.ISO (latest...
  9. Windows 10 ISO Question

Windows 10 ISO Question: My question is if the Win 10 ISO thumb drive you create to do a fresh install usable to install Win 10 on another PC? I had Win 7 Pro on my old PC. I did the Win 10 upgrade. Then did the fresh install using the ISO. I had already built a new gaming machine with Win 7 Pro...
  10. Windows 10 Iso question

Windows 10 Iso question: Hi, Ive just created a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. Everything went great with the installation...so thanks to you guys for all the advice I received :-) I was curious to see how old the ISO was that I'd downloaded. When I checked the...