Windows 10: ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

Discus and support ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Good morning,I recently had my internal SSD with OS die on me. I decided to upload an ISO on my 500 gig external ssd and use the OS from there. The OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AndrewVargas3, Nov 23, 2021.

1. ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

Good morning,I recently had my internal SSD with OS die on me. I decided to upload an ISO on my 500 gig external ssd and use the OS from there. The OS loaded fine/fast, but the disk space available is strange as it is only showing I have 27.6 GB free of 31.9 GB instead of the remainder of the 500 GB minus the OS file space. My question is: should I have partitioned the drive before loading the ISO file on my SSD ?

:)

AndrewVargas3, Nov 23, 2021
  2. Romel Ram Win User

Loss of External drives

Hi,

For better assistance, kindly verify the queries below:

• What is the make and model of the external drives?
    • Have you checked if both drivers are recognized on the BIOS settings?
    • Are you connecting the external hard drives via USB?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far for this issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Romel Ram, Nov 23, 2021
  3. Loss of External drives

Romel,

• What is the make and model of the external drives?
    They are Fantom Drives, both 2TB, one a year old, and the other 2.

• Have you checked if both drivers are recognized on the BIOS settings?
    After they stop functioning, the drivers and everything are gone. They show up nowhere in any of the system settings. They may function flawlessly for weeks or days before the failure occurs. They can disappear with no warnings at all right in the middle
    of a file access.

• Are you connecting the external hard drives via USB?
    Yes, 3.0 with the correct cables. They are now connected directly to physical ports on the PC, not a supplemental usb port card. They were on an extender card prior, and I moved them as an attempt to fix the issue.

• What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far for this issue?
    I have looked for updated new drivers, and have found none. I had contacted Amazon and they actually replaced one of the drives about a year ago, for the same failure reason. At that time only one of the drives was failing, and the other was OK.

I've run any diagnostics I could find on both drives, to no avail, all R/W tests run fine.

I have a second PC, in my shop, running XP for my CNC machine, with one of the same drives, about 2 years old. That drive has never gone away. I swapped a drive from the home desktop to the shop, The home drive in the shop, has not gone away for 3 months
    now, but the one on the home PC from the shop has failed in the same manner several times so far.

I do not remember for sure when I converted over to Win 10 on the house machine, so I do not remember If I had failures prior to Win 10.

On the other hand, If it were the drives, with the number of sales from amazon, the reviews would indicate this failure I'd think. I'm simply at a loss, with the good run experience in XP, it's hard to not suspect within Win 10.

I hope that helps. I'd prefer to not have to replace the drives with some from another company, just to see if the failure goes away, but I almost see no other options. It's highly unlikely that Microsoft would ever pursue this, as I see nobody else mentioning
    it. Almost wish I never moved from XP......

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!!!!

Henri Monnier

email: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** in case you wish to send some test app.

HenriMonnier, Nov 23, 2021
  4. ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

unallocated space in G drive (external)

Hi,

It seems that the external drive's disk partition was not fully or properly allocated. You can extend the disk's partition size by following these steps:

• Click Windows logo (Start), then type diskmgmt.msc.
    • Right-click the basic volume you want to extend. This is the external drive's partition that was previously allocated.
    • Select Extend Volume.
    • Follow the instructions on your screen.

Note: Make sure that you are selecting the correct disk or partition that you want to modify to avoid unexpected data loss. Also, it would be best to backup any existing files on your external drive before making any changes.

If you are still having challenges on managing your disk's partition, we suggest that you post your concern on
    TechNet since this particular issue is beyond the scope
    of this forum.

Don't hesitate to provide us some feedback.

Regards.

Meliton Dec, Nov 23, 2021
Thema:

ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

1. ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space - Similar Threads - ISO external SSD

2. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  3. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  4. ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space: Good morning,I recently had my internal SSD with OS die on me. I decided to upload an ISO on my 500 gig external ssd and use the OS from there. The OS loaded fine/fast, but the disk space available is strange as it is only showing I have 27.6 GB free of 31.9 GB instead of the...
  5. ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ISO on external SSD resulted in the drive having significant loss in drive space: Good morning,I recently had my internal SSD with OS die on me. I decided to upload an ISO on my 500 gig external ssd and use the OS from there. The OS loaded fine/fast, but the disk space available is strange as it is only showing I have 27.6 GB free of 31.9 GB instead of the...
  6. C drive space loss due to SQL

C drive space loss due to SQL: -I discovered my C disk is missing 130GB. I noticed a folder called "Dump" in "Microsoft SQL Server" took up 130GB.-What is that folder used for? Can I delete this folder.Can anyone help me? Thank you very much...
  7. Random loss of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random loss of hard drive space?: Dropbox said something about too little memory and then i checked "My PC" and it said 8GB. Then i searched on my PC if there are files i do not need, i literally come back after 1min and it says 2GB?! How? I can not think of anything, i don't remember that i installed...
  8. External SSD Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External SSD Drives: W-10 No Longer Recognizes External SSD Drives on Dell XPS. HP Pavilion does with no problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled USB Drivers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-drives/b13f61d3-e987-4f29-be39-bfc08a38b7e6
  9. SSD external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD external drive: My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-external-drive/3df1d677-63b9-4b76-9ac3-0d0f2f7b15fc
  10. Search results on external drive?

Search results on external drive?: Hello everyone :) I have plugged an external HDD to my pc. I then open the drive folder. When I search for a specific file in the drive folder, using the standard Windows search function. Will it then also search and show results from: The recycle bin on the external drive?...