Windows 10: Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer

Discus and support Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Pro laptop is dying, so I created a back up image and restored it to a new laptop. I'm running into issues reactivating my license on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Edward Stumpf, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer

My Windows 10 Pro laptop is dying, so I created a back up image and restored it to a new laptop. I'm running into issues reactivating my license on the new laptop. The old laptop is still working, so I can make changes there if I need to.

My question are: can my Windows 10 Pro license be transferred? Does it require making changes on the original laptop?

History of my Windows licensing on the original laptop:

• Laptop had originally had Windows 7
    • I upgraded it to Windows 10 Home
    • Later I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license through the Microsoft Store

I've tried running the Activation Troubleshooter via Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot. Here's the result:

Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer 745f8b00-568e-4ebf-94da-465bf8ee7a33?upload=true.png

I attempted to use "I changed hardware on this device recently", which had me attempt to log into my Microsoft Store account. I logged in and authorized the login via the Authenticator app on my phone, but it went to this screen:

Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer 8b2b3284-41e7-429f-b105-bf1957a0af82?upload=true.png

Extra information:

I noticed in another issue that there's a command to run for extra troubleshooting information, so here's the redacted results of running slmgr.vbs /dlv from the Command Line as an Admin:

• Result on original laptop:
    • Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer e1507308-3918-426a-9fae-028ea292a1dc?upload=true.png
    • Result on new, re-imaged laptop:
    • Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer 5a7067dd-7d77-4dbc-8f36-e93d9bc0d4db?upload=true.png

:)

Edward Stumpf, Apr 11, 2019
  2. DavidY Win User

Is the free upgarde transferable? I think not.

Hi Kari,
    Can you confirm that the computer at step 5 (I numbered your list *Wink ) had never had an activated Insider build (especially not 10240)?

I'm wondering if it was possible that the second machine activated because the activation servers recognised the hardware from an earlier activation, and not because of the method you used to transfer?

DavidY, Apr 11, 2019
  3. New Compute, Windows 10 (upgrade) Activation Transfer

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

Also see if you can reactivate using chat support:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer

Andre Da Costa, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer

1. Issue activating Windows 10 Pro after transferring image to new computer - Similar Threads - Issue activating Pro

2. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC: Hi,I don't know the full history of the old PC, but do know that it was licensed for Windows 10 Pro before the motherboard died and the HDD was placed in a new, barebones PC. There doesn't seem to be a Microsoft Account that we have access to that might have had a "Pro...
  3. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC: Hi,I don't know the full history of the old PC, but do know that it was licensed for Windows 10 Pro before the motherboard died and the HDD was placed in a new, barebones PC. There doesn't seem to be a Microsoft Account that we have access to that might have had a "Pro...
  4. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer: I am replacing my old HP computer. Win10 Pro is an upgraded OS on this machine. I have a valid key for this OS that I would like to use with my new computer. I recently built a new machine for my wife. In the process of that I purchased a Win10 Pro disc with a separate key....
  6. Transfer Windows 10 Pro to New Computer

Transfer Windows 10 Pro to New Computer: I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft at no charge. I am going to buy a new computer but it comes with Windows 10 Home. Can I upgrade the Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro on the new computer using the license from my old computer?...
  7. New computer - transfer windows 10 pro license

New computer - transfer windows 10 pro license: I have an Windows 10 Pro license, purchased from Microsoft as a Digital License. It is active on my current PC that originally came with Windows 10 Home. I have purchased a new PC with Windows 10 Home and would like to transfer the Pro license to it, and keep my old PC with...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Transfer to a new Computer

Windows 10 Pro Transfer to a new Computer: Hello, I recently built a new PC for gaming and was trying to transfer my Windows 10 Pro Digital License from my old Computer. I looked up my Produkt key and Uninstalled the produktkey from my old computer, but when i attempted to activate it ony my new pc it said Error...
  9. Windows 10 Pro transfer to new computer

Windows 10 Pro transfer to new computer: I just bought a new Dell G7 that came with Windows 10 Home. I am retiring an Hp 4720s which has Windows 10 Pro. I bought a Retail version of Windows 7 Pro; then took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it first came available. Now, I am being told by...
  10. Transferring Windows 10 Pro to a new computer

Transferring Windows 10 Pro to a new computer: I am building a new computer and want to get everything over to it from my old computer. The old computer will not be functioning. I believe I can get whatever data I need over but I am wondering about the Windows 10 Pro. The Windows 10 Pro is activated in my microsoft...