Windows 10: Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks

Discus and support Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having issues with my laptop. I have an HP Envy DV7 Model: C2N70UA It was turned off for a few months, and when I turned it back on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tlarseth, Mar 9, 2017.

1. tlarseth Win User

Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks

I have been having issues with my laptop.

I have an HP Envy DV7 Model: C2N70UA

It was turned off for a few months, and when I turned it back on found out I could not connect to the internet, it gave a "connected no internet" message, but if I hovered over the wifi icon on taskbar, it would say "Unidentified Network".

I did find that if I reset Network through Network Settings which runs netsh, after the reboot it would connect to a WiFi network, but if I tried to connect to another network I would have to reset network again and reboot to connect to it.

I have tried rolling back the laptop, updating WLAN drivers, even tried installing an older driver that I knew worked perfectly in the past. So far nothing has fixed the issue.

:)

tlarseth, Mar 9, 2017

2. HTC Trophy Unlocked - Wifi Connection Issues

My phone was working great and could connect to wi-fi networks with no issues. Now, I get 'Connection unsuccessful, Your phone couldn't reach the WiFi net '<any network>'. The phone will still connect to my office wifi (authenticated) and home network,
    but no new networks. I've tried public networks at coffee shops, airports, hotels, and no new wi-fi networks will work.

Phone is HTC Trophy (unlocked) and has WP7 update installed.

Thanks.

JC_Herndon, Mar 9, 2017
  3. unable to change networks

hello,

am having an issue with my wifi connection. I am able to connect to one network but when i try to connect to another network my laptop is suddenly unable to identify the network so inorder for me to identify the new network i have to disable and then enable
    the wifi adapter. how can i fix this problem?

YehyaAlameh, Mar 9, 2017
  4. Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks

Hi tlarseth

While I'm not sure this is a solution could you please check your power mgmt options for your wireless adapter. First in device manager, there should be a power mgmt tab. I would remove check mark that allows Computer to power down device to save power.

I would then head to advance power options. Under Wireless adapter make sure battery and plugged in is set to Maximum performance.

Are you running any kind of network profiling software from HP. Can't remember what they called it, something like Wireless Assistant. If so I would review those settings.

Would you mind sharing what wireless adapter you have.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 10, 2017
  5. tlarseth Win User
    I have already set wifi to not turn off to save power, I do a lot of uploading of pictures and video for work, and they take a while on DSL, so I have already set them to not turn off.

This is a fresh install of Windows 10, I am not running any OEM software on it.

My WLAN card is Qualcomm Atheros AR9485.

Yesterday it started booting me offline forcing me to reset network to reconnect while I was using the computer.

tlarseth, Mar 11, 2017
  6. May I suggest you head to the HP site and download their driver for your card. If I've keyed in your laptop correctly it looks like they have V1.0 of the driver dated Feb 17, 2014. Some vendors will tweak drivers for their machines and an 8.1 driver should be fine.

Not sure which driver you are running today but that is where is would start. Note driver number you have installed today so you can confirm installation of older driver. I would also create restore point before changing drivers.

If that fails to correct situation then ....

To be sure we are not dealing with network interference at a command prompt(admin)

Netsh wlan show all
    (produces report on wireless. Once output is produced, click in command window, then Crtl + A, then open notepad and Crtl + C to paste. Post text file.)

You can also run this tool which allows you to visualize your network and those around you. You said it has been a while since you last used, maybe an interfering network has been installed.

inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

Other have found disabling IPv6 helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...nts-in-windows

Simple to turn off and back on with links in the link above.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 11, 2017
  7. bookfox Win User
    bookfox, Mar 11, 2017
  8. tlarseth Win User

I booted into safemode, uninstalled the WLAN drivers, and rebooted. I let Windows auto download the drivers (was hooked up to cat5 at time), and so far so good. I did some digging into log files, apparently the driver without being updated got corrupted somehow, and was tripping some weird error message about not loading right.

Will post in a few days to let you all know if this fixed it or not.

tlarseth, Mar 13, 2017
  9. tlarseth Win User
    *UPDATE*

It is still doing it, but I have found that when the laptop tries to get a WLAN IP, it gets a link local instead. If I go into my wifi settings and manually set the information, then go back in and let it auto setup, it will go online. Here is the error I got earlier that made me check this setting,

Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks [​IMG]

Here is that info,

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393](c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Vegeta>Netsh wlan show all Wireless System Information Summary (Time: 3/15/2017 2:37:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time) ======================================================================= ============================== SHOW DRIVERS =========================== ======================================================================= Interface name: Wi-Fi Driver : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter Vendor : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. Provider : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. Date : 11/12/2013 Version : 10.0.0.274 INF file : ???? Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes 802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes Hosted network supported : Yes Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode: Open None Open WEP-40bit Open WEP-104bit Open WEP WPA-Enterprise TKIP WPA-Personal TKIP WPA2-Enterprise TKIP WPA2-Personal TKIP Vendor defined TKIP WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined Vendor defined Vendor defined WPA-Enterprise CCMP WPA-Personal CCMP WPA2-Enterprise CCMP Vendor defined CCMP WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined Vendor defined Vendor defined WPA2-Personal CCMP Vendor defined Vendor defined Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode: Open None Open WEP-40bit Open WEP-104bit Open WEP WPA2-Personal CCMP Vendor defined Vendor defined Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes) ======================================================================= ============================= SHOW INTERFACES ========================= ======================================================================= There is 1 interface on the system: Name : Wi-Fi Description : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter GUID : d29fc31a-4b29-48bd-8aa3-f600d70086d1 Physical address : 74:e5:43:d6:cf:46 State : connected SSID : Motoko BSSID : 10:da:43:2b:e7:a3 Network type : Infrastructure Radio type : 802.11g Authentication : WPA-Personal Cipher : CCMP Connection mode : Auto Connect Channel : 1 Receive rate (Mbps) : 54 Transmit rate (Mbps) : 54 Signal : 100% Profile : Motoko Hosted network status : Not available ======================================================================= =========================== SHOW HOSTED NETWORK ======================= ======================================================================= Hosted network settings ----------------------- Mode : Allowed SSID name : "Kyle" Max number of clients : 100 Authentication : WPA2-Personal Cipher : CCMP Hosted network status --------------------- Status : Not available ======================================================================= ============================= SHOW SETTINGS =========================== ======================================================================= Wireless LAN settings --------------------- Show blocked networks in visible network list: No Only use GP profiles on GP-configured networks: No Hosted network mode allowed in WLAN service: Yes Allow shared user credentials for network authentication: Yes Block period: Not Configured. Auto configuration logic is enabled on interface "Wi-Fi" MAC randomization not available on interface Wi-Fi ======================================================================= ============================== SHOW FILTERS =========================== ======================================================================= Allow list on the system (group policy) --------------------------------------- <None> Allow list on the system (user) ------------------------------- <None> Block list on the system (group policy) --------------------------------------- <None> Block list on the system (user) ------------------------------- <None> ======================================================================= =========================== SHOW CREATEALLUSER ======================== ======================================================================= Everyone is allowed to create all user profiles. ======================================================================= ============================= SHOW PROFILES =========================== ======================================================================= Profiles on interface Wi-Fi: Group policy profiles (read only) --------------------------------- <None> User profiles ------------- All User Profile : Motoko ======================================================================= ========================== SHOW PROFILES NAME=* ======================= ======================================================================= Profile Motoko on interface Wi-Fi: ======================================================================= Applied: All User Profile Profile information ------------------- Version : 1 Type : Wireless LAN Name : Motoko Control options : Connection mode : Connect automatically Network broadcast : Connect only if this network is broadcasting AutoSwitch : Do not switch to other networks MAC Randomization : Disabled Connectivity settings --------------------- Number of SSIDs : 1 SSID name : "Motoko" Network type : Infrastructure Radio type : [ Any Radio Type ] Vendor extension : Not present Security settings ----------------- Authentication : WPA-Personal Cipher : CCMP Security key : Present Cost settings ------------- Cost : Unrestricted Congested : No Approaching Data Limit : No Over Data Limit : No Roaming : No Cost Source : Default ======================================================================= ======================= SHOW NETWORKS MODE=BSSID ====================== ======================================================================= Interface name : Wi-Fi There are 3 networks currently visible. SSID 1 : Motoko Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA-Personal Encryption : CCMP BSSID 1 : 10:da:43:2b:e7:a3 Signal : 100% Radio type : 802.11g Channel : 1 Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11 Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54 SSID 2 : MyCharterWiFi10-2G Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP BSSID 1 : c4:04:15:a3:2b:10 Signal : 44% Radio type : 802.11n Channel : 3 Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11 Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54 SSID 3 : DIRECT- Network type : Adhoc Authentication : Open Encryption : WEP BSSID 1 : 56:88:0e:ab:93:d2 Signal : 100% Radio type : 802.11g Channel : 1 Basic rates (Mbps) : 6 12 24 Other rates (Mbps) : 9 18 36 48 54 ======================================================================= ======================= SHOW INTERFACE CAPABILITIES =================== ======================================================================= Wireless System Capabilities ---------------------------- Number of antennas connected to the 802.11 radio (value not available) Max number of channels the device can operate on, simultaneously (value not available) Co-existence Support : Unknown Wireless Device Capabilities ---------------------------- Interface name: Wi-Fi WDI Version (Windows) : 0.0.0.0 WDI Version (IHV) : 0.0.0.0 Firmware Version : Station : Supported Soft AP : Supported Network monitor mode : Supported Wi-Fi Direct Device : Supported Wi-Fi Direct GO : Supported Wi-Fi Direct Client : Supported Protected Management Frames : Supported DOT11k neighbor report : Unknown ANQP Service Information Discovery : Not Supported Action Frame : Not Supported Diversity Antenna : Unknown IBSS : Supported Promiscuous Mode : Supported P2P Device Discovery : Not Supported P2P Service Name Discovery : Not Supported P2P Service Info Discovery : Not Supported P2P Background Discovery : Not Supported P2P GO on 5 GHz : Unknown ASP 2.0 Service Name Discovery : Not Supported ASP 2.0 Service Information Discovery : Not Supported IP Docking Capable : Not Supported FIPS : Supported Instant Connect : Not Supported Dx Standby NLO : Not Supported Extended Channel Switch Announcement : Unknown Function Level Reset : Not Supported Platform Level Reset : Not Supported Bus Level Reset : Not Supported MAC Randomization : Not Supported Fast Transition : Not Supported MU-MIMO : Unknown Miracast Sink : Unknown BSS Transition (802.11v) : Unknown IHV Extensibility Module Configured : Not Supported Number of Tx Spatial Streams : 0 Number of Rx Spatial Streams : 0 Number of Concurrent Channels Supported : 2 P2P GO ports count : 1 P2P Clients Port Count : 2 P2P Max Mobile AP Clients : 128 Max ANQP Service Advertisements Supported : 0 Co-existence Support : Unknown C:\Users\Vegeta>[/quote] Right now I am running the HP drivers version 10.0.0.274 On the HP site it lists it as 1.00 under the windows 8.1 page, which HP said is the one they want us to use if we took the Win10 update.

tlarseth, Mar 14, 2017
  10. Sorry I didn't really follow what was happen in the opening paragraph of your most recent post. I think you saying it doesn't get a valid IP address when it connects to router.

A couple of things I would do. First tell your device not to connect to Open Networks automatically. From the report there is one, maybe you own, which has a signal strength of 100% and it is using the same channel. Do you recognize network name Direct-. There was another member and his device was trying to connect to open network when it should have been using secured network.

To disable Start => Setting => Network and Internet => Wifi (from column on left)

When Wifi info appears on right scroll down and shut off Wi-FI Sense, scroll some more, disable Hotspot, down some more disable "Paid Wifi"

Next, at least for your home environment, assuming you access to router, you can enter router with your device connected and locate the section to reserve an IP address. Reserve the address assigned to laptop. This way your device will always be assigned the same address. (This address is reserved based on laptop's unique MAC address. Maybe hold off making this change until you see results of disabling the stuff above.

Do you know who owns open network called Direct-

Are you also able to connect through a network called Kyle or are you providing access through your device to other devices?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 14, 2017
  11. tlarseth Win User
    The Network "Kyle" must be a network that was automatically setup by windows. I did a search on hosted networks and it apparently is internet sharing, as in an Ad-Holic network the computer runs. I just removed it from the system and will post back to see if maybe that is interfering.

Direct I believe is my HP printer.

*EDIT UPDATE*

I rebooted my laptop a few times, so far so good after deleting and scrubbing all references to the hosted network.

To do that you go into regedit, and deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\wlansvc\parameters\hostednetworksettings
    keys.

tlarseth, Mar 15, 2017
  12. Cool. Thanks for posting back and keep it coming.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  13. tlarseth Win User

So far so good, the WiFi seems stable, has kept connection through several reboots.

On a side note, my Windows Store and Windows Updates now work too, was having issues with them as well, this regedit fix kind of fixed it as well.

Will mark as solved tomorrow night after work if it is still acting normal when I get home.

tlarseth, Mar 15, 2017
  14. Bonus !! I wonder how they are interrelated. Updates won't download on a metered connection but why would sharing internet change or fix.

Most important point, it works.

You may wish to investigate Macrium Reflect and take an Image. Always handy to have.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  15. tlarseth Win User
    I think it was because updates were trying to load through "kyle" and not the current network. This could be why the system was trying to use that network randomly while on instead of the one I told it too, apparently Windows is set to prefer hosted/ad-holic over regular wifi, as hosted uses the wifi card and takes control of it.

tlarseth, Mar 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Issue connecting to new WiFi Networks - Similar Threads - Issue connecting WiFi

2. Wifi network connecting issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi network connecting issue: Hi,I have Dell inspiron 15 5537 issue is catching wifi signals showing only one bar. if i take near router it's show full bar. Please help me about this issue.Thanks...
  3. Wifi network connecting issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi network connecting issue: Hi,I have Dell inspiron 15 5537 issue is catching wifi signals showing only one bar. if i take near router it's show full bar. Please help me about this issue.Thanks...
  4. Wifi network connecting issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. no wifi in network connections

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no wifi in network connections: I can't seem to connect to wifi on my laptop after doing a factory reset. I'm really confused. when I open up network settings the wifi network is just not there....
  6. Issue with wifi connectivity, adapter not detecting wifi network

Issue with wifi connectivity, adapter not detecting wifi network: I am not able to connect to wifi as it is not getting detected. I have to then execute the netsh command and restart machine. This fixes the problem for some time however in few mins the connection is lost again. Can someone help how i can fix this. the problem has started...
  7. Network Connection And Wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network Connection And Wifi: Anyone know how to fix this?[IMG][IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-connection-and-wifi/5e8a6fb9-0862-4ea9-a94b-8b51e98b004f
  8. wifi network connection

wifi network connection: My wifi connection was working fine until I setup my printer canon TS3122, now my wifi network doesn't even show up on "available networks" all I see is no connection/proxy symbol. I have tried resetting my router and network reset. please help I am not computer savvy....
  9. Network issues-Can't connect to internet, but connected to wifi

Network issues-Can't connect to internet, but connected to wifi: I recently switched ISPs (from Xfinity to Fios Verizon). After the technician came over, all my devices connected perfectly except my gaming pc. This pc is custom-built, current specs: Microsoft Win10 Pro 64 bit Motherboard: AS Rock H110M-DGS R3.0 8GB RAM GTX 980ti 6gb I5...
  10. Wifi issue- unable to connect to this network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wifi issue- unable to connect to this network: I have a Surface Pro (Surface_Pro_1796), and since the last Windows 10 update I can't connect to a specific wifi network (the network itself works fine for all other devices) . I have tried to roll back to the last wireless adapter driver but that doesn't seem to fix the...