Windows 10: Issue installing windows on nvme drive

Discus and support Issue installing windows on nvme drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/sessinnek [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/km8hlz/issue_installing_windows_on_nvme_drive/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sessinnek, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Issue installing windows on nvme drive

/u/sessinnek, Dec 29, 2020

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Dec 29, 2020
  3. little cat, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Issue installing windows on nvme drive

Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Issue installing windows on nvme drive

1. Issue installing windows on nvme drive - Similar Threads - Issue installing nvme

2. Windows 11 install process not recognizing NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 install process not recognizing NVMe drive: Dear Support team,I have installed a new computer with a Samsung 980PRO Nvme drive. The drive is recognized in the UEFI bios.When I launch the Window11 installer there is no driver available to continue installation. In the Command Linewindow I have set the Nvme drive with...
  3. Windows 11 install process not recognizing NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install process not recognizing NVMe drive: Dear Support team,I have installed a new computer with a Samsung 980PRO Nvme drive. The drive is recognized in the UEFI bios.When I launch the Window11 installer there is no driver available to continue installation. In the Command Linewindow I have set the Nvme drive with...
  4. Trouble installing Windows to NVMe-drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble installing Windows to NVMe-drive: I am trying to install Windows from scratch using a bootable USB to a completely new M2-disk. Everything works as it is supposed to until the part in the installation where it restarts the computer to continue. After restarting it just boots the USB-drive again. I can still...
  5. Trouble installing Windows to NVMe-drive

Trouble installing Windows to NVMe-drive: I am trying to install Windows from scratch using a bootable USB to a completely new M2-disk. Everything works as it is supposed to until the part in the installation where it restarts the computer to continue. After restarting it just boots the USB-drive again. I can still...
  6. Trouble installing Windows to NVMe-drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  8. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  9. Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?: Hi I ran a hyper-v vm this morning and I tried to add a physical drive which I do regularly as I need to access the data on it. Up until today, that data has always been on an SSD but I recently moved all that data onto a new NVMe drive. The first time I tried, I added it...
  10. Issues installing windows 10 to 970 NVMe EVO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues installing windows 10 to 970 NVMe EVO: I recently purchased a new Samsung SSD 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2280 from newegg along with an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MB. I would like to clean install windows 10 or clone windows 10 to boot from the SSD, but am unable. I have been reading several posts on this website and...