Windows 10: Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

Discus and support Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I recently had to get my computer fitted with a new hard drive after the old one crashed. I had a new one installed and got most of my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bronson Hunt, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

Hello,

I recently had to get my computer fitted with a new hard drive after the old one crashed. I had a new one installed and got most of my files back, however one small difference was that my User folder in C:\Users was simply "User", as opposed to my first name as I had it before. I wanted to change this, without making a second account and I've been following this tutorial on GroovyPost to do so.

I've gotten to the point of finding the SID value and going to rename the folder in the elevated cmd, but I've come to a roadblock.

Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt 5cb646bb-e970-4d04-b95b-10498e36e43c?upload=true.png

I cannot discern what process is using it, or find a reliable answer to fix this through Google or other questions here, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm aware that the tutorial is somewhat vague, and even makes an error in giving the wmic command as "wmic user account list full" instead of "wmic useraccount list full", so I would appreciate any additional help to this tutorial along with fixing the above roadblock.

Thank you very much.

:)

Bronson Hunt, Feb 8, 2019

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Feb 8, 2019
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

1. Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt - Similar Threads - Issue renaming User

2. Is there a way to login into users using command prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to login into users using command prompt?: As you can tell by the title, Is there a way to login into users using command prompt? You can also give code to a script. Anything helps. Thanks!...
  3. Is there a way to login into users using command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to login into users using command prompt?: As you can tell by the title, Is there a way to login into users using command prompt? You can also give code to a script. Anything helps. Thanks!...
  4. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  5. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  6. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Command Prompt issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt issue: I try to open it as an admin, and it says "to continue, enter admin username and password" and the only option it gives me is "no" which closes out the program. This started happening after deleting another account and setting this one to device owner....
  8. "rename" command in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "rename" command in Command Prompt: Never thought I'd have another DOS question, but ... never say never, I guess. So I have a folder with sub-folders named with the dates of all the weekdays in April, in the format 2019-04-xx_. I want to change the names to May, i.e. replace "04" with "05". I opened a...
  9. Command Prompt Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Issue: I am the only user on my laptop and have the Administrator account. When I access the command prompt, the usual DOS line C:\Windows\system32 does not appear. I have tried opening as Admin, too, even though I already am the Admin. Instead I get this C:\Users\rotor, which is...
  10. Command Prompt Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Issue: Hi, Whenever I open my command Prompt (Windows 10 Home), it briefly flashes for less than a second and closes. I tried all the solutions on the Microsoft Forum as well as all other forums but no luck. Right now I don't have any other choice but to use Windows Powershell but...