Windows 10: Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and...

Discus and support Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 physical drives drive 1 and drive 2. My drive 1 already has a Windows 10 RS5/19H1 installed, and I want to install a Windows 10RS5 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by guru379, Jan 23, 2020.

1. guru379 Win User

Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and...

I have 2 physical drives drive 1 and drive 2.

My drive 1 already has a Windows 10 RS5/19H1 installed, and I want to install a Windows 10RS5 on my drive 2.

on Driver 1, I can see for partitions:

- Ssytem

- Recovery

- MSR

- Primary

I first tried to boot from a USB stick and tried to install RS5 on the drive 2. It installed windows successfully,

now I See there are only 2 new partitions created that is Primary and MSR, and looks like OS loader got installed into System partition when I was installing OS on Driver 2.

Is it expected behavior of Windows? As this doesn't Allow to boot from Drive 2 alone, Drive 1 has to be present then only can boot from Drive 2.

OR need to install OS on each driver separately.

Is this known issue/feature with Windows OS installer? is there any documentation on this behavior?

:)

guru379, Jan 23, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 23, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Avocado Win User

Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and...

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

You can use the "bcdedit /export" command to create a backup file of the current system store contents.

bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak

You can then use the "bcdedit /import" command if you want to restore the state of the system store.

bcdedit /import c:\bcd.bak

How to use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu on a dual-boot PC (works on both GPT and MBR disks)

If you've installed more than one copy of Windows on a PC, you can use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu.

For example: How to add Windows 7 entry to the boot menu.

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following commands.

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 7 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 7 partition)

Now you should see the Windows 7 and Windows 10 entries on the dual-boot screen.

Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and... [​IMG]

Windows 7 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and... [​IMG]

Windows 10 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

How to restore the Windows 7 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 7 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to restore the Windows 10 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to fix the Windows 10 bootloader

Look at post #24 in this thread: How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

Avocado, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Issue while installing Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot, shared system and... - Similar Threads - Issue while installing

2. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install windows without dual boot: Hello, i have 2 m.2 ssd's that i want to install windows on however it seems that if i try to install a second instance of windows on the second one it automatically enables the windows dual boot stuff. For my practice i have to make sure this doesnt happen and so far the...
  3. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows without dual boot: Hello, i have 2 m.2 ssd's that i want to install windows on however it seems that if i try to install a second instance of windows on the second one it automatically enables the windows dual boot stuff. For my practice i have to make sure this doesnt happen and so far the...
  4. How to install windows without dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual Boot Windows 10 and 11 while sharing settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 and 11 while sharing settings: Is it possible to install both windows 10 and 11 and tell them to share some settings/files, eg the stuff determining which apps are shown in the apps & features list, the desktop shortcuts and layout, taskbar, startmenu, autostart apps, etc. so i can switch between the two...
  6. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  7. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  9. Dual Op Systems on separate drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual Op Systems on separate drives: Hello everyone, So I'm new to the whole computer game and a little naive when it comes to it. I recently installed a new SSD to replace my old one and in doing so my pc recognized my two SSD's but no longer can find my HDD. After giving up on that problem, I had a great...
  10. Bitlocker issues while Dual Booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker issues while Dual Booting: I have Linux dual booted with windows10 in my laptop, everytime I try to open windows, Bitlocker shows up, and I have to enter a big long password to open windows, So, I tried to disable bitlocker, I have 5 partitions, I successfully disabled bitlocker for 3 partitions these...