Windows 10: Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.

Discus and support Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey there, I was hoping perhaps someone would have an answer to a problem that is driving me nuts. I am on a relatively new Nov 2019 HP Omen machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rcooper102, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.

Hey there, I was hoping perhaps someone would have an answer to a problem that is driving me nuts. I am on a relatively new Nov 2019 HP Omen machine connected to a pair of identical 4k Asus monitors. also both brand new in Nov What happens is once in a while I start having an issue where every few seconds one of the screens goes black for about half a second then returns to normal.

It is VERY strange as it seems to be completely random in regards to which screen it happens with. There is no consistency. It also seems to happen for periods of time then go away. For example, right now the computer is basically unusable it is happening so often but in an hour it may stop happening completely and I might not have a problem again for days. The frequency of the black screens also changes, sometimes it is once every 5min, other times it is every 5 seconds.

Note, it is always only one screen. Never both at the same time which suggests to me it isn't the display driver crashing or something like that? I may be wrong?

So far I have tried all of the following:

- Rebooting

- Uninstalled and re-installed the GPU drivers multiple times and have confirmed that I am on the latest version.

- Re-installing Windows 10 from scratch and have confirmed I am on the latest version of windows.

- Purchasing new DisplayPort cables for the screens even though their cables were brand new

- Adjusting my power options to high performance

- Unplugging one of the screens and only running a single screen.

- Disabling features like G-sync

- Swapped out to a brand new, high quality, power bar.

- Running an extension cord from another room so that the screens are drawing from a different circuit than the computer. in case I am overloading the circuit

- Cleaning the display ports though they didn't really need it since they are basically brand new

Nothing seems to help. There is no increase or decrease in the frequency of it happening when the computer is under heavy load. aka I could be running a high spec game or I could be sitting on the desktop with the computer completely idle and no apps open, it still happens

I'm at my wit's end with it, it is driving me crazy. The only things I can think of remaining are:

A It is a problem with the power supply in my apartment. Perhaps old wiring not providing sufficiently consistent power? This could explain the intermittent-ness of the problem? It only happens when other tenants in the building are consuming higher than normal? Say running appliances? I don't really have any way to test or confirm this though? If this is the case would a UPS help? I know UPSes protect against complete loss of power but do they help with minor fluctuations? I really know nothing about them and don't want to go drop several hundred on one if it isn't going to help at all. Does this theory even make sense? I'm grasping at straws...

B There is some sort of problem with either my Mobo, GPU, or PSU? How would I go about diagnosing which?

C It is some software or driver issue that I haven't considered?

Any help would be fantastic. I'm running out of ideas and since it is so intermittent it is hard to go take it back to the store for warranty work as I can't prove it is happening. Plus I have no idea if it is even the computer that is the problem.

Thanks so much for any guidance.

My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 10.0.

i7-9700k @ 3.6ghz

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

32 GB of RAM Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz 2x16gb

Windows is installed on a 256gb M.2 PCIE SSD

HP 8509 Mobo

The screens are a pair of Acer 32" 4K UHD 60Hz 4ms GTG VA LED FreeSync ET322QK

:)

rcooper102, Mar 1, 2020

2. Monitor is going black or distorted white randomly

I have a LCD monitor on my computer. Randomly, the monitor will either go completely black (as if powered off, and the power light turns off) or it will get a distorted frozen white screen (like how your smartphone would look if you dropped it in a toilet and tried to turn it on). Not too surprising, I have not dropped this 21 inch monitor in a toilet. The only way I can get the monitor to work again is by unplugging it and plugging it back in

I'm pretty sure that it is just a dead monitor that needs to be replaced, but a friend suggested that it might just be the power cord, since the monitor will work (like it is now) for hours on end, then suddenly start randomly not working. It's worth checking out, but before dropping money on a new monitor (if it isn't the power cord), can anyone confirm (or strongly suggest) that it is not a CPU issue or video card? Or maybe someone has seen this before?

Steven Rayback, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Monitors go black!!!!!!

Hi Matt,

· Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to check if there is any failed or pending Windows updates, refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Go to ‘Settings’ and click on ‘Update and Security’.

2. Under ‘Windows Update’ click on ‘Advanced Option’.

3. Click on ‘View your update history’.

4. Check whether any updates are failed, if any try to install the updates and check.

I suggest you to perform system restore as below and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to perform a System restore to gain back access to all your documents, pictures, mails, etc.

Steps:-

• Press “Windows key + R” Keys to open Run window.
    • On run command type “rstrui.exe” (without double code) and press
      OK.
    • Select the restore point and follow the onscreen instruction.

System Restore Disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

To contact Microsoft refer to the below link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Mar 1, 2020
  4. anaron Win User

Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.

Primary monitor randomly goes black

Got a monitor issue. Looked at other posts about this issue be could not find anything addressing my issue. Over the past few months, my primary monitor randomly (no pattern to the issue) goes black but the led shows it to still be working. Secondary monitor is working. Only way to get the primary back is to reboot the computer. I tried reversing the DVI-D cable but no luck, primary still goes black. Regardless of which monitor is set to primary, that is the monitor that goes black. The monitor set as secondary never goes black. Any ideas?

anaron, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.

1. Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes. - Similar Threads - Issue monitors randomly

2. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  3. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  4. External monitor goes black for 2-3 seconds, every few minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor goes black for 2-3 seconds, every few minutes: TL;DR Solution: buy active adapter to connect monitor to dock. Problem: I am having this issue with Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock new version - v2? + External Monitor. Context: This old post from 2015 was closed without a clear answer:...
  5. Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes

Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes: This began to happen fairly recently, probably over the past few days. My audio is cutting out/lagging randomly when listening to Spotify and/or playing games for example. I'm using a DGX Xonar 5.1 soundcard for my toslink hi-fi system, as well as bluetooth headphones and...
  6. Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...: Yea so it's occuring every 5 minutes and is getting annoying, (the mouse cursor will disappear briefly for 1 second before the sound kicks in) I checked event viewer and there are many red error messages. Most are related to defrag error of both my SSD and HDD, some...
  7. Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes: I installed a new SSD into my Dell Insperon 13-7352, now the computer will randomly go to sleep every when it is being used. I've done some searching online and I thin the problem is similar to this one:...
  8. HDMI connection makes my TV/monitor black out for a few seconds every few minutes.

HDMI connection makes my TV/monitor black out for a few seconds every few minutes.: I just purchased a ASUS laptop, Windows 10 Pro and when I connect my tv with HDMI connection, the tv turns black for a second or two often. Connecting to my ASUS Chromebook with the same HDMI is not a problem. I updated m display adapters and still not working well....
  9. Monitor going black for few seconds

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor going black for few seconds: I have a Dell SE2416H external monitor going black for a few seconds. This will happen 3 or 4 time within 5 minutes and not again for a one or two hours. I have a Dell Laptop 15-5567 connected with a Moread MDMI adapter. I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this. ANY help?...
  10. Monitor going black for few seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor going black for few seconds: I have a Dell SE2416H external monitor going black for a few seconds. This will happen 3 or 4 time within 5 minutes and not again for a one or two hours. I have a Dell Laptop 15-5567 connected with a Moread MDMI adapter. I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this. ANY help?...