Windows 10: Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade.

Discus and support Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded my HP laptop last week to Win10 20H2 19042.630 I store all my documents, photos etc. in a directory structure on one of my disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Graham Keen_50, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade.

Hi,

I upgraded my HP laptop last week to Win10 20H2 19042.630

I store all my documents, photos etc. in a directory structure on one of my disk drives. I have a mapped Network Drive Z: to it and all my programs access my data through it. I have been using this method for many years.

Since I upgraded to 20H2, everything that requires a file access is running extremely slowly. Excel for example takes about a minute to save a spreadsheet that normally would have taken a second or two. It is also noticeable that saving using Ctrl-S pops up a "Save As" dialogue box that sits there for the duration of the save, not just "Save".

If I open Excel and access directly, i.e. not using the Z: mapping, then it opens and saves instantaneously as it always has.

Any thoughts ? It really is slow, Outlook can take 3 minutes now to open and occasionally even longer to close.

Regards,

Graham.

:)

Graham Keen_50, Dec 17, 2020
  2. fatpat Win User

Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Dec 17, 2020
  3. fatpat Win User
    Mapped Drives Issues

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362.900. This is my home computer running in a work group. I have two NAS devices on the network. All of my home computers have mapped drives pointing to the two NAS devices. All of the computers except my main machine have no issues with the mapped drives.

On may Main machine the mapped drives would never reconnect when I booted the machine. The drives would appear windows explorer's left hand frame with a red X. If I clicked on the either of the two drives, Windows would pop-up a message saying there was an error reconnecting but then would proceed to connect and display the drive contents in the right hand frame of Windows Explore. After that the red X would disappear and they would function as normal.

Two days ago Windows explore stopped displaying the mapped drives. I can ping the drives. I see the drives under the network tab. If I right click on the NAS drive and then click open the drive folders display in Windows Explore. If I try to re-map the drives, Win Explore says they are already mapped and displays them in the mapped list. If i use the "Net Use" command it displays the two mapped drives indicating that they are already mapped. I've tried the "disconnect network drive" option and then re-added the network drives.

I still can't get the drives to list in the the left hand drive list in Windows Explorer. It's a real pain to go thru the network devices -> right click -> open sequence every time I need to access the NAS drives.

How can I fix this issue?

fatpat, Dec 17, 2020
  4. DMyr Win User

Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade.

Trouble Mapping Network Drive

I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the
    computer I am currently using. The drive is shown under network locations in File Explorer but not when you select map network drive and browse. I right clicked on the drive and selected properties and noted the IP address and went back into Map network drive
    but instead of selecting browse I entered the IP address but it still does not map the drive. The strange part is if I go to any of the computers that already has the network drive mapped and select Map network drive and select browse none of those computers
    show the drive either but you can select the mapped drive in the drive list in file explorer and it works just fine.

I have read several articles both here and elsewhere and tried the suggestions but nothing works. Network discovery is turned on as is file sharing and also checked if all three boxes under SMB file sharing support in Windows features were also checked and
    they are. I have mapped several computers to several different drives over the years and anytime the drive was not listed it was always easy to go into Network Sharing Centre and find the problem but everything seems to be as it should so would appreciate
    if someone can suggest something I may have overlooked.

Thank you

Thema:

Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade.

1. Issue with a "Network Mapped Drive" after 20H2 upgrade. - Similar Threads - Issue Network Mapped

2. Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.: Hi all,I've been mapping a Onedrive location as a Network Drive on Win 11 for a while now, but recently the mapping has died. It coincides with changing the securities for the Microsoft account it is associated with. On the home PC, after I reverted the Microsoft account back...
  3. Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.: Hi all,I've been mapping a Onedrive location as a Network Drive on Win 11 for a while now, but recently the mapping has died. It coincides with changing the securities for the Microsoft account it is associated with. On the home PC, after I reverted the Microsoft account back...
  4. Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11: For my company, we have a main UPS computer that all other computers connect to remotely on the network.We have always make a Map Network Drive to the UPS Computer. We have been doing this for years. But when I tried it yesterday on our newest computer, the new computer can...
  5. Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11

Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11: For my company, we have a main UPS computer that all other computers connect to remotely on the network.We have always make a Map Network Drive to the UPS Computer. We have been doing this for years. But when I tried it yesterday on our newest computer, the new computer can...
  6. Mapping Network Drives

Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  7. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  8. Map Network Drive issue

Map Network Drive issue: I have three NAS units attached to my LAN. Their names differ only in the first letter. I Map network drives for example NET USE A: \\Aserver\x /Persistent:Yes NET USE B: \\Bserver\x /Persistent:Yes or by the Map Network Drive in the GUI This is all OK. However, when...
  9. Mapping Network Drive Issues

Mapping Network Drive Issues: We have a external hard drive attached to our router that is accessible to our small business on our network. We have 3 other computers (2 Windows and 1 Mac) that are accessing it now. But we got 2 new computers that were just added to the network and I can not find the drive...
  10. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...