Windows 10: Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account

Discus and support Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A few details: I purchased Windows 7 before the free upgrade to Windows 10 became available, and gladly switched over to Windows 10 Pro in 2016. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by freedfromfear, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account

A few details:
    I purchased Windows 7 before the free upgrade to Windows 10 became available, and gladly switched over to Windows 10 Pro in 2016.

My current Windows 10 version I was able to verify is a retail copy, which should be transferable to new hardware as long as I connect my digital license to my Microsoft account. According to my Info page in settings, it is connected to my account.

My current motherboard is now breaking, and since I built my own PC my intent is to purchase new parts and use several parts from my old PC in the new one which includes the hard drive. This may or may not be recommended by some people due to driver compatibility issues when using new hardware, but I have a decent solid state drive and since I'm upgrading this PC on a budget it's simply what I need to do since I cant afford a new one. I would prefer not to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows, although that is a last ditch option. I'm used to dealing with software or hardware problems myself, so i don't believe that will cause me any real issues that I can't resolve.

Now the issue that I'm having though:
    When logging in to the Microsoft store on my PC, I noticed that Windows 10 Pro does NOT show up under my Library when logged in.
    However it DOES show up under my library when I'm NOT logged in... If I log out of my Microsoft account and am logged in to no user it shows that Microsoft 10 Pro is under my Library.

I then logged in to my Microsoft account in my browser to confirm, and the PC that I'm currently using does show up on my account when logged in to the browser, which seems to confirm that my account is connected to this copy of Windows 10 I would think.

My concern is that if I transfer my hard drive to my new hardware my Windows 10 Pro will not properly activate and I'll have to buy a new copy, and as stated above I simply do not have extra money to throw at this computer which is why I will be using the old SSD.

So I guess my question is, is there a way that I can confirm what seems to be conflicting information between my Microsoft account and PC saying that Windows is connected to my Microsoft account while the Microsoft Store seems to think that it isnt?
    Is there a way to know for sure that it is properly connected beyond looking at my account info or activation settings, both of which seem to indicate that it is? Does the fact that it does NOT show up in the Microsoft Store under my library when I'm logged into my Microsoft account, and only shows up when I'm not logged in to any account, mean that it isn't properly connected?

:)

freedfromfear, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Identifying PC's from Digital Activation in microsoft account

You will not need the product key to transfer a license. You have done it correctly by using a Microsoft account to register your digital licenses. it makes the transfer easy.

When you have replaced the motherboard and boot the PC in its deactivated state, check the computer name. It has remained unchanged, being the same it was before motherboard was replaced. When you know the PC name, select I recently changed hardware on this device:

Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account [​IMG]

Sign in with your MS account. You will get a list of your registered devices. Select the same PC from the list, click Activate and continue following on-screen instructions:

Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account [​IMG]

Tutorial: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

In my case, I have never had any issues to do this. Only information you will need is the name of the PC to transfer its license to new hardware setup.

3. cereberus Win User
    Identifying PC's from Digital Activation in microsoft account

If OP clean installs on new PC, name does change. OP will need to do it by elimination ie eliminate names of all current pcs from list in online MS account, so OP can work out which pc name is one of failed mobo.

If OP uses same hard drive and does not reinstall, this is not an issue.

cereberus, Jun 28, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account

Important W10 activation key questions left unanswered by Microsoft

Not only that, you can check your M$ account and see what devices are listed there, so you know if you can do a clean install or not. Do the upgrade, get it activated, verify that it is listed in your account, then feel free to do a fresh install without activation issues ever.

cadaveca, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account

1. Issue with confirming windows activation digital key is properly connected to microsoft account - Similar Threads - Issue confirming activation

2. Microsoft confirms Windows database connection issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows database connection issues: Microsoft confirmed that client and server versions of its Windows operating system are affected by a database connection issue. The issue affects Windows devices that have the latest updates, released on the November 2022 patch day, installed, according to Microsoft's...
  3. Windows Keys, digital keys major issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Keys, digital keys major issues: I purchased two windows keys from the microsoft website a few years ago. all of my pc's have been running fine for years.A few days ago one of my pc's became deactivated no idea howa brief history:purchased a Lenovo All In One, which came installed with windows 8, I purchased...
  4. Windows Keys, digital keys major issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Keys, digital keys major issues: I purchased two windows keys from the microsoft website a few years ago. all of my pc's have been running fine for years.A few days ago one of my pc's became deactivated no idea howa brief history:purchased a Lenovo All In One, which came installed with windows 8, I purchased...
  5. Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?: Hi! I have an asus laptop which i did a clean install of Windows 11 at one point. It came with Windows 10 when i bought it.I just realized today that when i go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices i can see 2 identical devices with the same laptop same serial number but...
  6. Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?: Hi! I have an asus laptop which i did a clean install of Windows 11 at one point. It came with Windows 10 when i bought it.I just realized today that when i go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices i can see 2 identical devices with the same laptop same serial number but...
  7. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 bug causes internet connectivity issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 bug causes internet connectivity issues: Windows 10 May 2020 Update has received fixes for major bugs in Microsoft’s monthly patches for July, but it looks like the update has yet another unpatched problem and it has been finally acknowledged by Microsoft. Microsoft has acknowledged that Windows 10 version 2004 is...
  8. Windows is activated with a digital license key linked to your Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows is activated with a digital license key linked to your Microsoft account: I have installed Windows 10 Pro to My PC. In activation section, it shows that "Windows is activated with a digital license key linked to your Microsoft account" Now how can I be sure that this windows version is GENUINE? Please help......
  9. Windows activation and digital keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows activation and digital keys: Hi I have a Lenovo Z50 laptop which originally had Win 8.1 installed I upgraded free to Win 10 but after an update maybe 2 months ago everything went wrong, I had a black screen no curser, no control, no access, I had to do the three forced shutdowns to reset and now I have...
  10. Digital activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital activation key: Where can I find the digital activation key? I upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 and have just had to reinstall the software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/digital-activation-key/bdf54bcf-5912-4802-b53f-8f3c9eed6b82"