Windows 10: Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open.

Discus and support Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since the latest update has been released I have been having nothing but issues with the the CPU fan on my HP Pavilion laptop ramping upto 100% and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by David-Nicholls, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open.

Since the latest update has been released I have been having nothing but issues with the the CPU fan on my HP Pavilion laptop ramping upto 100% and just sitting there for hours on end even if I do not open applications. However as soon as I open "Task Manager" to view what is causing the issue within a few seconds of it opening the CPU Fan drops to virtually nothing and can no longer be heard.

I am seeing this effect even when I am running application on the laptop, however it was never an issue until the recent updates that have been pushed out.

For those who will ask:

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit Version 2004 OS build 19041.572

CPU - Intel Core i5-8250U @ 1.6Ghz 1.8GHz Boost

8GB Ram

256Gb SSD

Intel UHD 620 Graphics.

And before anyone say the real obviously stupid thing of, but your system has an iGPU so you cpu will get hot... This was never an issue until the recent Windows Updates...

Can anyone point me in the direction of what the heck is happening, especially as the fan settles down to an actual sensible speed as soon as you open Task manager...

This just does not make any sense...

:)

David-Nicholls, Oct 20, 2020

2. CPU Usage 100% and idle process is 100%

My CPU usage shows permanently 100% in task manager (in "Processes" tab) even my system idle process (in "Details" tab) is almost 100% and the CPU runs hot - fan is permanently on - CPU speed (in "Performance" tab) is always a bit above maximum speed!!!
    McAfee doen't show any virus problem. HP Spectre.

OttoFluder, Oct 20, 2020
  3. Task manager showing 100% CPU usage at idle.

Task manager is showing 100% CPU usage at idle. If you look into the details to see what if anything is really using that much processing power and it shows "system idle process" at 99-100% when at idle. This is normal I know but task manager should not
    be including "system idle process" when its calculating CPU usage. This is causing my CPU to ramp up and my fans to stay at full speed at ALL times.

Things I've tried:

*Re installing windows. (multiple different ways and at different times throughout the diagnosing process)

*Removed all ram and just a single stick (multiple different known good sticks) & and two sticks

*Removed GPU

*Cleared cmos

*Bios Update

*Multiple different bios setting and power settings

*Adjusted all windows power settings plugged in and on battery (tho this is a pc)

I'm at a loss. There is no performance loss but having my CPU automatically overclock and fans at full speed all the time is not going to work.

Oh and on a weird side note, few nights ago was working on fixing this issue like usual and ended up accidently leaving the computer on all night (which I don't do because I don't like leaving the CPU overclocked it see's about 50-60c at idle) when I woke
    up and went to turn computer off CPU usage was at 1-4%...!!!! I was shocked and thought that some how it must have updated widows and fixed the issue. But issue came back next re-boot.

SYSTEM SPECS:

Mother Board = z77a-gb65

CPU = i3 3240

RAM = 16g (4x4g 2 corsair 2 pny)

GPU = Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Thank you to anyone that can help...

AudiMyMindS4, Oct 20, 2020
  4. NickOttWU Win User

Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open.

CPU fan not working properly

The fans are always idle no matter how hot the cpu gets, its hottest ive seen it at is 83 degrees Celsius. the cooling policy is active but they always run low idle, they used to speed up all the time now they don't.does anybody have any suggestions?

Original Title: Fans are always idle

NickOttWU, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open.

1. Issue with CPU fan Speed ramping up to 100% consistently, even when idle and no apps open. - Similar Threads - Issue CPU fan

2. high fan speed when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high fan speed when idle: hello,I bought a new gaming laptop, the laptop is totally new and clean, after 2 days from buying it, I have noticed an issue, the fan is on 2000 RPM when idle , according to task manger, most of the time CPU usage around 1% to 5%, the problem has started two days ago, before...
  3. high fan speed when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high fan speed when idle: hello,I bought a new gaming laptop, the laptop is totally new and clean, after 2 days from buying it, I have noticed an issue, the fan is on 2000 RPM when idle , according to task manger, most of the time CPU usage around 1% to 5%, the problem has started two days ago, before...
  4. BSOD and then fans ramp to 100% while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and then fans ramp to 100% while gaming: I just bought a brand new AMD RYZEN 3 4100 RX 570 8GB GAMING DESKTOP, first time ever owning a PC so i'm starting relatively cheap. It's been running everything perfectly fine quality and frames wise however when I play overwatch, occasionally I will get a BSOD and my fans...
  5. BSOD and then fans ramp to 100% while gaming

BSOD and then fans ramp to 100% while gaming: I just bought a brand new AMD RYZEN 3 4100 RX 570 8GB GAMING DESKTOP, first time ever owning a PC so i'm starting relatively cheap. It's been running everything perfectly fine quality and frames wise however when I play overwatch, occasionally I will get a BSOD and my fans...
  6. %100 CPU usage even It is idle %97 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    %100 CPU usage even It is idle %97 ?: Hello, This is my first time posting anything here, so If I need to add a file please let me know.I have an issue as the title suggests, I did everything I can but can't figure out why this is happening. I know this is one of the oldest bug-glitch in task manager that shows...
  7. %100 CPU usage even It is idle %97 ?

%100 CPU usage even It is idle %97 ?: Hello, This is my first time posting anything here, so If I need to add a file please let me know.I have an issue as the title suggests, I did everything I can but can't figure out why this is happening. I know this is one of the oldest bug-glitch in task manager that shows...
  8. %100 CPU usage even It is idle %97 ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. PC fan randomly ramps up while idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC fan randomly ramps up while idle: The other day I spilled some water near my setup's power strip. I quickly turned it off, but after some inspection I found that no water ended up getting into any electronics. I turned it back on and everything seemed to work just fine, but I noticed that when I'm not using...
  10. CPU goes to 100% even when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU goes to 100% even when idle: Windows 10 Pro, i7 6th gen, 16 gigs of ram running on a Dell latitude 7470 machine. The processor goes to a 100 quite often and makes the fan run at full speed. As soon I open the task manager, the percentage comes down and the fan turns itself off. Any solution will help....